CCW Shooting test requirements?

I have read several different descriptions of the range test. Some say 3yds/7yds/15yds, and other have mentioned that they were out to 25 yards.

Is this a "standardized" test or up to the instructor and facilities capabilites? What was your test like, and did they use silhouette targets?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The State mandates 48 rounds at three distances, 3, 7 and 15 yards.

If an instructor wants to have you shoot additional rounds at additional distances above and beyond what the State mandates, it's their prerogative.

Guest Todd@CIS
The State mandates 48 rounds at three distances, 3, 7 and 15 yards.

If an instructor wants to have you shoot additional rounds at additional distances above and beyond what the State mandates, it's their prerogative.

Not exactly correct...

TN HCP mandated course of fire

12 at the 3

12 at the 7

12 at the 15

last 12...instructor choice, but must be fired from somewhere between 2-25 yards

we did the 3 10 25 ...at the 25 we shot 6 in the body then reloaded and put what ever shells (i think it was 7) we had in and had to put 4 in head rest in body

let me put the state firing test in perspective for you. in my class there was a little old lady in her mid 60's. she stated that she traveled and lived alone so she decided to get her permit. her revolver was a S&W that was 50 years old and had not been fired in over 35 from what she said. she passed with no problem.

that make you feel any better?

I took mine today,we got to shoot a little. If I remember right we got to do 3 mags of 6 rounds @ 3 yds. 3 mags of 6 rounds @ 7 yds. and 3 mags of 6 rounds @ 15 yds.

I took it at ETSU, The instructor did a fine job.

let me put the state firing test in perspective for you. in my class there was a little old lady in her mid 60's. she stated that she traveled and lived alone so she decided to get her permit. her revolver was a S&W that was 50 years old and had not been fired in over 35 from what she said. she passed with no problem.

that make you feel any better?

:lol: Yeah...that's definitely comforting. :D:lol:

I wasn't worried about passing it...I just wondered what to expect. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Guest Waldo0506

When I shot a .380 in the test I ended up with .22 holes in my paper too.

The guy shooting the .22 was 2 lanes down from me :tough:

We all passed. :P

Don't worry about it.

Guest DylisTN

Coal creek last march

48 rounds reqired. I forget the required hit rate.

12 @ 3

12 @ 7

12 @ 15

Next 12 were instructors choice. He chose 12 rapid fire (sort of) @ 3.

I'm pretty sure everbody passed.

3-7-15 yards on a comically huge target. Everyone in my class got a chuckle when he pulled the targets out but I guess it does "simulate" a human-sized form - a real big one at 3 yards.

Target used is a B-27 silhouette. I think that is the standard?

Guest abailey362
When I shot a .380 in the test I ended up with .22 holes in my paper too.

The guy shooting the .22 was 2 lanes down from me :)

We all passed. :blink:

Don't worry about it.

i had the same thing happen to me. I was just getting my Kimber ultra carry running good and qualified with it, and there was 1 hole in the lower right corner that i think the kid next to me put in it. Pissed me off too as the center of my target was gone and there weren't any other strays :screwy: