HCP renewal price increase?

Got mine in the mail today, when did they raise it to $75?

Are you sure you have confirmed the number of years you are renewing for?  They are working to sync everyones renewals to their birthdates in 5 year cycles.  Aka 20,25,30,35,40, etc.

Thanks

Robert

Are you sure you have confirmed the number of years you are renewing for?  They are working to sync everyones renewals to their birthdates in 5 year cycles.  Aka 20,25,30,35,40, etc.

Thanks

Robert

Unless you're like 24 or 29, etc. then it's 6 years for $75.  They really simplified it.

The change took effect February 19 of this year.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/handgunmain

Edited by Garufa

Ok, I guess that's why it's higher.I didn't know they changed it.
Thanks

Price is set by statute, which has not changed. It's just the varying time lengths which was enacted to sync with the 5 year DL renewals. Which now of course it won't, since our idiots changed the DL to 8 without changing the HCP part.

- OS

I wonder what will happen when mine is due-1 year left on my HCP but 2 years on my DL.That will put it only 1 year apart.

They'll either short or lengthen the renewal period to hit the 5 year DL thing. But DL will change to an 8 year renewal so they'll still not be in sych anyway.

- OS

They most likely will renew you in for six years so the 2 dates match up.

Thanks

Robert

But they won't match after 2016, because most driver licenses change to 8 years instead of 5, and the HCP change doesn't account for that.

Am I the only one who gets that?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Just pony up and get the lifetime license and you won't have to worry about when to renew it or if they raise the fees.

I doubt they would go up appreciably. If you do the math, the lifetime license only makes since if you are under age 40 and expect to live past age 80.

$500.00 (lifetime rate) / 12.50 (the current per-year fee rate) = the equivalent of 40 years worth of prepaid licensing fees.

For those of us over 50, it's not really economic sense. The per year rate would have to increase to $17 or more for older folks to break even.

However, for young whippersnappers and millennials, the lifetime is not necessarily a bad deal though-- except that, just like the 5-year renewals, it could be suspended or revoked for any number of reasons, and if that ever happened,  I seriously doubt that you'd get any kind of pro-rata refund.

Because of this potential revocation factor, I prefer to pay as I go, thank you very much.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 2

My HCP renewal was $87.50 with an expiration date of 04/13/2023. This is a little over 7 years after my previous HCP expiration date (02/23/2016) and exactly 5 years after my DL expiration date (04/13/2018).

Edited by 10P8TRIOT
  • 3 weeks later...

They'll either short or lengthen the renewal period to hit the 5 year DL thing. But DL will change to an 8 year renewal so they'll still not be in sych anyway.

- OS

OS, that's kinda like fixing something, then breaking it again before it leaves the shop.