Call me crazy..

But what's the deal? I'm really perplexed by posts I read sometimes. I realize that guns aren't super popular when it comes to women. I know some wives/girlfriends/fiancés might frown upon purchases at times. But it's pretty annoying to see things posted in a negative way.

I realize every home is different and bank accounts are not all the same. But every relationship has it's own dynamics that make it successful. I realize this is a very male dominated forum when it comes to members and number of people who actually post and regularly interact. And maybe it's meant to be that way. But did you ever think maybe women might have something to contribute too but they choose not to because of some of the verbage used here? In one post alone I read about "permission", "woman terms" and other negative stuff.

I have met a lot of great people here, from helping me with something to transactions/purchases. All GREAT guys. But I'm just thinking, maybe there would be more women interested in being members or benefactors if it was wee bit more female friendly. I'm no lady, nor am I a feminist but I am a woman. And I love guns. I love shooting them for target practice. I like the security it affords me. I like a lot of the knowledge I've gained here.

Sometimes I feel like I'm trapped in that horrible Morgan Spurlock gun docu-series where the man walks in and says "I'm here to get a little .38 for the missus at home" and the dip in lip clerk pulls out a pink gun.

I put my pants on the same way you do and I stuff my Glock in my pants the same way too. I don't limp wrist and I don't carry a pocket cricket. I don't own any guns that aren't black other than my 2 Glocks that have Nickle Boron slides. Treat me the same, post your Christmas bikini girls all you want. I'm a foul mouthed yankee and I probably tell dirtier jokes than most of you. I know how to change the oil in both of my vehicles by myself.

What I am getting at here is, can you imagine the changes that might be made in the anti-gun movement if women were treated a little bit different? If there wasn't a man behind a counter offering a .380 to a woman instead of a .45 or 10mm? In fact, the last 5 purchases in this house were made by the woman of the house. All large caliber handguns and the rifles were pretty kick a$$. Most anti-gun people I've met, were because of lack of exposure and most were women. So just imagine that if maybe, just maybe there was a slight cut back in the negative and a lean towards the positive, what a change that could make.
  • Like 1
Maybe I'm just oblivious to it but I don't see much negativity towards women here. Aside from the jabs at Hillary of course.

Most here that post about such things as getting permission to buy a gun or hiding it from them when they do buy it, comes from the actual situation they live in. Believe it or not most women would rather go clothes or shoe shopping than gun shopping. A lot of women do need to start with a lighter recoiling caliber and/or something easier to rack the slide on. Women have less physical strength than men it's just how we are made.

You like big bores, cool. I know several men, even big old country boys that don't care for a .45acp as a defensive caliber. They prefer the 9mm or .380acp.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we welcome all members regardless of gender. You even have your own subforum ;)

I really would like to hear what comments you found offensive. Maybe I or some of the other members could shed some light on why they said that or the train of thought behind it. I highly doubt anyone meant to have a condescending tone towards female shooters.
  • Like 3
I suppose if you went on a forum focused on something women find more interesting than men, there would be posts by women getting "permission" to purchase designer purses or expensive shoes. I'd also suspect there would be Channing Tatum posts objectifying his form, as well as jokes about stereotypical things that men do.

Guns and shooting is generally a male interest because of the inherent differences between men and women. There are certainly women who find it interesting, such as yourself, but that is relatively low compared to men. Like other things men find more interesting than women, I'd assume it is more biological than exclusionary attitudes by men toward women. That's just the way it is. So any time you have a bunch of guys together, we're going to talk about guy stuff. A gun forum is one of those places that bring guys together.

So yeah, there will be posts and pictures which objectify women or make jokes about our wives/girlfriends, but what you won't see here is people being dismissive or disrespectful to female members on account of them being female. In fact, I'd reason to bet that if a female posted something ridiculous, it would be met much more diplomatically than if a male did. Or perhaps equally, I dunno. This forum seems to be much different than other Internet forums, in that people are generally nice and respectful.
  • Like 2
I'd add that gay dudes have it way harder here (pun intended). Some of the threads in the past have had some pretty exclusionary language in it which I assume keeps some gun enthusiast who happen to be gay from participating here. Same goes for Muslims. Other than poking fun or having breasty avatars, I just don't see negative attitudes towards women here. Chicks do chick stuff, and it's funny. They also have boobs and most of us like those.
  • Like 4

You want men to stop grumbling to fellow men about how the intricacies of marital finances limit what guns they can get and when.  Yeah, I don't see that happening.  I'm sure if you go far back enough, you'd see something on the subject written as an epitaph on a Roman tombstone.

