Man shoots dog in neighborhood park while kids are playing nearby

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/30722113/man-shoots-dog-in-neighborhood-park-while-kids-are-playing-nearby?clienttype=generic&sf16860216=1

If a person shot one of my dogs ...I really don't know what I would do. I have had a few shot in the past as a kid on my parents farm.  I still don't know what I would do if I found out who did it.  I have been blessed with a lot of dogs in my life.  Big breeds and small breeds.  We were walking our yorkies around our block back in the spring.   A couple was walking their lad off leash it came after our dogs.. ours were on leashes.  could have ended bad for our dogs..I was the one who got it under control.  the owner of the lab was useless.  I got irritated with the lab's owner but not the lab.  But I don't think I could shoot another person's dog unless it was attacking a person, but even then I think i would try other ways first.

Yeah no...sorry, I see a Pit mixed with anything running towards me Im shooting. I aint waiting to see if he wants to play or bite me...

I almost got Tobie killed the same way he slipped his collar and my neighbor put a pistol to his head...I didnt get mad, I see a dog charging towards me and my fams its Done-zo Washington.

Call me a bastard if you will

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

Folks, you have to maintain control of your animals.  Plain and simple.  What was the guy supposed to do?  Wait until he was bitten to defend himself?  If the dog was charging and he had waited he could have been maimed for life or worse!

Any of you guys ever actually been attacked by a dog?  Well, I have.  Several times.  I worked for a gentleman who trained guard dogs back in the late 70s.  He trained dobermans and rottweilers.  On several occassions I was the "bad guy" and wore the pads while the dogs attacked me.  Let me tell you that it is a VERY VERY scary thing. 

So no ...... I'm not going to take a chance on getting bit.  If your animal charges me and gets into my "space" he's a dead dog.  You can react afterwards as you see fit.  But if you attack me afterwards you may be seen as threatening my life and end up with the dog!

• Like 4
I'd be in prison if it happened to me. It WOULDNT happen to me cause I would never take a dog to a park BUT if I did and this happened, I would dead or in prison. Dead means he shot better than me, prison means he didn't. My dog is no longer with me, but I would gladly and without remorse shoot any swinging dick that tried to hurt him.
  • Like 2

The emotional attachment to an attacking dog is immaterial. Dog attacks, dog gets shot. True emotional attachment to a dog includes properly training and restraining it.

That's very true. Anyone who doesn't HANDLE (and that word means a LOT) their dog, doesn't love it and doesn't deserve it.
There's a reason for leash laws.
  • Like 2

If I read this correctly, he had the dog pinned under his knee before he shot it in the head? Where is the danger in that? If you have the animal under control and pinned, then wait for it's owner to come over and get it. Pit or not.

Meanwhile, mister shoot first, think later's Akita bites a 6 year old? Where's the consequences of that? This is right up there with a 67 year old woman in a wal-mart parking lot. Some people should not own a weapon. This man sounds like one of them. 

• Like 2

I'd be in prison if it happened to me. It WOULDNT happen to me cause I would never take a dog to a park BUT if I did and this happened, I would dead or in prison. Dead means he shot better than me, prison means he didn't. My dog is no longer with me, but I would gladly and without remorse shoot any swinging dick that tried to hurt him.

Bingo

Only time I ever drew my handgun was on a dog, I didn't shoot it because it was on a chain I didn't see at first but it was vicious and after me, I had walked around this persons house on a service call, it was her neighbors dog, I didn't see the dog until it was in full charge, I had my Kimber then and had it drawn, thumb safety off, finger on the trigger and front site on the dog just as the chain caught flipping the dog on it's back. The second to the last thing I want to do is have to shoot a dog, the last thing I want to do is get mauled by a dog. I hate seeing someone chaining a dog to a tree all their life, I believe that makes them mean and is cruel, the last dog I had was a 70lb chow/shepard mix house dog. I made sure she had large fenced in yard to roam around plus she got a lot of attention being in the house most of the time.

In one way I was glad that incident happened, i'm glad I didn't have to kill the dog and hated to see it chained up but it was a real test of my reaction with fear and adrenalin involved. I say I passed it.

If I read this correctly, he had the dog pinned under his knee before he shot it in the head? Where is the danger in that? If you have the animal under control and pinned, then wait for it's owner to come over and get it. Pit or not.

I noticed the same thing.  It sounds like the shooter executed the dog after the threat was already neutralized.  I suppose the dog could have still been thrashing around, but it seems suspicious.

