Virginia to end reciprocity with 25 states

• Moderators

Including TN. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

RICHMOND — Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) plans to announce Tuesday that Virginia will no longer recognize concealed carry handgun permits from 25 states that have reciprocity agreements with the commonwealth. The move also means Virginians with a history of stalking, drug dealing or inpatient mental-health treatment cannot obtain a permit in a state with comparatively lax laws and carry a handgun legally at home. Herring said severing the out-of-state agreements can prevent people who may be dangerous or irresponsible from carrying a concealed weapon. “To me, this is a commonsense step that can help make Virginians and our law enforcement officers safer by ensuring that Virginia’s laws on who can and cannot carry a concealed handgun are applied evenly, consistently, and fairly,” he said in a statement provided to The Washington Post. “Our General Assembly has already identified who can and cannot conceal handguns in Virginia, and we cannot have that decision undermined by recognizing permits from other states with more permissive standards.” Herring’s action could intensify a heated debate in the wake of rampant gun violence and cements his position as a liberal defender of gun control as he seeks a second term. A former state senator, Herring has raised the ire of conservatives for supporting same-sex marriage, abortion rights and immigration reform. Del. Robert B. Bell III (R-Albemarle), a former state prosecutor, is the only Republican challenging him. Gun rights advocates have criticized Gov. Terry McAuliffe, Herring and other Democrats for insisting on stronger gun laws after mass shootings in which the assailants obtained their weapons legally or suffered from mental illness. In October, McAuliffe banned firearms in state buildings, earning a rebuke from the National Rifle Association. This year, Herring’s office began a review of reciprocity agreements Virginia has with 30 other states. Attorneys discovered that 25 of those states had concealed handgun permit regulations that were weaker than Virginia’s. The State Police superintendent accepted Herring’s recommendation to sever agreements with those states, effective Feb. 1, according to Herring’s office. The states are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming. Agreements will remain with West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah. Virginia law lists 20 conditions that would disqualify a person from being issued a concealed carry handgun permit. They include anyone in the United States illegally, subject to a protection from abuse order, or convicted of various criminal charges from drunken driving to assault and battery. Visitors to Virginia can still obtain a non-resident permit if they meet a separate set of standards set forth in the law.
Edited by JohnC
  • Like 1

Because in any of these mass shootings the criminal went out and obtained a weapons carry permit so he could legally go slaughter people.  Makes sense.

Why are liberals so f'ing stupid?  It's like the underpants gnomes are writing laws.

• Like 3
When one whittles a peice of wood, they don't cut all the material off in one chunk, nor do they cut even large peices; but instead small thin slices.
Liberty can't be cut out at once but small parts, over time, peice by peice until we are left with.....nothing. Doesn't seem like squat to us in TN.
  • Like 9
  • Moderators
Of course, now that I think about it, VA is a "gold star" open carry state with full state preemption laws. Might as well add Virginia next to the range on list of places that it is reasonable to open carry. Hell, until a few years ago you had the "Virginia tuck" where folks would tuck their shirts behind their guns in places that served alcohol because before the law changed you couldn't conceal in one, but you could open carry. Methinks this should lead to a rise in out of state visitors open carrying, if only to annoy the state's AG.
  • Like 2
This stinks. The last two trips I've made home, I have driven to carry the tonnage of stuff relating to having a family of 4 while the wife and kids fly. Staying for 7 days is tonnage. Guess we all fly now. I enjoyed the 10+ hour ride all to my self. It's only once a year but it might be worth while looking at getting an out of state permit if that will still be allowed. Shame really that the Commonwealth pulled this.
Edit: I think TN's permit steps are more than Va's. Not sure but I think that's the case. Edited by JHC77

When one whittles a peice of wood, they don't cut all the material off in one chunk, nor do they cut even large peices; but instead small thin slices.
Liberty can't be cut out at once but small parts, over time, peice by peice until we are left with.....nothing. Doesn't seem like squat to us in TN.

Well I will just have to cross VA off my vacation list even though it was not already there.... Seems silly that they will allow IN as their course is no more than MI and was or still is good for life.... TN course was no more no less than the MI course so why the snub? Is it that we have no duty to inform or registration system?

• Moderators

Well I will just have to cross VA off my vacation list even though it was not already there.... Seems silly that they will allow IN as their course is no more than MI and was or still is good for life.... TN course was no more no less than the MI course so why the snub? Is it that we have no duty to inform or registration system?

I think it may have to do with certain misdemeanor convictions being an automatic disqualifier, like first offense drunk driving.

"The move also means Virginians with a history of stalking, drug dealing or inpatient mental-health treatment cannot obtain a permit in a state with comparatively lax laws and carry a handgun legally at home."

Am I misreading this? I didn't think you could live in one state and go to another state and get a carry permit anyway. Isn't that what he is saying? He thinks Virginians can go to another state with their Virginia ID and paperwork and get a carry permit in that state??

"The move also means Virginians with a history of stalking, drug dealing or inpatient mental-health treatment cannot obtain a permit in a state with comparatively lax laws and carry a handgun legally at home."

Am I misreading this? I didn't think you could live in one state and go to another state and get a carry permit anyway. Isn't that what he is saying? He thinks Virginians can go to another state with their Virginia ID and paperwork and get a carry permit in that state??

You can in some states. Some (like Florida, Utah, and Virginia) issue non-resident permits which are usually just as valid as a resident permit in other states with reciprocity. A state can choose not to honor non-resident permits from other states, which is the simpler solution to that particular problem.

The irony here is that Virginia is one of the easiest from which to get a non-resident permit.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

As of 2/1/16 Virginia will end reciprocity with TN. After that date your TN permit will no longer be recognised in the great state of VA. This affects most other states now currently recognized. Only 4 other states will still be recognized. McAuliffe and his anti minions think this will keep the fine citizens of VA "safer".

DaveTN, on 22 Dec 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:DaveTN, on 22 Dec 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:DaveTN, on 22 Dec 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:DaveTN, on 22 Dec 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

You can be deemed okay to carry if you give them $100. I guess that's better than the $300 Illinois wants.
Money can fix anything.

Did IL change to now include TN?  When I worked up there this year, I could find no path at all to legally carry, other than in the lock-box or car. I could not even apply.

Edited by R_Bert

From the article:

"The states are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming."

These States no longer have reciprocity with Virginia!

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2015/12/22/virgina-to-drop-long-held-concealed-carry-reciprocity-agreements-with-other-states-n2096229

So they are limiting conceal carry reciprocity while they are still an open carry without a permit state? That's just silly.

I guess the next time work takes me up there I'll just air out my Glock rather than conceal something.

Not me. Will leave my Glocks at home and carry my stainless 1911, cocked and locked. 

• Like 4