As to the whole what calibers women can shoot and all that...if the don't want the LGS salesman driving them towards .380 or 9mm, they need to remember the customer is always right.  Tell the guy you want to see the .45's or 10mm's, and if they make an ass out of themselves, ladies can take their business elsewhere.  Word will get out on who treats their customers with respect and who treats them as fragile little things that need a man to keep a hand on their back as they shoot.

Chicks...also have boobs and most of us like those.

"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we’re lucky we end life suckling on a breast.  So anybody who’s against breasts is against life itself."

-Denny Crane

• Like 3

I have been a member here for soon to be 4 years.  What drew me here, and kept me here is how well this site is ran.  Over time, I have witnessed the close monitoring of unacceptable negativism, and the purging of these negative people.  I do enjoy and partake in time to time some opposites of opinions.  I would imagine if one is at one end of argument, it can be viewed as negative.  Some level of negatives are acceptable, or it would make for French fries without salt.   

• Like 1
As someone whose wife has recently taken interest in shooting I can say that my first thought was to direct her to a 380 or 9mm. Not because she couldn't handle it, but more to bring her into shooting more gently. I think most people start on a 22 rim fire for a reason. Less recoil & muzzle blast, lower cost, etc. I wanted my wife to develop good shooting fundamentals. Then step up to the calibers and guns she wants, and she is. She has shot several of my 45'stuff and just doesn't do that we'll with them yet. She is shooting a 9mm better every time. We have made a choice together for her to grow into shooting what she wants at her own pace.

Yes the clerks in some of the stores have been condescending and they haven't gotten our business. Her gun handling skills showed her to be inexperienced at first, as those skills have improved once she gets her hands on a weapon attitudes change quickly!

I am very lucky we have a very honest relationship. We don't hide things from each other there is no need. If we have all the bills paid, and obligations met we buy what we want when we want. I was blessed this year with a small unexpected bonus that allowed me to make her wish for a new gun come true a month earlier than she expected. The only repercussion will be a knowing look and a trip to the range.

She is a tough independent woman I'm proud to call her my wife. I haven't seen much negativity here toward women here and I like that. If you have to sneak a new gun into the house too bad. I'm glad I don't have to. In fact I'm probably going to have to shop for a new safe and I'll take my wife with me.
  • Like 1
I think it comes down to not a lot of women understand, let alone appreciate or love firearms and shooting sports as much as males do - typically.

I had an ex GF that refused to even touch my firearms - she would get super nervous and have an anxiety attack around them.

Now my wife is buying Glocks, ammo and XL650s it is totally different.

I can safely say that most females are not like you, or my wife, or a few others I know. Even the ones who drive GMs and wear RealTree and swear theyre a "country gurl" cant shoot, nor understand.

I dont think it is negative - just like you identified, it is different dynamics.

...hell most people on this forum are scared of 10mm and 45Super [emoji14]

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Consider the fact that you aren't a typical woman. I imagine that most guys are posting comments out of their experience with women concerning guns. I know that my wife's attitude and desires aren't anywhere close to yours when it comes to guns and self-defense. My wife has a .38 spl S&W 642 to have around here in case I'm not around to protect her. She does not practice with it nor harbors any will to do so. She only shoots it when I drag her with me when I go shooting. She is intolerant of semi-automatics at all, (hot brass went into her cleavage), and has very small hands that match her stature so she can't comfortable shoot the typical larger calibers even if she had a mind to do so.

• Like 1

On behalf of the testosterone laden, bearded, knuckle dragging, chauvinistic, loud mouthed, smelly, cigar smoking(my wifes' usual commentary) redneck, and largely male(if not true manly men) here; I would like to offer an apology for any of us who has made you feel in the slightest way uncomfortable or unwelcome.

You have been exactly as you've self-described yourself and very welcome as a change in the balance of power here. Ok so that's really a lie, the power structure still resides in TGO David and his minions....But never feel unwelcome or unwanted.

Seriously, you are welcomed here as a gun nut, not just as a pair of boobs as earlier mentioned; but with full rights to enjoy and say within reason anything you want.

If one of us has offended you by something said or written, chalk it off to male jealousy and move on. 

