Teen Attempts to Rob Off-Duty Trooper At Gunpoint During Sale of Firearm

NASHVILLE, Tenn.-- A 19-year-old is facing charges of Aggravated Robbery with a Deadly Weapon after trying to rob an off-duty Tennessee Highway Patrol trooper during sale of firearm.

Read more at the following link:

http://fox17.com/news/local/19-year-old-attempts-to-rob-off-duty-trooper-at-gunpoint-during-sale-of-firearm

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

The link below indicates that he's 18.  Perhaps he'll spend his 19th birthday in jail.  Interestingly enough, it lists two (2) charges.

1.  Robbery, Aggravated, Weapon or Object

2.  Weapon, Illegal Purchase or Attempt to Purchase

Do you have to be 21 to buy a handgun in TN?  I thought 18 was the minimum for non-dealer sales.

http://dcso.nashville.gov/Search/Details/783851

It’s 18. My guess is because he’s a convicted felon. I doubt armed robbery was his first offense.

Yeah, would seem he would have to have some sort of disqualifying prior conviction.

But odd they wouldn't tack on simple illegal possession for the revolver he already had if that's the case.

"The teen does not have a valid gun carry permit according to police".....stellar reporting.

Doesn't matter, as he wasn't charged with illegal possession or carrying.

If he had a disqualifying previous conviction for ownership, it would be illegal possession for the one he had in the car, and even if not, would be illegal carrying as soon as he pulled it out of the car without a permit. But he wasn't charged for either circumstance.

- OS

Yeah, would seem he would have to have some sort of disqualifying prior conviction.

But odd they wouldn't tack on simple illegal possession for the revolver he already had if that's the case.

Doesn't matter, as he wasn't charged with illegal possession or carrying.

If he had a disqualifying previous conviction for ownership, it would be illegal possession for the one he had in the car, and even if not, would be illegal carrying as soon as he pulled it out of the car without a permit. But he wasn't charged for either circumstance.

- OS

39-17-1316(q)(1)
My guess is those minor charges won’t matter much, and are probably just what he was arrested for. The felon in possession (if that is the disqualifier) will be almost as serious as the armed robbery. (When the DA gets the case)

Kudos to the Trooper. When someone pulls a gun on you and you take him without getting shot; that is truly remarkable...or just plain luck. Edited by DaveTN

That's what makes me lean toward the second charge being bogus.  I guess if anyone cares enough to follow up on this story, we will find out eventually.  I don't care to take the time to try to and find any priors right now.

- OS

When I lived in Clarksville, the gang bangers got arrested all the time when shooting at each other and I never saw them charged with felon in possession. I don't know why; they should always be throwing as many charges at these guys as possible. Another example of gun laws on the books that are never enforced, yet they want to keep passing more.

Well, he was trying to purchase a weapon while committing a felony ...

I have heard there's a charge for that alone. First of all, I DON'T smoke pot and don't want it even near me but, I have a friend that in the late 80's was busted with a little too much pot, a felony's worth and had his 1st gen Glock 19 with his pot. He told me that was a charge in of itself so maybe Oh Shoot could clarify if having a firearm while committing a felony is a separate charge weather you were using the firearm or not.

I have heard there's a charge for that alone. First of all, I DON'T smoke pot and don't want it even near me but, I have a friend that in the late 80's was busted with a little too much pot, a felony's worth and had his 1st gen Glock 19 with his pot. He told me that was a charge in of itself so maybe Oh Shoot could clarify if having a firearm while committing a felony is a separate charge weather you were using the firearm or not.

Yeah, under 39-17-1324.  Offense of possessing a firearm during commission or attempt to commit dangerous felony. It can be a separate felony, and felony drug possession is classed as a "dangerous felony".

And even if it's during a crime not listed as a "dangerous felony", under 39-17-1307 it is a lower felony if "A person commits an offense who possesses any deadly weapon with the intent to employ it during the commission of, attempt to commit, or escape from any offense not defined as a dangerous offense by § 39-17-1324."

Pretty sure there are federal laws about gun and drug possession too, if the feds want to get involved.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah, under 39-17-1324.  Offense of possessing a firearm during commission or attempt to commit dangerous felony. It can be a separate felony, and felony drug possession is classed as a "dangerous felony".

And even if it's during a crime not listed as a "dangerous felony", under 39-17-1307 it is a lower felony if "A person commits an offense who possesses any deadly weapon with the intent to employ it during the commission of, attempt to commit, or escape from any offense not defined as a dangerous offense by § 39-17-1324."

Pretty sure there are federal laws about gun and drug possession too, if the feds want to get involved.

- OS

Well I knew that was a big part of his sentence, he got probation at the time of course he can't own a Glock anymore. 

The link below indicates that he's 18.  Perhaps he'll spend his 19th birthday in jail.  Interestingly enough, it lists two (2) charges.

1.  Robbery, Aggravated, Weapon or Object

2.  Weapon, Illegal Purchase or Attempt to Purchase

Do you have to be 21 to buy a handgun in TN?  I thought 18 was the minimum for non-dealer sales.

http://dcso.nashville.gov/Search/Details/783851

He was charged for having a loaded handgun in his vehicle, as he pulled it on the trooper. It seems you have to be 21 to have a handgun in your vehicle. How old do you have to be to legally carry a handgun? It's 18 while hunting. How about driving around in your car? 21?

Dave

Edited by DaveS

He was charged for having a loaded handgun in his vehicle, as he pulled it on the trooper. It seems you have to be 21 to have a handgun in your vehicle. How old do you have to be to legally carry a handgun? It's 18 while hunting. How about driving around in your car? 21?

You must be reading a different article? There is no unlawful possession charge mentioned in the link you quoted.

Although if he's a prohibited person, of course there should be (and probably will be later).

A non-prohibited person only needs to be 18 to have loaded firearms in vehicle, 21 to carry a handgun in general public on the person.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You must be reading a different article? There is no unlawful possession charge mentioned in the link you quoted.

Although if he's a prohibited person, of course there should be (and probably will be later).

A non-prohibited person only needs to be 18 to have loaded firearms in vehicle, 21 to carry a handgun in general public on the person.

- OS

I was basing that on what the news had said. I don't know who to believe anymore.

Dave