Browning High-Power

glock55

I plan on adding a High-Power to my gun collection after the first of the year. I feel I have a good variety of guns to meet my self defense needs so that will not be the reason for this purchase. I am buying this gun with the intention of passing it down to my sons when the time comes. This will be the reason for most of my gun purchases in the future. I would like to pass on guns that have some significance in firearms history.

Having spent most of my focus on Glock pistols I am not familiar with the High-Power at all. I fact I don't recall ever having laid eyes on one. I have researched the pistol and it does seem to stand out as an interesting firearm. I would appreciate any input on this gun as far as the following is concerned:
1) is this a reliable firearm
2) are there any common issues with I should know about
3) is my research correct is this an important firearm from historical perspective

I appreciate any help y'all can give and any recommendations on other firearms that would be interesting pieces to pass down would be appreciated. Thanks
I plan on adding a High-Power to my gun collection after the first of the year. I feel I have a good variety of guns to meet my self defense needs so that will not be the reason for this purchase. I am buying this gun with the intention of passing it down to my sons when the time comes. This will be the reason for most of my gun purchases in the future. I would like to pass on guns that have some significance in firearms history.
Having spent most of my focus on Glock pistols I am not familiar with the High-Power at all. I fact I don't recall ever having laid eyes on one. I have researched the pistol and it does seem to stand out as an interesting firearm. I would appreciate any input on this gun as far as the following is concerned:
3) is my research correct is this an important firearm from historical perspective
I appreciate any help y'all can give and any recommendations on other firearms that would be interesting pieces to pass down would be appreciated. Thanks

1. Yes
2. None that I am aware of
3. Depends on your perspective?

I can tell you I purchased one a while ago for the very same reason. Its one of the earlier models and it is a classic.

For me spending time with my son shooting is priceless. He is 11 now and is very capable with anything from a 22 to a 10mm.

He happens to appreciate the 1911 platform as well the Highpower. He can shoot the plastic wonders as well but according to him there just not the same. I am guessing if you were interested someone might let you take one for a spin.

Also if it ever comes to fruition a CMP 1911 would be hard to beat as an heirloom.

Good luck.
  • Like 2

Some of the most perfectly finished semiauto handguns ive ever handled were FN Browning Hipowers... They are a work of art... As to reliablility... They are as reliable as any semiauto can be with good magazines... As to shooting... They shoot like a dream... If ya are into 9mm, ya need a hipower... 

leroy

• Like 3
Can't say enough good things about the HP. Only negatives are possible hammer bite and trigger. Both are fixable.
Just remember the HP is what John Browning wanted the 1911 to be. It was his dream design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

2) very, very old models might have a less reliable extractor, but I think those would be quite pricy and rare to find?  I don't recall the details but it was improved after WWII.   I think a number of other small improvements have been made in the last 100 years but that was the biggie? 

• Like 1

Just remember the HP is what John Browning wanted the 1911 to be. It was his dream design.

For the gun nerd in you….. THE BROWNING HIGH-POWER

The browning high-power that we all know and love is not the high-power that John Browning designed. When John started the design, the 1911 patents were held by Colt. So John had to start from scratch and submitted his high-power for patent in 1923. John died in 1926 before it was completed. At that point FN handed the project to Deiudonne Saive. He was the designer of the double stack magazine that they would use for the 9mm. In the meantime the Colt 1911 patents expired allowing Saive to incorporate many of the 1911 attributes. So we can't call it John's design, but certainly it is a soup of John's genius.
Check out the patent. His high power was striker fired and checkout how the barrel came in and out of battery. Gaston Glock obviously borrowed much from John…..

• Like 1

I've owned several Browing Hi Powers over the years and still have the first one I purchased about fourty years ago. As to how reliable they are, well some of the earlier models were a bit particular about what type of JHP ammunition you tried to run though them. That however was and to some extent still is a problem with some other older pistols. Simple solution, as with any other pistol, find out what the gun shoots best and stockpile a supply of same.

• Like 1

I had an old T series, one from the early 70's, and a later model Practical. There's no finer SA 9mm. Then, I discovered CZ's, and thought those to be a better mousetrap because of being able to decock them. Then, I fired strikers, and I found what I really liked the best overall.

Talk to Highpower. He can clue you in on my high powers. Back in the day if we were carrying 9mm anywhere in the world it was a BHP. Carried by more countries military and police forces than any other auto... FBI, HRT, USSF, SAS The alphabet goes on and on. The main modification is taking out the Magazine safety to improve the trigger pull. I used an Inglis with shoulder stock for an entry gun at one time. Still carry it often as a travel gun. You cannot go wrong with a BHP.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers,

TS

• Like 1

[url=http://s779.photobucket.com/user/richarddacat/media/MISC/9mm%20BROWNING%20HYDRASHOCK%209MM%20001_zpswu3f6hkn.jpg.html]9mm%20BROWNING%20HYDRASHOCK%209MM%20001_[/URL]

Purchased new for $453.11 in Dec.1981. Never been fired.

Edited by kieefer
  • Like 2

This was one that belonged to my Dad.  Don't know how he ended up with but it has been around as long as I can remember.  Serial number dates it to 1961.

[url=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/verne3/media/Weapons/BHP.jpg.html]BHP.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Verne

Don't know if it's an urban myth, buy I heard older models are not rated for plus p.

ALL High Powers are designed for Euro-spec ammo.  That is the same as NATO-spec (124gr @ ~1150fps).  Plus-P is a little hotter.  US SAAMI specs are for 115gr @ ~1150fps. 

I don't bother with Plus-P in my pistols.  If you want more power, get a more powerful caliber.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses and information. Although it sounds as if this gun has a few quirks I think it's just what I'm looking for. The only thing that really concerns me is the magazine disconnect as I am not a fan of these. Can anybody recommend as gunsmith they trust to remove the disconnect and upgrade the trigger. As I tell my friends at work if you spend ten minutes on TGO your going to learn something new. Once again y'all haven't disappointed. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas to all.