I, for one, blonde jokes aside; am glad to see the "fairer sex" involved in shooting sports and hunting. Hell, most women I know shoot better I do anyway, and that includes my wife. That took some getting used to. lol 

If not for arthritis and some carpal nerve issues, she would be shooting right alongside me every time I went out. Showing me up and enjoying it thoroughly.

And to end on a less serious note, at the risk of offense and ban hammer, and to reference that funny but crude Richard Pryor, I'll say this.

Don't sweat it. Men and women have never been equal. Women have been leading men around by the short arm since the Garden of Eden.

They got half the money and all the .........!

Edited by hipower
  • Like 4

Your feelings are valid.  As well, I don't view the comments about restrictions on gun purchases due to wives as having negative intent.   I view them more as good natured joking.  If I were a woman I might not see them as funny.  I don't expect the 'money related to gun purchases related to the wife' jokes to go away, though it would be nice for men on this forum to be aware of how women perceive things.  

I would like to see more women on the forum as well.  

I've seen a few posts here or there that were a slam against the physical strength of women and men who don't enjoy shooting high recoil guns.  These comments are the equivalent of the gorilla pounding his chest that he is the toughest gorilla of all and are more about how the man sees himself than others.

Anyone who doubts a woman's ability to be badass clearly isn't aware of what Russian women soldiers achieved on the eastern front in WWII.

I enjoy your posts as well as Dolomite's Weezy's posts.  

• Like 1
Seems you might be on to something...not necessarily on TGO but most definitely out and about. Yesterday we didn't have time to get to my go to store Guns and Leather. We ended up going to a newer place near MJ. Place was fairly empty three people working there or at least they were employees. After about 5 minutes on guy comes over and asks if we need anything? My son explains to him we are looking for a holster for my wife. Instanty disinterested in helping at all now. Next he starts reading a text on his phone and walks away. Nice customer service there!

So I am not sure how women became second class citizens with regards to exercising their rights?

Rant off Edited by wcd
  • Like 1

I've seen a few posts here or there that were a slam against the physical strength of women and men who don't enjoy shooting high recoil guns. These comments are the equivalent of the gorilla pounding his chest that he is the toughest gorilla of all and are more about how the man sees himself than others.

Anyone who doubts a woman's ability to be badass clearly isn't aware of what Russian women soldiers achieved on the eastern front in WWII.

It's a generalization. I will call out anyone who claims an average sized woman has the same strength or more as an average sized man. Average sized man is larger and stronger than the average sized woman. It's just how it is and always will be. Nothing at all wrong with it. Some people like recoil, some like speed shooting, some like reaching way out there to see how far out they can hit. Doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you put it where you are aiming, when shooting seriously. Or just as long as you are shooting period if it's just for fun.

Your feelings are valid. As well, I don't view the comments about restrictions on gun purchases due to wives as having negative intent. I view them more as good natured joking. If I were a woman I might not see them as funny. I don't expect the 'money related to gun purchases related to the wife' jokes to go away, though it would be nice for men on this forum to be aware of how women perceive things.

I would like to see more women on the forum as well.

I've seen a few posts here or there that were a slam against the physical strength of women and men who don't enjoy shooting high recoil guns. These comments are the equivalent of the gorilla pounding his chest that he is the toughest gorilla of all and are more about how the man sees himself than others.

I enjoy your posts as well as Dolomite's Weezy's posts.

Saying women are physically weaker isn't a "slam", it's biology. If men and women were equal in strength there would be a battered men's shelter for every battered woman's shelter.
  • Like 2

It's a generalization. I will call out anyone who claims an average sized woman has the same strength or more as an average sized man. Average sized man is larger and stronger than the average sized woman. It's just how it is and always will be. Nothing at all wrong with it. Some people like recoil, some like speed shooting, some like reaching way out there to see how far out they can hit. Doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you put it where you are aiming, when shooting seriously. Or just as long as you are shooting period if it's just for fun.

Saying women are physically weaker isn't a "slam", it's biology. If men and women were equal in strength there would be a battered men's shelter for every battered woman's shelter.

The posts I was referring to had more of a "here's a little gun for the little lady" type attitude.  

The posts I was referring to had more of a "here's a little gun for the little lady" type attitude.  

But that would normally be a fair assumption, due to women being physically weaker and far less likely to be familiar or experienced with firearms than a man.  Hell, even I get condescended to when I go into a gun shop, and chances are I know more about weapons and have significantly more training than anyone in the place.  I don't take it personally, and neither should a woman who is experienced with firearms and doesn't fit the "female and firearms" stereotype. 

