Looking for a new progressive

Well it's official with the wife now shooting 9mm I need to start reloading in volume for it. I'm comfortable with progressive presses I've been using a CH Auto Champ for 45acp for a looong time. Of course it's no longer made and no parts availability. So I'm looking for a new press.

I'm not a fan of the Lee presses, I'm thinking the Hornady ammo plant, or a Dillon XL650.

Any advice would be appreciated. This will be used for 9mm and maybe 40S&W. I'll also probably add a case feeder in the future.

Thanks!

Any users of the Hornady L&L AP out there?

I've had one for several years now and love it.  It's a great press and Hornady's customer service rivals Dillon's.  I've broken a part or two and they send replacements free of charge even though it was my fault and I told them so.  Caliber changes are really quick with Hornady's bushing system.  Switching calibers with same size primer takes a matter of seconds. 

I really can't think of anything to complain about. 

With all that said, I'm sure you would be happy with the Dillon also.  They have a strong following

I have the Hornady LNL.  thousands of 45 and 9mm.  Nothing to bad mouth about Dillon, but the LNL and 650 are on even ground IMO.  If you are adding bullet and/or case feeder I would give the nod to Dillon.  Each has its idiosyncrasies.  Both have good customer service. 

How much of a volume do you intend to shoot? Couple hundred a month or couple thousand?

I started on a Lee Classic, Moved to a Square Deal and now got into a XL650 because the wife and I will go through about 15-20K rounds in a year.

If you get the 650 just pitch for the case feeder, I got mine from Bobcat Steel in IN setup for 9mm w/ a CF for under 770 shipped.

Dillon has crazy good customer service, Ive broken priming systems and snapped all manner of guide rods, index detents and what have you and they always replace the whole thing no questions asked.

Conversions are a little pricier than the 550 but that 5th station on the 650 is great to run a trimmer, powder check, bullet feeder or some other specialized die on.

If you find yourself near Clarksville I have both SDBs and the 650 setup. Ill be doing a review on the 650 soon in addition to my SDB review.

I hate the 550, it doesnt auto index - the only advantage it has over the SDB is the ability to do rifle cartridges.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I got the Hornady LNL AP about three months ago from MidSouth.  (still on sale under $400 the last I checked)  Adding the shell plates and dies still kept things within budget.  I've loaded a few thousand 9mm so far without any major problems.  Plenty of youtube videos for fine tuning the adjustments to get things in synch for a guy like me with his first progressive.  

I did some research before buying and the Dillon wins at the polls, but I couldn't break the cycle of springing a little more to upgrade to the 550, the 650, the 1050, etc.  If I win the lottery, I think it will be a complete 1050 with all accessories for every caliber.  Until then, I'm expecting the Hornady to get me through 10k plus rounds per year in various calibers.  Besides, I need more practice and will be using the savings to get more components.  (I think the free 500 bullets offer from Hornady runs until the end of the year.)  

If you haven't found this site here's a source for some C&H Auto Champ parts... http://www.ch4d.com/

I run a Dillon 550B which does what I need and sometimes use a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press or a circa 1970 RCBS Rockchucker. I also have an RCBS Piggyback I which was rebuilt and updated to a Piggyback II by the factory. I all honesty for most purposes the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press will do an impressive job of putting out a lot of quality reloads.

I don't use the PB I/II but its there if I ever have a mind to tinker with it. You have to determine the volume of shooting you'll be doing and either the 550B or 650 will do the job for you without a lot of muss or fuss.

I haven't used a Lee Load Master but have used the Lee Pro 1000. If your a tinkerer you'll be able to run either, if your not then you'll be frustrated. I know the LP1K will run 100% if you set it up for one caliber and one load and just use it. Deviate from that at your own risk, mine ran for years until the second time I tore it down for a move.

Edited by TNWNGR
I had a Dillon 550 years ago. It was a good machine but I want auto index.

Had a friend with a Lee load master and I spent to many days fixing it to want one for myself now.

It sounds like it's a toss up between the Dillon 650 and the Hornady. I will just shop for the best deal...

I have had the LNL for a couple of years now, and the only problem I have had out of it is the plastic bracket that holds the primer slide guide rod has broke. I called hornady and I had to buy it, which was not a problem as I should have stopped when I felt the resistance so it was on me. I ran across a used 650 not to long ago and was about to start using it as well. But when comparing them side by side in person, I really didn't see a reason to start all over again because they are really comparable in quality. I think the Hornady wins on the quickness and cost of caliber changes imo. They are both fine machines but I ended up passing the 650 on to somebody else, mainly because I was already comfortable with using the hornady and I already have the case feeder for it. I would have had to buy that for the 650 so it really didn't make sense to go down that road.

I still haven't decided yet. I will report back here when I do. The decision is going to be based on price as the 2 presses are so close in ratings etc.

I used to have a friend with a Lee load master. It is a big step up from the Lee 1000, but the priming system was always a bit troublesome. It get stuck and you would have rounds loaded without primers... not good.

If you go with the Lee just remember you will have to mess with it often if that doesn't bother you its a bargain.