Merry Christmas 2015!

TGO David

Merry Christmas everyone.

My brother posted this picture from Camp Lemonnier in Djibouti. I just want say thank you to all our soldiers who are making this possible today. I get to sit here and sip coffee this morning while they are thousands of miles away from their families.

[url=http://s854.photobucket.com/user/emathew3/media/joe%20christmas_zpsqemhtaqn.jpg.html]joe%20christmas_zpsqemhtaqn.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 4

btq...My favorite rendition of Choen's Hallelujah was done by the late Jeff Buckley.

Brandi Carlile does my favorite cover, she performed it as an encore the few times I've seen her live. The girl has some pipes that's for sure.

...and thank you for the kind words.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk, because I felt that Oh Shoot wanted to know that particular bit of information. Edited by btq96r

My favorite version.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdyTXBT5CQE[/media]

There are no bad versions. Seems each one I hear has a flavor all its own, and each a joy to listen to.

OK Big EDIT!!  Running thru all the versions the videos lead to...and I just listened to Leonard Cohen. How the Heck have I not heard this before???

I got chills listening to it.

Edited by hipower

OK Big EDIT!! Running thru all the versions the videos lead to...and I just listened to Leonard Cohen. How the Heck have I not heard this before???

I got chills listening to it.

LMAO. Now you know what everybody who covers is trying to imitate. He recorded the orginal version in 1984 and it has never been done better.
  • Administrator

Best wishes for a Happy Christmas for those of you celebrating it with friends and family today.  I may not like what our society makes this day out to be, but I know how deeply held it is to many and despite my protestations in general, I do genuinely hope that it's a positive day that reminds you what really matters in your life if you're celebrating it.

For those getting their Christmas dinner from a mermite flown or trucked in by the military supply chain- thank you for standing your watch.  I've been there and know what it can do to your mindset and hope you make it back soon.  But I also know that a Christmas overseas can be something special in its own right.  It was always one of those "whatever you make of it" situations.

For myself, I'm hoping that a Chinese restaurant is open somewhere in town, and that the Warriors/Cavs & Rockets/Spurs games are as good as advertised.  :cool:

The music is the same, but that's about it.  I wouldn't even call it a version of the song since Cloverton completely changed the meaning of it by turning it into a telling about the biblical version of Jesus' birth.

Cohen wrote a song about struggle (I did my best, it wasn't much)' doubt (Your faith was strong but you needed proof); and how even the individual meaning of the word Hallelujah is open to interpenetration (It doesn't matter which you heard/The holy or the broken Hallelujah).  Completely different context I'd say.  I used the 1984 lyrics from the Various Positions album, since that's my favorite version, but the '88 one is generally the same meaning.  I'd pay real money to get my hands on the 80 some verses Cohen originally wrote just to see how the song itself evolved.

There's nothing like a back-handed seasonal greeting.  :rolleyes:

My prayer for you is that God reveals Himself to you in a way that you cannot ignore or escape, and saves your soul for eternity.  :)