If I was asked my opinion on a firearm for a female, I'd go with a smaller caliber firearm with less recoil.  Just as if I was asked my opinion for a weak man, or a man who has no experience with firearms whatsoever.  I've seen some serious shooting ladies, especially skeet shooters, manage recoil like a man and expertly accurate.  The reality is these women are few and far between.  I wish more women would take to shooting sports and self defense, since they are more likely to be victimized and overpowered than a man.  I can't even convince my wife to get a carry permit. 

Well, I guess I will throw my 2 cents in here. I have been around guns all my life and my wife that passed away in 97 had not been. After a short time she was at the range with me shooting guns till she found the one she felt the most comfortable with. It was a 380 caliber. She shot all of my guns and that was the one she settled on. So that was what I bought her. She carried it with her all the time as she was a Home Health Care Nurse and sometimes had to come home late at night. We would go to the range monthly to stay crisp.

At the present time I own a couple heavy caliber hand guns and have ammo for all of them yet I choose to carry a Model 85 380 Bersa. As I have gotten older and my poor health has began to so up more I am more comfortable with the 380 than I would be with a 1911 or a Tokarev.............jmho 

I also wish more women would get involved in firearms, not necessarily because I consider them a weaker sex but because they would be able to defend themselves in situations that they would other wise be a victim. I would also like to read posts from lady shooters and get their views on things. My son taught his wife to shoot everything he owns which is quit a number of long and hand guns. She also prefers a smaller caliber firearm so she also chose a 380. Mind you she is 5"1' and weighs about 100 pounds but I saw her shoot her 380 and I damn sure would not want her shooting at me.

Now with that said I also think that there are probably many men out there that would rather not have a girlfriend or a wife that knows about guns or has one of their own. I think most of it is a complex some men have about a firearm is a manly thing which is a crock of crap. It is not a man thing. It is a choice thing to them.

I say welcome to all lady shooters and hope we have more of them join and contribute to our forums................... :up:  :up:  :up:  

• Like 2

First of all, please let me clarify. This post was not 100% directed at the forum in general. I sat and re-read it 4 times. I read it outlaid to my husband before I posted it and I even closed my phone and had a long conversation with him because I know how much he cares about this forum. This post was at things I read last night and after a few weeks of seeing negative things said about women and guns recently I think it was a breaking point for me. 

My husband was right last night. I am not like most women. I like buying shoes. Mostly sneakers and boots because I'm practical. My "purse" is usually a larger messenger type of bag to carry extra mags, a Fenix flashlight, my GT knife and anything that you might need from dental floss to chapstick to bandaids. So yes, clearly I might be more like most of you than a "regular" woman who would want to spend her money at the Coach store or Nordstrom's. 

Maybe I'm just oblivious to it but I don't see much negativity towards women here. Aside from the jabs at Hillary of course.

I really would like to hear what comments you found offensive. Maybe I or some of the other members could shed some light on why they said that or the train of thought behind it. I highly doubt anyone meant to have a condescending tone towards female shooters.

For me last night it was what I stated in my original comment. There was a post about "putting it in woman terms" when if I had wrote it the way the author was talking, I would have chosen to say "because it was a great deal" or "since I saved money". It's a bit like race. Sometimes we use terms that most don't find offensive while others are slightly offended. I wasn't offended last night, it was just one little snow flake that landed on a stick that couldn't hold any more snow.

You want men to stop grumbling to fellow men about how the intricacies of marital finances limit what guns they can get and when.  Yeah, I don't see that happening.  I'm sure if you go far back enough, you'd see something on the subject written as an epitaph on a Roman tombstone.

As to the whole what calibers women can shoot and all that...if the don't want the LGS salesman driving them towards .380 or 9mm, they need to remember the customer is always right.  Tell the guy you want to see the .45's or 10mm's, and if they make an ass out of themselves, ladies can take their business elsewhere.  Word will get out on who treats their customers with respect and who treats them as fragile little things that need a man to keep a hand on their back as they shoot.

"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we’re lucky we end life suckling on a breast.  So anybody who’s against breasts is against life itself."

