Royal Range fumbles the ball

Caster

The wife stopped by today.  She was gonna pick something I been after, waiting....waiting....waiting, she finally asked the guy behind the counter if this is where you check out.  He said I'll be right with you.  He WAS with another customer after all.  The other customer was 'shopping' and we all know that takes time because men in gun shop are ten times worse than a woman in a show store.  The customer was nice and said, I'm in no hurry, gesturing that he should ring up what she was buying, it would only take a second anyway.  Well, he didn't and she waited, and waited.  NOT the only guy behind the counter mind you.  

Finally an older guy made his way across the shop and took care of her. 

Maybe I'm making more out of it than I should but it should NOT take 20+++ minutes to buy anything that requires no paperwork.  Especially with multiple employees and more than one cash register.  

Here's a bit of business advice for everyone, Paying customers should never wait in a line that doesn't exist.  If you're running a business, you're there to make money, not have a social gathering.  If you currently have more employees than customers on the floor, THERE IS NO WAITING IN LINE.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 6

Well that's strike three as far as I'm concerned. Too bad, too, because I live less than ten minutes from there. I might use their range to zero my AR if they ever actually open it, but I doubt they'll ever see a purchase from me unless they figure something out. The problem is, I'm a firm believer that attitude reflects leadership and if the rumor is true that they just had a big turnover in staff, then I can guess where the problem must lie, which means it isn't likely to change any time soon.

Man, that really sucks, too. I was looking forward to having a truly local gun shop.

I hear you Lager, I was going to make my next suppressor purchase there for the sheer convenience of being so close. As it is, I'll go right back to one of our vendor sponsors here (where I bought my first one). Worth the extra couple of miles.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Here's a bit of business advice for everyone, Paying customers should never wait in a line that doesn't exist.  If you're running a business, you're there to make money, not have a social gathering.  If you currently have more employees than customers on the floor, THERE IS NO WAITING IN LINE.  

Well I guess we can count on them never advertising on TGO since they can count on us to use the power of the Internet to slam them for taking care of one customer instead of taking care of another customer.   I mean, after all it doesn't sound like they were socializing and just ignoring you.  It sounds like they had a customer at the counter, no matter if the other customer told them to go ahead or not.

Guns aren't low-dollar sales.  Walking away from a customer on the cusp of making a large purchase can give that customer all the opportunity he or she needs to embrace indecision, talk themselves out of it, and take their money somewhere else.  Ask anyone who works on commission and they'll tell you that you don't do that.

I think as consumers we've all become pretty damn whiney.  We expect instant service, unlimited selections, and for retailers to kiss our butts while making shoestring margins, and there's hell to pay for a company's reputation on the Internet if they don't deliver all of it with a smile in 30-minutes or less.

For what it's worth, I have spoken with Royal Range recently about becoming an advertiser on TGO.  We really need advertisers.  We don't have near as many now as we once did and that really cuts into our operating capital.  I'm sure if they read this thread, it'll weigh into their decision to support TGO.  Any why the heck shouldn't it?

• Like 3

Ha!  I'll chime in.

I have bought from Royal Range.  I bought my Sig range-finder there.  ... for a price lower than you could find on the inter-webs.  They had incredible prices on LWRC rifles.  Scotty has always been incredibly friendly when I run into him there.

I can also say that they have room for imrovement in handling multiple customers and "focus" on customer activity/needs, but I am willing to give them time to accept some constructive critisism and figure it out.  The prices @ RR are way too low to give up on them so easily. 

Some gun store employees think they are very special, which in turn makes then a douche bag in my book. If there are salesmen available just shooting the breeze my wait time is counted in seconds not minutes or I walk.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

I've stopped in at Royal a few times for accessories and ammo. I've been happy with their prices, selection, and haven't been disappointed in the service. Plus the facility itself is super nice. I did have to wait a few minutes to get some SD ammo, but it wasn't for more than about 5 minutes.

