More Pics - Very Cool Stamp on Barrel

Check out this stamp from my 1903 Springfield.  It's really cool in terms of today.  I'm impressed that they came up with this almost 100 years ago.

98 years old and still looking good.  Here are picks of the whole gun.  Note that the bayonet has a bomb stamp.  It's a little different that the one on the gun but still cool. 

Many of you know that I've never seen a stock that didn't need a good re-finishing.  I've committed to my self and generations that follow that I won't re-finish history.  Having said that, I don't think this is the original finish as I don't see a 98 year old patina.  What are your thoughts?  If this isn't the original finish then I think I can make her look even better!

I do think that I have the original sling, though it needs some treatment before putting it back on the gun.  Also, the bore is sparkling.

1903%204_zpsyaep1lcv.jpg

1903%20%206%20Bayonet%20Logo_zpsfsutheef

1903%20Springfield_zpsj7fwekka.jpg

1903%202_zps1tzstcz8.jpg1903%207_zpslesbqvrw.jpg

1903%208_zpsa51aikac.jpg

Edited by Pete123
  • Like 2

Technically it's a shell, not a bomb.

Must be some kind of QA/QC stamp.  Wonder if "2-18" means Feb. 1918 as the date when it passed inspection and was added to an armory somewhere.  That would make it a rifle made during the ramp up in production during the WWI.  Very cool indeed if that's the case. 

• Like 1

Flaming bomb marks were also applied to weapons made elsewhere after being inventoried in US arsenals.  Many of the Remington and NEW Mosin Nagant rifles are virtually covered with variations of this stamp, apparently each arsenal had it's own system for marking both rifles produced there and additional rifles that entered service from other manufacturers.

I'm no 1903 expert, but the stock finish looks original to me, at least as to when it last left the arsenal. I would guess that it's a replacement stock, quite common on these from what little I know.  If it were mine, I wouldn't touch a thing, but that's pretty much my philosophy on all these old milsurps, original or not ...

• Like 1
[quote name="Pete123" post="1339017" timestamp="1451098221"]Check out this stamp from my 1903 Springfield.  It's really cool in terms of today.  I'm impressed that they came up with this almost 100 years ago.

98 years old and still looking good.  Here are picks of the whole gun.  Note that the bayonet has a bomb stamp.  It's a little different that the one on the gun but still cool. 

Many of you know that I've never seen a stock that didn't need a good re-finishing.  I've committed to my self and generations that follow that I won't re-finish history.  Having said that, I don't think this is the original finish as I don't see a 98 year old patina.  What are your thoughts?  If this isn't the original finish then I think I can make her look even better!

I do think that I have the original sling, though it needs some treatment before putting it back on the gun.  Also, the bore is sparkling.

FYI, something you may already know but thought I would pass along.

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT EXPECT TO EVER AGAIN RECEIVE LARGE QUANTITIES OF THESE MODELS.

M1903*
WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” SPRINGFIELDS

M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury.  It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.

To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts.  This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507.  All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles.  Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.

In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields.  During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields.  The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.

Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down.  All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body.  High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.

A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”.  All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”.  In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).

CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER.  SUCH RIFLES SHOULD BE REGARDED AS COLLECTOR’S ITEMS, NOT “SHOOTERS”.

CMP ALSO DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE, REGARDLESS OF SERIAL NUMBER, WITH A SINGLE HEAT-TREATED “LOW NUMBER” BOLT.  SUCH BOLTS, WHILE HISTORICALLY CORRECT FOR DISPLAY WITH A RIFLE OF WWI OR EARLIER VINTAGE, MAY BE DANGEROUS TO USE FOR SHOOTING.

THE UNITED STATES ARMY GENERALLY DID NOT SERIALIZE BOLTS.  DO NOT RELY ON ANY SERIAL NUMBER APPEARING ON A BOLT TO DETERMINE WHETHER SUCH BOLT IS “HIGH NUMBER” OR “LOW NUMBER”.