U.S. made AKs using cast parts

Djay3

With the ever present threat of dwindling resources for forged AK parts, Century Arms has "forged ahead" with rifles containing cast parts. But, it seems the Internet reports of mushrooming bolts occurring is growing.

A principal critic of cast parts is Rob Ski of "AK Operators Union Local 47-74". Here is his April, 2015 update on their 3000 round count "torture tested" Century Arms C39 V2 which uses a milled receiver thus no cast trunnions. Their RAS (non milled) uses cast trunnions.

http://youtu.be/SI_NAM0G1K4

Note: Presently Rob Ski is not recommending this rifle based upon reports from his readers of premature part wear. But, one reader reports 11,000 rounds and no abnormal wear issues. So it goes.

Personally, I hope Century can find the best casting and heat treatment recipe needed to help AK fans have a viable hedge pending any further import restrictions. In the meantime, give me forged!!! Edited by Djay3
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never got any value out of Rob Ski's reviews or videos. There are a lot of opinions on the forged vs. cast issues, but most of that comes from US/AR15 thinking that nothing is as good as forged. Casting has been used for a very long time on many AK parts. Mushrooming rivets have more to do with improperly installed rivets and or heat treating than anything else.

The old saying with Century WASR's was that you needed to put eyes on it before buying it. A good one will be a good one. Even though Century is no longer assembling or making guns in house, some of the contractors they use/used are just as suspect as the Century gorillas from the old days. I have no problem buying a Century gun, but I would definitely want to put eyes and hands on it first.

Never got any value out of Rob Ski's reviews or videos. There are a lot of opinions on the forged vs. cast issues, but most of that comes from US/AR15 thinking that nothing is as good as forged. Casting has been used for a very long time on many AK parts. Mushrooming rivets have more to do with improperly installed rivets and or heat treating than anything else.

The old saying with Century WASR's was that you needed to put eyes on it before buying it. A good one will be a good one. Even though Century is no longer assembling or making guns in house, some of the contractors they use/used are just as suspect as the Century gorillas  angry beavers from the old days. I have no problem buying a Century gun, but I would definitely want to put eyes and hands on it first.

It's the angry beavers at Century... not gorillas.  ;)

I didn't see anything in that video that had anything to do with cast vs. forged.  And you realized that anything that's forged is also cast first, right?  Forging can improve the mechanical properties, but it won't compensate for a crappy casting.  It's not the panacea that some folks like advertise it as. 

Many companies make fine castings of firearm parts. I certainly agree with that. Ruger apparently has the technique perfected.

My post is regarding the two USA made AKs with cast parts by Century. The C39 V2 and the RAS47. Hopefully they will find a successful heat treatment formula for avoiding the bolt mushrooming and bolt carrier issues noted with online photos. USA made AKs will be a good thing but there are current "teething issues" with these two models. It may simply be related to certain part batches.

The posted video is merely an early demo of the C39 V2 and does not address the soft casting issue. That example had 3000 rounds at that point. Edited by Djay3

Note: Presently Rob Ski is not recommending this rifle based upon reports from his readers of premature part wear. But, one reader reports 11,000 rounds and no abnormal wear issues. So it goes.

Where can I find this^^^^ So far, from all I can see he's been GTG with the c39v2?

Here is one comment by Rob found in this AK Files thread ... there are more but I hope this ones helps:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243569&page=3. (12-11-2015)

"Sadly, i have whole collection of RAS47 / C39V2 pictures with premature wear of bolts, bolt carriers and receivers...i'm just tired of punching Century to death...I wish them good luck, but clearly they have numerous quality production problems"... -Rob Ski
AKOUL 47-74