That said, if they are reading TGO, one piece of advice might be to have someone at the register for non-gun purchases. They have a ton of ammo, gear, and accessories. Buying that stuff is more like a regular shopping experience. I want to fill up my basket and go to the cashier and be on my way. I don't really need a personal attendant like when purchasing a firearm. But if I have to wait for a staff member to finish with a firearm sale, that does kind of slow down an otherwise straight-forward transaction.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2

That said, if they are reading TGO, one piece of advice might be to have someone at the register for non-gun purchases. They have a ton of ammo, gear, and accessories. Buying that stuff is more like a regular shopping experience. I want to fill up my basket and go to the cashier and be on my way. I don't really need a personal attendant like when purchasing a firearm. But if I have to wait for a staff member to finish with a firearm sale, that does kind of slow down an otherwise straight-forward transaction.

Grrrreat suggestion.

I value this website and the information here, but not so much that I would want the membership to start sugar coating reviews just because a business may or may not become a sponsor somewhere down the road. Maybe if a business realizes how poor service can lead to a bad review on the Internet, costing them business, then some of the issues will be corrected. Nobody wins if we get scolded for posting the truth.
Customer Service is a skill. I don't care who you are, where you are from, what you're dressed like or what you are wearing. If you've got money, I've got the time. Waiting is a skill. Patience is too. I've had to ask people to wait before and it's NOT a proud moment for me. I sell things that are much more exspensive than a gun of any kind. While I think 20+ minutes is a bit high, things happen. I wouldn't judge if I wasn't the one who was there. Your wife clearly had the patience and kindness to wait. Personally, myself, I would have walked out and left it at that.

David is right, slamming a business isn't ok. Feedback helps us, sharing information helps us, constructive criticism is always helpful. We aren't all wordsmiths, and God knows I'm not innocent of this but often times we let our emotions get the best of us. Personally, my LGS has 3 registers. They've always got an attendant at one and they're ALWAYS busy. Staffing and hours could be an issue. Lots of things could have caused that experience today, but again, constructive criticism is much more helpful.

Also, I would suggest having the costs of being of benefactor raised a bit. It would help offset the lack of vendor sponsors. ;)

Paying customers should never wait in a line that doesn't exist.  If you're running a business, you're there to make money, not have a social gathering.  If you currently have more employees than customers on the floor, THERE IS NO WAITING IN LINE.  

This!

It takes less than a minute to check out a customer.  This is basic customer service.  Even a few minutes has never put anyone off in my experience.  I easily could have handled both the actual sale and the potential sale.  

The potential customer who is getting pitched to will not mind waiting for a minute or so.  They never do.  Gives them time to think anyway.  

the clerk was clearly wrong in this situation. 

Well I guess we can count on them never advertising on TGO since they can count on us to use the power of the Internet to slam them for taking care of one customer instead of taking care of another customer.   I mean, after all it doesn't sound like they were socializing and just ignoring you.  It sounds like they had a customer at the counter, no matter if the other customer told them to go ahead or not.

Guns aren't low-dollar sales.  Walking away from a customer on the cusp of making a large purchase can give that customer all the opportunity he or she needs to embrace indecision, talk themselves out of it, and take their money somewhere else.  Ask anyone who works on commission and they'll tell you that you don't do that.

I think as consumers we've all become pretty damn whiney.  We expect instant service, unlimited selections, and for retailers to kiss our butts while making shoestring margins, and there's hell to pay for a company's reputation on the Internet if they don't deliver all of it with a smile in 30-minutes or less.

For what it's worth, I have spoken with Royal Range recently about becoming an advertiser on TGO.  We really need advertisers.  We don't have near as many now as we once did and that really cuts into our operating capital.  I'm sure if they read this thread, it'll weigh into their decision to support TGO.  Any why the heck shouldn't it?

You quoted so I know you read what I posted. ...but I'll repeat it for emphasis.

If you have more employees on the floor than customers (which was the case) there's NO reason people should have to wait. Every employee on the floor should have the ability to ring up merchandise I would think. Could be wrong.
If you don't feel this thread has the forums best interest in mind, you certainly have the tools,and talent to remedy that, just press delete. Not like you need permission to do so, nor would you get any complaints from me.