-Denny Crane

I didn't say I wanted men to stop grumbling. If there is one thing I have noticed about this board it's that it's like a bar where everyone sits and talks without being face to face. And like I also said, I realized that not everyones relationships or bank accounts are the same. So if someone needs to get "permission" to buy a gun from their wife, that's ok. I would call it making a sound financial decision that won't cause the house to go into foreclosure, but if we need to call the right time to buy a gun "permission" then ok. As for the caliber thing, that was something I witnessed on TV, but I see it at stores too. I also see it on here sometimes when people talk about recoil and other things, I get it. But like I said, it shouldn't be something that is just assumed because a woman is a woman and not a man. I guess what I am talking about is just issues that I see that cause a rift in an area that could use support from all sexes.

On behalf of the testosterone laden, bearded, knuckle dragging, chauvinistic, loud mouthed, smelly, cigar smoking(my wifes' usual commentary) redneck, and largely male(if not true manly men) here; I would like to offer an apology for any of us who has made you feel in the slightest way uncomfortable or unwelcome.

You have been exactly as you've self-described yourself and very welcome as a change in the balance of power here. Ok so that's really a lie, the power structure still resides in TGO David and his minions....But never feel unwelcome or unwanted.

Seriously, you are welcomed here as a gun nut, not just as a pair of boobs as earlier mentioned; but with full rights to enjoy and say within reason anything you want.

If one of us has offended you by something said or written, chalk it off to male jealousy and move on. 

I, for one, blonde jokes aside; am glad to see the "fairer sex" involved in shooting sports and hunting. Hell, most women I know shoot better I do anyway, and that includes my wife. That took some getting used to. lol 

You sir, are too nice. I have never felt unwelcome. I have never felt anything directed at me. It's just somethings the things that are posted make me want to face palm myself in disbelief. I guess it's just going to be the way it is. And thats OK. But I just had to say it out loud. 

Your feelings are valid.  As well, I don't view the comments about restrictions on gun purchases due to wives as having negative intent.   I view them more as good natured joking.  If I were a woman I might not see them as funny.  I don't expect the 'money related to gun purchases related to the wife' jokes to go away, though it would be nice for men on this forum to be aware of how women perceive things.  <-- This is more of what I am getting at. Thank you Pete.

I would like to see more women on the forum as well. <-- Me too. I think not only are there women out there who have things to share but also, imagine an increase of benefactors. That could help the forum as well.   

I've seen a few posts here or there that were a slam against the physical strength of women and men who don't enjoy shooting high recoil guns.  These comments are the equivalent of the gorilla pounding his chest that he is the toughest gorilla of all and are more about how the man sees himself than others. <-- I might be guilty of this. I do like my 10mm quite a bit.

I enjoy your posts as well as Dolomite's Weezy's posts.  <-- See, she is the only other woman I can think of who regularly posts? 

Seems you might be on to something...not necessarily on TGO but most definitely out and about. Yesterday we didn't have time to get to my go to store Guns and Leather. We ended up going to a newer place near MJ. Place was fairly empty three people working there or at least they were employees. After about 5 minutes on guy comes over and asks if we need anything? My son explains to him we are looking for a holster for my wife. Instanty disinterested in helping at all now. Next he starts reading a text on his phone and walks away. Nice customer service there! <-- I am not going to name the place where I think you were, but if you were there, I can totally understand it. I have made 2 purchases there in my life. always 3 employees working. And you really only get attention when you are spending the big bucks. Also, if you're there as a couple, the man gets more eye contact. When I was shopping for Monkey's birthday gun this year I wanted a G29. They were the only one who had one in stock that was closest to me. The other would have been Guns and Leather in Greenbriar. I should have drove the extra hour and a half. But I didn't. When I got there, oh by the way, the gun is used. WTF. I have never been back nor will I ever.

So I am not sure how women became second class citizens with regards to exercising their rights? <-- I am not sure about that one. I think most women are scared too. Like I said, a lot of anti-gun thoughts comes from lack of exposure or no one taking the time to show someone. 

Rant off

In closing, I'm not an equal wages kinda girl. I don't give a crap if a man gets a job over me. I don't care that men are generally stronger than women (trust me, we know the take down points on a man). If you are a Netflix member do me a favor and watch "Morgan Spurlock: Inside man" Season 1 Episode 2. The whole episode in general will piss you off because it is just a piece of crap thrown together. But watch the women in it, watch how they talk, watch the men who interact with them. 

I know not even woman is going to be like me and I get that. I know that there are some women who will never like a .45 or 10mm. I know there are some who will never even touch a gun in their whole lives. I feel sorry for them. I guess I just wanted to say what I see and what I think of it. Luckily we don't all have to agree. 

• Like 7