Bud's store in Sevierville............

jh225

I have not purchased any thing since the store opened in Tennessee but back before when I ordered from Buds in Louisville I didn't have to pay sales tax to the FFL. Only fee for the transaction and back ground check. I think now that Buds has come to Tennessee you are required to pay the sales tax, transaction fee and back ground check but not totally sure............. :shrug: :shrug:

Edited by bersaguy

I have not purchased any thing since the store opened in Tennessee but back before when I ordered from Buds in Louisville I didn't have to pay sales tax to the FFL. Only fee for the transaction and back ground check. I think now that Buds has come to Tennessee you are required to pay the sales tax, transaction fee and back ground check but not totally sure............. :shrug: :shrug:

Nope. Still no sales tax from budsgunshop.com.

- OS

That's what everyone was expecting and perhaps someone heard or perhaps it makes more sense to keep the business names separate. But either way there is no tax collected on 2 purchases in resent months.

Buds.com has much better pricing, and no TN sales Tax & free shipping on guns

Yes, but if the gun is the same price, tax vs transfer is pretty much a wash on an inexpensive gun.

Plus, if purchased on any of the mfr.'s LEO program (which usually includes a wide array of 1st responders too), the prices are set by the mfr. So, if I can go to the store and buy the gun I want, it would actually be cheaper than doing it online.

Yes, but if the gun is the same price, tax vs transfer is pretty much a wash on an inexpensive gun.

Plus, if purchased on any of the mfr.'s LEO program (which usually includes a wide array of 1st responders too), the prices are set by the mfr. So, if I can go to the store and buy the gun I want, it would actually be cheaper than doing it online.

If you have an FFL like we do here that charges 10 clams for transfer, anything over ~$108 will cost more in 9.25% sales tax than transfer assuming you can get it online for same price or cheaper.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Have to be a pretty inexpensive gun to beat a 15.00 transfer...

Edited by teecro

If you have an FFL like we do here that charges 10 clams for transfer, anything over ~$108 will cost more in 9.25% sales tax than transfer assuming you can get it online for same price or cheaper.

- OS

Have to be a pretty inexpensive gun to beat a 15.00 transfer...

Don't know where the heck you guyz are getting transfers for $10-15, but around here, cheapest is $25 and I thought that was great compared to others charging up to $50.

I look at it like this...... If I order a S&W 442/642 from Buds online via the QP program, it costs $343 + insurance of about $12 (which I think is a crock of sht that they don't insure it) and knowing their pony express delivery, I have to wait 2 weeks to see it. So $355 + 25 transfer for $380 + TICS.

If I am traveling and can go to the store, I would pay $343 (set program price) + tax =$374.72 + TICS.

So yes, it's a wash, AND I get to walk out the door with it.

Obviously, the higher the cost of the gun, the more the online deal makes sense, but to pay a few bucks more and be able to walk out with what you want is worth the price of admission. If I lived near the store, I would be broke by now. :rofl:

Edited by jh225

Fighting Sheepdog a member here does transfers for 15.00 dollars... While I'd like to throw more business by the way of local stores and I would and do when the situation lines up but for me the wait does not factor in as I work away from home a month at a time and there is nothing I hate more than wasting my time shopping when I am home for my 2 weeks leave. That long ago made me an internet shopper as I can find what I want not settle for what in in the showcase...

Also I've never bothered with the insurance as it is not going to get lost and the shipping carrier will be liable for that....

I typically turn over every rock and stone that I can to find the best deal on the internet for a new gun once the decision has been made to buy.  Time is of no matter to me, I have the patience of Job.  Its a weird obsession that I have to save money when buying new.  I have no desire or loyalty to any brick and mortar (never have & never will).  More money in my pocket, means more for my hobby.  Its a eccentric perspective, but I don't believe in spreading or redistributing unnecessary funds that I earned to anyone, money is simply too hard to earn, especially disposable income for a gun hobby.   LGS can prey upon the impatient, the less informed and ones that are flushed with cash.   Don't worry, people like me are likely less than 0.01%, and won't bankrupt the LGS.  But hey, I am serious gun nut!  :screwy:

I read the thread and want to make sure I understand.  Let's say I order from Buds online I pay for the gun plus insurance and have it sent to a local "preferred" FFL dealer for $25 or $35 plus the $10 TN background.  Wouldn't the local FFL in TN collect the TN sales tax?  

Update: Looked up a FFL in TN.  They only collect the transfer fee plus $10, no tax.  Answered my own question.  

Edited by Champ198

Buds in Sevierville does NOT do the LEO/1st Responder program. Even had the counter guy go ask a manager. KY store yes, TN store, no.

When I was there I asked about the program and was told bring my papers and they would process. This was about 2 weeks ago.

When I was there I asked about the program and was told bring my papers and they would process. This was about 2 weeks ago.

No big deal, I'll just order from the online Bud's store as I have in the past. I was going to buy from a certain vendor here when I was in their area a couple weeks ago, but after not even having the courtesy to respond to a second PM, I wouldn't give them a dime.