The dog's owners learned the hard way how important it is to maintain control of your dog.  At least I hope they've learned for the sake of any future dogs they may own.

• Like 2

I noticed the same thing. It sounds like the shooter executed the dog after the threat was already neutralized. I suppose the dog could have still been thrashing around, but it seems suspicious.

The dog's owners learned the hard way how important it is to maintain control of your dog. At least I hope they've learned for the sake of any future dogs they may own.

That's the worst part. The kids were holding the leash. I don't care how cute it is, that's not responsible. But we don't like to tell kids no these days. Poor dog suffers. Totally ridiculous story.
  • Like 1
If you don't have your dog on a leash, and you're in a public area with other people, dogs and kids, then your are not just an idiot, you're an a**hole. I've had my small pug, who was on a leash, attacked by a large pit/boxer mix while walking him. I would have shot him if he wasn't on top of my dog, but I'm pretty sure I broke a few of his ribs. I do feel bad for the dog, because he's doing what dogs do. It's the owner who is at fault.

Unfortunately, there are irresponsible dog owners out there who believe that their dog is fine being off lead, and others should just deal with it. Well guess what morons, your dog will end up getting shot and it will be your fault. I just don't understand these people. How f'ing hard is it to keep your dog on a leash and respect the law? And then you have people who are outraged that a dog was shot, and not acknowledging that the owner of the animal is ABSOLUTELY the problem here. F'ing morons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, mister shoot first, think later's Akita bites a 6 year old? Where's the consequences of that? This is right up there with a 67 year old woman in a wal-mart parking lot. Some people should not own a weapon. This man sounds like one of them.

You ever pinned a dog in attack mode before? Good luck moving from that position without killing it. Ask a dog handler what it's like trying to subdue a dog which is intent on eating you.

• Like 2

I can't say if the guy shooting the dog was in the right or not but I've dealt with this situation before with my dogs.  I've spent a ton of money on fences over the years and have my dogs on leashes anytime they are out of the fence.  Therefore, I have little sympathy for someone who lets their dog run loose.  If a dog at large attacks my dog on a leash shots will be fired and I will not be sorry for it.

We might have read two different articles.....

No, I read it. What I read was one side of the story from the perspective of the deceased dog's owner. The only facts in that article are that a man shot a dog, and that dog was not in control by the owner at the time of the shooting.

• Like 1

No, I read it. What I read was one side of the story from the perspective of the deceased dog's owner. The only facts in that article are that a man shot a dog, and that dog was not in control by the owner at the time of the shooting.

Kind Sir,

I didn't dispute that fact. In fact I do believe I mentioned they were idiots for letting their children hold the leash.

Kind Sir,

I didn't dispute that fact. In fact I do believe I mentioned they were idiots for letting their children hold the leash.

Okay, so then what are you saying? You suggested that I didn't read the same article as you did. I did. What are your questions?

Okay, so then what are you saying? You suggested that I didn't read the same article as you did. I did. What are your questions?

I have no questions. I just believe we might view this story differently. When I suggested we read different articles that was me being a smart alleck. And now this is kinda getting too deep and argument'ish so I'm gonna go watch The Muppets on Hulu and laugh my head off with my husband. But I do hope you have a great rest of the night! Sorry for the disagreement!

I have no questions. I just believe we might view this story differently. When I suggested we read different articles that was me being a smart alleck. And now this is kinda getting too deep and argument'ish so I'm gonna go watch The Muppets on Hulu and laugh my head off with my husband. But I do hope you have a great rest of the night! Sorry for the disagreement!

Okay, sure. As for disagreement, you posted nothing in response other than your assessment that I read a different article. That isn't in dispute, because I surely did. Other than that, I don't see where you disagreed, since you posted nothing challenging my statements on their merit or logic.

ETA: Of course the victim's dog bit the kid. It was minding its own business with its owner on a leash when it was attacked by another dog. If the kid decides to get so close to the attack, he's going to be seen as a threat too. What can't be argued here is that this man and his dog were minding their own business when they were aggressed. They reacted to a situation they didn't create.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF

The outcome of this story sucks on many levels:

1. The kid who lost control of the dog will feel guilty that their actions led to their pet's death.
  2. The man who shot the dog is obviously a dog lover too and likely feels guilty for having to shoot the poor animal.
  3. In the melee he looses control of his own dog and it bites a kid.
  4. His own dog could possibly be quarantined due to the bite.
  5. The mom probably never imagined their dog would lose it's mind and go after another dog or she wouldn't have let the kid hold the leash.

All in all, just a crappy situation all the way around.

• Like 2