Methinks I want an AK - Best Options?

You have a real AK straight out of Russia! Convert it and enjoy.

What are you talking about? They get no more "real" than Saiga! To me, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Saiga, but it's the awkward sporterized version. The only part of the conversion I don't feel confident about is drilling/tapping the bullet guide, but I guess I could keep using Saiga mags until I man up and install the guide.

I can't recall

I do know i never would put a 74 style brake on a 47 [emoji12]

I got it from someone on here, but for the life of me, I can't recall who. Bought it in the Kroger's parking lot in Lebanon. It went full auto on me when the trigger pin walked out. A set of extra long pins fixed it, and it's been perfect since. It also came with a folding stock, original brake, bayonet, gas piston, and an assortment of other goodies.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Saiga, but it's the awkward sporterized version. The only part of the conversion I don't feel confident about is drilling/tapping the bullet guide, but I guess I could keep using Saiga mags until I man up and install the guide.

If you ever get up to Nashville bring the Saiga with you. We can knock the whole thing out in about 20 minutes.
  • Like 2

It went full auto on me when the trigger pin walked out. A set of extra long pins fixed it, and it's been perfect since.

Wait, so, your semi-auto AK-clone "accidentally" converted itself to full-auto simply by having a piece slip...... And you fixed it? :shrug:

Now I understand why everyone wants an AK!! LOL!

We were joking about about that at the LGS last week, mgr. was un-boxing a DPMS and said 'hey, wanna see how to commit a felony....', and showed us where to mod what to make it FA. LOL!

I firmly believe it's only illegal if you get caught... so it's not uncommon to have an un-registered conversion hidden in the back of the gun-safe?

- K

Wait, so, your semi-auto AK-clone "accidentally" converted itself to full-auto simply by having a piece slip...... And you fixed it? :shrug:

Now I understand why everyone wants an AK!! LOL!

We were joking about about that at the LGS last week, mgr. was un-boxing a DPMS and said 'hey, wanna see how to commit a felony....', and showed us where to mod what to make it FA. LOL!

I firmly believe it's only illegal if you get caught... so it's not uncommon to have an un-registered conversion hidden in the back of the gun-safe?

- K

One can easily make an AK full auto with a paper clip if he wanted to. This was actually quite disconcerting as my son was firing it at the time. He sure had a smile on his face after it was over, however.

Would vote either a wasr or npap depending on if you want a folder or not.  As far as I know wasrs no longer come in with anything other than fixed stock.  The yugos don't have chrome lined barrels so that may be a negative to consider depending on your personal preference and maintenance habits or lack thereof.  An Arsenal *can*(they have put out some turds too) be a step up in gun and the only(readily available) factory '74 unless you can still find a Saiga or Vepr to convert.  A Vepr in .308 or 7.62x39 would be a solid choice as well and arguably the best quality factory option overall.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I bought a Century RAS47 as soon as they were released and love it. Now have it decked out in Magpul furniture, an Ultimak, and a red dot. It's been very, very accurate for me and 100% reliable.