9mm vs .45acp Not what you think!

Went to the new Cabelas in Bristol yesterday and just want to know why 9mm is $12 a box and .45acp is $21 a box...I could understand a little difference in material cost, but the manufacturing process is virtually identical. They are the 2 most popular rounds so demand I would guess is about equal...It just figures my preferred round is the more expensive one.

Supply and demand   or     the manufacturer has more capital to produce 9mm vs. 45ACP.  They might have one machine for 45ACP and 30 for 9mm.  This too would greatly impact price.  Its not always material cost.

Edited by runco

Comparing just the weight of the two cartridges, the 230gr .45acp is almost exactly twice as haevy in brass and bullet weight as the 9mm 115gr.  So, materials alone would cost twice as much.

Metal prices are pretty high compared to 8 years ago,reflecting a much more accurate picture of the real inflation rate than what the Feds are admitting.

There are many many times the amount of 9mm produced yearly compared to 45. I'm guessing just government contracts alone account for more 9mm than all 45 produced.

It costs x amount of dollars to set up a factory to load for a certain caliber. The more rounds produced, the less money you have to attribute to each round to recoup these costs.

Also, the 45 takes more raw materials.

Walmart
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the $7.00 a box Perfecta run back during the Summer I rarely see any 9mm Perfecta at the one I frequent most. When they do have it, it is $9.97 a box but either my timing is off for weekly shipments or they rarely have it. They usually will have the $10.97 a box Tula and pick up a few boxes occasionally. I have made 5 visits in the past 3 weeks and on the visits they had 325 round boxes of the Federal Auto Match target for $19 and some change limit 3 boxes though.

Everyone is missing the obvious explanation. It's a conspiracy by the .40 and 10 mm folks to force .45 users, who don't like the 9mm, to make the change.

Hell no our 10mm ammo is expensive enough without a bunch of demand!

Its obviously Omega and his adherents!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hell no our 10mm ammo is expensive enough without a bunch of demand!

Its obviously Omega and his adherents!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

F'real! I almost said that earlier. 10mm takes significantly less materials to produce than 45, and only a little more brass than to make 40, yet target grade 10mm is generally 30% more than 45, and about twice the price of 40. Nearly triple 9mm.

10mm takes significantly less materials to produce than 45...

How?

I'm betting brass is very similar, 45 is larger diameter but 10 is longer, so that's negligible. Primer is the same. 10mm will take MORE powder than .45. A 200gr bullet vs a 230gr bullet isn't that much of a difference. More bullet and less powder vs less bullet and more powder? I'm betting they equal out in the end.

10mm just doesn't have the sales volume that .45acp or 9mm does.