Sick this morning!!

bersaguy

Have not had a cold in probably 15 years and woke up this morning with head and chest cold and sore throat from hell. Can anyone recommend what they take for common colds that works for them? I have not bought anything in such a long time I don't even know whats out there that works????? Thanks

If you have a sore throat from hell then how do you know that you don't actually have strep throat? Do you have dark red blotches/pustules in your throat? Even if you don't I recommend that you swab your throat with maximum strength Ambesol. It not only kills the pain but if it is strep then the bacteria doesn't seem to like it and dies off pretty quickly, (couple of days).

Have not had a cold in probably 15 years and woke up this morning with head and chest cold and sore throat from hell. Can anyone recommend what they take for common colds that works for them? I have not bought anything in such a long time I don't even know whats out there that works????? Thanks

Alcohol.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 5
I take zinc to help get rid of colds and any sort of sinus sickness. It seems to speed up the process and usually only last about 3 days.
Cold-eez has it in it but you can get sink tabs at the dollar store.
It was recommended by a dr 20 years ago and I've been doing ever since.

Get well!

I'm fighting one too. Been on Nyquil and Mucinex for a week.

A friend of mine stopped by this morning and called his wife and ask her what I should take since she is a nurse. She said Alka Selzer Plus Cold and Nyquil so he is headed to the store to pick me some up. Said take the Alka Selzer for day time and NyQuil at night. Said just get rest and take meds and should be good to go before Christmas. Hope shes right cause I feel like....

Seconded.

Don't take a page from our lawmakers book, actually go and FIND OUT what you have and then find a way to cure it :)

Last time I went to have something checked out I was put in Hospital and they used my body as a grocery store and said they found all these bad things I didn't know I had and still not convinced I actually had them but was put on meds for life to treat them before I could get out of there and had to have surgery a month after Christmas last year for an aneurysm that they never showed me a picture of it yet they said they found it on a CT scan and it was the size of an orange. My personal Doctor had to threaten to sue them to get what few reports they sent her which she still has never seen pictures of the aneurysm and she said that she was my doctor for 18 years and she never had any tests come back showing I was type 2 diabetic yet the doctors in the hospital said I was and put me on meds before I could get out of there and get a second opinion. 

I just do not trust these so called doctors anymore. Everyone of them are connected to a number of Tri-Star hospitals and all their offices are for the most part located on hospital property. My family doctor surrendered her privileges to practice at Tri-Star Hospitals because she does not approve of the way they do business. That's good enough for me.......................... :up: 

• Like 1

Excellent advice from TGO David and FUJIMO. Doug.

We're seeing a lot of this in my ER...most of the time it's viral and therefore doesn't need antibiotics...just symptomatic treatment like Tylenol or Ibuprofen, Mucinex (guaifenesin), warm salt water gargles and lots of fluids like dilute Gatorade and/or water...maybe a sinus med. But if you are on BP meds heed this warning from Mayo:

" [i]avoid over-the-counter decongestants and multisymptom cold remedies that contain decongestants — such as pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, phenylephrine, naphazoline and oxymetazoline[/i]".

Coricidin HBP is frequently recommended.

But we have been seeing some Strep, but very little actual influenza yet.

The only definitive way to know is to get it checked out my friend. The virus, if that's what it is, will run it's course over several days...the first 3 are usually the worst. If bacterial in nature then antibiotics are required...or antiviral if influenza.

Please do not consider this as "Medical Advice". I am just an interweb critter as far as you know LOL. But I hope you recover quickly and have a Blessed and Merry Christmas Sir.

Excellent advice from TGO David and FUJIMO. Doug.

We're seeing a lot of this in my ER...most of the time it's viral and therefore doesn't need antibiotics...just symptomatic treatment like Tylenol or Ibuprofen, Mucinex (guaifenesin), warm salt water gargles and lots of fluids like dilute Gatorade and/or water...maybe a sinus med. But if you are on BP meds heed this warning from Mayo:

" avoid over-the-counter decongestants and multisymptom cold remedies that contain decongestants — such as pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, phenylephrine, naphazoline and oxymetazoline".

Coricidin HBP is frequently recommended.

But we have been seeing some Strep, but very little actual influenza yet.

The only definitive way to know is to get it checked out my friend. The virus, if that's what it is, will run it's course over several days...the first 3 are usually the worst. If bacterial in nature then antibiotics are required...or antiviral if influenza.

Please do not consider this as "Medical Advice". I am just an interweb critter as far as you know LOL. But I hope you recover quickly and have a Blessed and Merry Christmas Sir.

Thanks very much for the concern folks as it is very much appreciated. I explained in earlier post how I feel about most doctors these days and I have contacted mine and she has told me what to do and is calling me in something that will take care of it. She said she has seen a rash of this in past week to 10 days and says there is no sense in me driving 70 miles one way for this when I have to see her in mid January anyway for my semi annual checkup. I got my Flu shot and Pneumonia shot back in October so should be good to go there. 

• Like 2

Go visit a walk-in clinic and let them check to see what you have.  The holidays are no time to be sick.   :)

I think I am plagued as far as being sick on Holidays David. When I had my stroke in 1997 it was on Thanksgiving Weekend. When I had my heart attack it was also on Thanksgiving weekend in 2006 and last year I went in for simple UTI infection on December 18th and learned I had a grocery list of illnesses that I don't believe I had and they cleared up the UTI in an hour with IV antibiotics and went back to normal color urine before they could even get me in a room. I just don't trust all these new doctors.

I think it is the almighty dollar that drives them today and not the actual care of the patient.  If you have insurance be prepared to become a Grocery store for them to shop in. If you don't they shove some pills at you and send you packing................jmho

At the VERY first sign of cold/flu, I start taking vitamin C and Echinacea. I take a gram of C every four hours or so and a couple of Echinacea capsules. I also switch from coffee to Echinacea tea.  Usually, this stops the cold/flu before it takes hold. (You might want to make sure that Echinacea doesn't conflict with any prescription meds you're taking.)

If you wait until you're really sick, then you pretty much have to treat the symptoms until you're better. That's what most of the recommendations in this thread are doing.

Well I survived the first day but last night really sucked. Didn't get much rest at all. My Nose got stopped up and couldn't breath through my mouth long enough to stay asleep more than about 30 minutes and then up again. Won't be taking any more Nyquil. That stuff drys you out and stops up your nose bad. A buddy of mine went and got the meds the doctor called in for me and I began taking them yesterday evening. Hope they kick in today................. :up: 

A friend of mine stopped by this morning and called his wife and ask her what I should take since she is a nurse. She said Alka Selzer Plus Cold and Nyquil so he is headed to the store to pick me some up. Said take the Alka Selzer for day time and NyQuil at night. Said just get rest and take meds and should be good to go before Christmas. Hope shes right cause I feel like....

:up:

I agree with and my Dad would have agreed with your friend... That and lot's of water....

Edited by teecro

oxymetazoline".

AKA Afrin nasal spray, been snorting that since 1986 when I mangled the cartilage in my nose. Hadn't really done any real damage but if I don't use it I don't breath from my nose and i'm aware of the rebound affect stuff, it's way too late for that, only option is sinus surgery so I guess i'll keep snorting nasal spray, it works.

Psuedofed every now and then isn't so bad, maybe mixed with Claritan but it can elevate BP a little plus you have to show your DL and sign for it which hasn't slowed meth production at all.