M&P owners..watch out!

TN-popo

If they weren't cops. I would be all for Californians shooting themselves. I reckon they need to see if there's a New York trigger option for the M&P.

I know there is a Massachusetts trigger option (10#). 

I learned a new term from this quote in the article.  I'd never heard of a "tactical unintended discharge" before.

"as soon as widespread use of the new gun by field deputies commenced, there was a marked increase in tactical unintended discharges -- that is, deputies firing weapons without intending to do so during police operations."

I propose to modify it slightly:  "tactical unintended round discharge".  We'll call it TURD for short.

• Like 2
Where's the guy who worked for CHP all those years? I seem to recall him mentioning that the switch from the double action 92F to the striker fired Smith caused them all kinds of issues due to guys being used to the much longer trigger pull in the beretta.

Where's the guy who worked for CHP all those years? I seem to recall him mentioning that the switch from the double action 92F to the striker fired Smith caused them all kinds of issues due to guys being used to the much longer trigger pull in the beretta.

He got banned before he quit.

• Like 1

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/16/us/los-angeles-sheriffs-department-guns-report/index.html

And, on top of that, your gun is more sensitive than say, a Beretta.

So, make sure and give it a hug tonight.   ;)

This story is a rehash from 2014 likely brought out because they wanted to write something about guns but not actually do any real research.  The concolusion of many people who read the original story was that some officers got into the habit of riding the trigger because their old weapon had a very tight long trigger pull and the new one is short and light resulting in people firing when they don't mean to.

Thanks

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

This story is a rehash from 2014 likely brought out because they wanted to write something about guns but not actually do any real research.  The concolusion of many people who read the original story was that some officers got into the habit of riding the trigger because their old weapon had a very tight long trigger pull and the new one is short and light resulting in people firing when they don't mean to.

Thanks

Robert

Well, sorry for the rehash.  

And, thank for your concolusion update.

Edited by TN-popo

From the article:

"Adding to the problem was some deputies violating a basic firearms safety rule by placing their finger on the trigger prior to making the conscious decision to fire, the report states."

No, not adding to the problem; that IS the problem.  The guns don't go off by themselves, and if they had their finger on the trigger, that meant they should have been pointing the weapon at someone or something they intended to shoot.  Since no one has been shot yet, except for the user, the logical conclusion is they either can't aim for crap or they have no trigger discipline.  An 8 hour class in order to switch to a new weapon will not solve this problem.  This problem occurs due to very basic firearms handling procedures, which the idiots involved have completely abandoned.  Of course, in today's blame culture, where everyone else other than the person responsible is subject to blame, I'm not surprised they're focusing on the pistol and not the idiots. 

From the article:

"Adding to the problem was some deputies violating a basic firearms safety rule by placing their finger on the trigger prior to making the conscious decision to fire, the report states."

No, not adding to the problem; that IS the problem. The guns don't go off by themselves, and if they had their finger on the trigger, that meant they should have been pointing the weapon at someone or something they intended to shoot. Since no one has been shot yet, except for the user, the logical conclusion is they either can't aim for crap or they have no trigger discipline. An 8 hour class in order to switch to a new weapon will not solve this problem. This problem occurs due to very basic firearms handling procedures, which the idiots involved have completely abandoned. Of course, in today's blame culture, where everyone else other than the person responsible is subject to blame, I'm not surprised they're focusing on the pistol and not the idiots.

Maybe if the guns had 12-14 lb triggers in them they wouldn't have gone off. I'm sure somebody at the department will have the great idea that the guns need to have an increased trigger pull so officers won't shoot themselves or others.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Maybe if the guns had 12-14 lb triggers in them they wouldn't have gone off. I'm sure somebody at the department will have the great idea that the guns need to have an increased trigger pull so officers won't shoot themselves or others.

Yes, a solution to poor trigger finger discipline is to have a trigger pull which is ridiculously heavy... kind of like a childproof lid on a medicine bottle.  So what I gather is, we can't trust police and their departments to be grown ups and display very basic firearms handling procedures.  For me, the solution would be to immediately fire any officer who has a negligent discharge.  Done.  The problem will correct itself, because the officers that are too stupid to be an adult will be fired, and the ones who are too lazy to follow procedures will damn sure pay attention to what they're doing when they know their job is on the line.

Stupid should be punished, not blamed on inanimate objects.

• Like 1

Yes, a solution to poor trigger finger discipline is to have a trigger pull which is ridiculously heavy... kind of like a childproof lid on a medicine bottle. So what I gather is, we can't trust police and their departments to be grown ups and display very basic firearms handling procedures. For me, the solution would be to immediately fire any officer who has a negligent discharge. Done. The problem will correct itself, because the officers that are too stupid to be an adult will be fired, and the ones who are too lazy to follow procedures will damn sure pay attention to what they're doing when they know their job is on the line.

Stupid should be punished, not blamed on inanimate objects.

Bingo. If guns went around shooting themselves it would take the fun out of me shooting them. If they just followed the four steps SMH25adfcde594185a60a6b292ae84055d1.jpg

• Like 1