How bad is this barrel?

I always wanted a K98 with a side rail mount and scope. So I bought the least expensive one I found on Gunbroker and I think I may have made a poor choice. How bad is the barrel on this thing based on these pictures? Do you think it will be a fairly accurate shooter still?

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

The lands and grooves look OK. I tried taking a picture of them, but my camera cannot focus down the barrel. I'm also a terrible photographer. I am concerned over barrel wear. Here is a picture to illustrate why I am concerned. ETA: This is not my rifle in the picture. This picture was taken from http://gimmeguns.com/cust_98

b3.16173046.JPG

Edited by Symbolic
I've seen some like this in the past. It's hard to tell how it will shoot. Looking at the bore with a scope would tell more. It is likely that the rifle was shot with corrosive primed ammunition the bore may look like the surface of the moon...

With the cartridge fitting in the muzzle like that two things come to mind. 1. The bore is heavily worn by cleaning from the muzzle with the military rod. 2. Confirm that the cartridge you have is the correct caliber.

It would be best to have the gun checked by a gunsmith to ensure safe operating condition, headspace, and caliber. Those old rifles lead a hard life!

Bob

You know what? You're exactly right. Taking a closer look at it revealed a counter bore about 1.5 inch from the muzzle. And to add on to that, the rifle is a Russian capture and I've read they were notorious for counter-boring K98s. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

That PPU ammo is decent shown with the target. That Romanian stuff is stinky and the bullet is light. Locate some 70's Yugo or M75 sniper ammo and you will realize your rifles potential.  You have to clean up with warm soapy water before putting it up.