Some fair points all around here, but like most things I believe there is a common ground. 

Gun owners have become quite whinny about wanting things both fast and cheap.  The later may not be very possible in a brick and mortar store.  It doesn't help that here in Tennessee, any LGS is at a disadvantage against the internet due to inventory volume and our state sales tax.  As to the fast part, I agree that any gun shop should have a dedicated employee to a register for non-firearm purchases.  Even a "ring the bell for service" system will suffice, just have someone that can break away from floor sales, or re-stocking, and come ring up items for someone wanting to check out and be on their way.  If a LGS wants us to buy ammo and other supplies at their price, they need to make the experience much easier and friendlier than say, Walmart or PSA's read a book and wait shipping time to get us to spend that extra money.

Customer service is a fine line for sure.  I've been into gun shops where I've all but been ignored after a "hello" unless I got their attention and I've had others where I felt like I was being pressured to make a purchase as if the salesman's next meal depended on it.  Honestly, I just want someone to be there if I need assistance or have a question, but not be in "my space" until then. 

As to how it matters to TGO...I'd hate to ever feel like I have to bite my tongue on giving an honest opinion on a business just because they are a sponsor.  I feel like our community feedback matters too much to be filtered.  With that, the members should want to make sure when they log on to scathe a business with their keyboard, they should have good reason, through a progression of dissatisfaction.  A one time experience should not be worthy complaint about unless it is something that cost them money or was personally insulting (and not just to your pride).  Attempts should also have been made to speak with the manager or supervisor on duty and allow the business a chance to fix the problem.  Mistakes happen, we make them, and so do employees & managers..  A good business will apologize and do what they can to fix it, and thank you for bringing it to their attention.  Now, if you go a few times, get ignored by staff and the management, come here and let the community know there are better places to take their business.  But I think we need to police ourselves and make the guidelines clear before we crusade against every shortcoming of a business.

I don't mind waiting for service if the employees are obviously busy with other customers, but to be ignored otherwise is a deal breaker. I walked out of a LGS with $1500 that I was ready to make a purchase right then and there because two employees doing nothing at all stood talking to each other while I waited at the counter with no one else in the store. I purchased the same AR at another store the same day. It was a small store and I am sure the owner, who was not there would not want to lose that sale, but if you don't provide reasonable customer service, word will spread.

Ok, I hope this story makes sense: I used to be a self-employed service and repair plumber. No employees, just a one man shop, no advertising, just growing by word of mouth. At least twice, I went to newly referred customers houses to fix something and they told me "we had a plumber out six months ago to fix this, but they didn't fix it right, and quit working after they left". Both times, I asked them if they called the plumber to complain, both said no. This scared me to death. I was a pretty good plumber, but not perfect. I would want to know if something I thought I fixed wasn't fixed. If I had employees, I would want to know they were not getting the job done.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, I hope this story makes sense: I used to be a self-employed service and repair plumber. No employees, just a one man shop, no advertising, just growing by word of mouth. At least twice, I went to newly referred customers houses to fix something and they told me "we had a plumber out six months ago to fix this, but they didn't fix it right, and quit working after they left". Both times, I asked them if they called the plumber to complain, both said no. This scared me to death. I was a pretty good plumber, but not perfect. I would want to know if something I thought I fixed wasn't fixed. If I had employees, I would want to know they were not getting the job done.

This is very true but then again no one likes to complain.  And complaints are not always met with very well--it only take a couple of antagonist rebuffs to convince most people that it's better to simply move on without saying a word. 

I met up with KahrMan at Royal Range today. We had a good time talking and snooping. Neither of us tried the range this time, but we did partake of the observation hallway. It's a nice setup. The store was slammed with customers. A couple employees told me they weren't expecting such a crowd today, but the range was attracting lots of shooters. That's a good problem to have. One set of employees worked feverishly to clear the line while another set showed guns and gear from behind the counter. I bought a little ammo. The fellow who checked me out was handing out paperwork for those wanting to try the range while ringing me up. They were working as efficient as possible considering the gob of people in the store. With a little patience, we all got where we were going.

• Like 3