School Me on Grease

My experience:

I love CLP as a "do it all" clean & oil when I am in a hurry.  *but... I have had CLP applied to a cleaned rifle, put up in the (dehumidified) safe and pulled the rifle out months later to find parts of it bone dry.

I have never had a firearm with SLIP 2000 on it completely dry out like that.  I use both weights of SLIP 2000's oil and their EWG on rails & sliding surfaces of the BCG (love that stuff!).  I just use a toothpick to apply it.

• Like 1
I've used frog lube for years but I'm moving away from it now on my AR's. I've had trouble with it in cold weather. It seems to be gunking up when the temps drop causing the bolt to not go fully into battery. I wonder if I'm the only one that has experienced this.

I've used frog lube for years but I'm moving away from it now on my AR's. I've had trouble with it in cold weather. It seems to be gunking up when the temps drop causing the bolt to not go fully into battery. I wonder if I'm the only one that has experienced this.

Cooking oil does loose some viscosity as the temps drop.

I have some tetra but haven't used it yet. The oil, not grease. It turned over and spilled in my ammo can and good lord that stuff stinks. I'm looking for something else that works.

I've been using that stuff and is does have a weird smell.  Usually, I just run a wet patch through the bore before storing and I think it really does help reduce fouling the next time out. 

It does have an unfortunate appearance though. 

The Slip has no odor that I can detect. One of tye reasons I like it

With so many great smelling gun care products out there why anyone would want a scentless one is beyond me.  One of my most difficult decisions on a Saturday evening is whether to put on a splash of Balistol or Hoppes No. 9, it doesn't really matter because my wife hates both  because, well, she's a woman.

Hoppes just isn't what it used to be... I had several quart glass jars from the 1950s it was great, the new stuff isn't as effective but does smell great. Old stuff probably could cause cancer but it worked great.

I want a second entry free or at least odor free gun oil because if you use tetra I'll be able to tell you're carrying from across the room!

The 'ol German comes out of me at times like this. The mark up on gun related stuff is large. When I had one of my open guns built the gunsmith that did it gave me a pint container of synthetic grease from the auto parts place. I've still got almost half of it left. Synthetic grease isn't affected by temperature. So on the coldest days your gun will work just fine and the lubricating ability is better than petroleum grease.

• Like 2

I have tried just about everything. I gave the Frog a try. Tried a little, tried a lot, tried letting it dry, etc, etc. Especially if the gun set for several weeks it would get gummy, 1911 was very noticeable. Tetra has been good, but mobile 1 is my go to for everything and no problems.

Have any of you used Fireclean? I've put it on a couple of guns. I only have a small sample that came with my BCG when I bought it. I have seen the "It's only Crisco" articles but I don't completely buy into that. If it works, it works. I really haven't used it enough to go out and buy a small bottle for $20 yet.

Over lubed but clean. Drop it in the he dirt before shooting it...

Like most things moderation is the key. Lubrication has to be on the working surfaces to be effective. Too little is probably worse than too much if you clean your weapon regularly. Many people don't maintain either cleanliness or lubrication in balance.

Use something slippery and put it on the moving parts where they contact other parts and you're good to go. Motor oil may work just fine for you as long as you use it.

Interesting video to watch!

The 'ol German comes out of me at times like this. The mark up on gun related stuff is large. When I had one of my open guns built the gunsmith that did it gave me a pint container of synthetic grease from the auto parts place. I've still got almost half of it left. Synthetic grease isn't affected by temperature. So on the coldest days your gun will work just fine and the lubricating ability is better than petroleum grease.

Does it ever get cold enough in TN to make a difference in a non water based product?  It barely gets below freezing here.   Its new years and I haven't even found my coat yet this year.

• 4 weeks later...

i use oil and grease.  on my ar's i go with oil.  on my lever action guns i went with grease. i  found that grease works better.  on my pistols it is either/or. some of my  pistols like oil others like grease.  as for grease it does not take much to get the job done. 

Tons of opinions already so I guess one more won't hurt.  I too have always gone by the rule of "if it slides then grease and if it rotates then oil".  I however hate spending a ton of time cleaning crap so I save time where I can.  For that reason I use CLP almost exclusively.  I also keep a bottle of RemOil on hand for a couple of reasons.  I too store mine in a dehumidified safe and if I grab one out and it is a little dry I can touch it up with some of the RemOil real quick and its good for a while again.  Especially my older well used mil-surps that don't necessarily have a lot of finish left on them; they really seem to like a good wipe down with rag and remoil on occasion.  Also I have always heard that AR's like to be run wet and that is the primary purpose/aside from gas venting of the two little holes machined into the side of the carrier on the ejection port side is to place a very few drops of oil into.  You don't want to hose any weapon down with lubrication because of reasons already mentioned above with picking up dirt, etc as I am sure you already know.  The only other product in my my cleaning/maintenance regimen is big tube of Lubriplate.  This is mil-spec grease.  The grease that used to be issued with M1 Garands, Carbines, M14, etc.  At some point the company making that rebranded themselves as Lubriplate.  I put a very small amount of this on pistol rails, M1 rails and bolt lugs, as well as AK style rails.  This is available on Amazon for pretty cheap considering one tube will pretty much last you your lifetime.