School Me on Grease

Coming from the Army, I was taught that CLP (Break Free) was the answer to all my AR related needs for cleaning and maintenance.  I'm getting interested in grease as I bought a pistol and it was shipped with grease from the original owner, and it seemed so damn smooth.  So, my questions are as follows:

1. What do I need to know about using grease compared to using an oil like CLP or RemOil?  Don't assume I have a baseline of knowledge, I assure you, on this topic, I don't.
  2. What is a good "all-purpose," easy to use grease?  I've heard good things about Frog Lube, but I don't want to have to follow a checklist for applying this stuff, just put it where it needs to go, work the action, put the weapons away, and be able to fire them when I want without other prep.
  3. Where, and how much, do I lube an AR and a striker fired pistol with the grease that meets the criteria in question #2?
Edited by btq96r

I probably will not hit on all you questions but I ran Lucas red N tacky on the AK and 1911 with no issues. When I finished the AR build I started using the Lucas gun oil. It's says oil but it's still really tacky and sticks to every part you put it on. I tend to run all my weapons a little "wet" I think and metal on metal should have plenty of lube. I've used remoil and clp but I really like the Lucas products. If you ever want to try it let me know. We are both in the Boro and I owe you money for FF. 4ecd70d997beef102b97bdb8c7b43a8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it slides grease it, if it rotates oil is the old saying.

If don't mess with grease on an AR much because they get filthy and the grease just makes it messier.  Rifles like M1 Garands, Carbines and M1A's pretty much need grease.  On 1911's and other semi-auto pistols I like to grease the rails where the slide rests.  It's amazing the malfunctions this will prevent.

I bought a tube of this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133862/tetra-gun-grease-1-oz-tube about six years ago.  It's now about empty but the point is a little goes a long way.

• Like 5
For years I used the smallest amount of moly grease from Brownell on slide rails. The problem is it will collect dirt and grit then it's lapping compound not grease... I learned the hard way that for me a little light oil was best. I carry all the time and lint and body oil/sweat are the big problems.

I now use slip 2000 it's a very light oil that will wick into every surface.

When oiling a pistol I put one drop at the front and rear of each rail, one on the top of the barrel shroud at the front of the ejection port, then open the action and one drop on the front of the barrel, the disconnector, the trigger, and the rear of the firing pin. A striker gun gets a drop on the front face of the striker.

This method has worked well for me. Minimum buildup, and no noticeable wear.

For me running a gun wet to solve reliability problems isn't a solution it's a crutch for some other issue. Most guns should be able to be run dry, and run...

If don't mess with grease on an AR much because they get filthy and the grease just makes it messier.  Rifles like M1 Garands, Carbines and M1A's pretty much need grease.  On 1911's and other semi-auto pistols I like to grease the rails where the slide rests.  It's amazing the malfunctions this will prevent.

I bought a tube of this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133862/tetra-gun-grease-1-oz-tube about six years ago.  It's now about empty but the point is a little goes a long way.

I'm with Garufa.

I'm fond of Mil-Comm TW25B

KY jelly is my personal favorite.

I once listened all day to a guy who was a bolt expert talk about bolts. The one and only thing I brought away from that fascinating sermon was "The larger your shaft, the better grade lubricant you need".

That's my extent of grease knowledge. :D Hope it helps.

• Like 1

Coming from the Army, I was taught that CLP (Break Free) was the answer to all my AR related needs for cleaning and maintenance.  I'm getting interested in grease as I bought a pistol and it was shipped with grease from the original owner, and it seemed so damn smooth.  So, my questions are as follows:

1. What do I need to know about using grease compared to using an oil like CLP or RemOil?  Don't assume I have a baseline of knowledge, I assure you, on this topic, I don't.
  2. What is a good "all-purpose," easy to use grease?  I've heard good things about Frog Lube, but I don't want to have to follow a checklist for applying this stuff, just put it where it needs to go, work the action, put the weapons away, and be able to fire them when I want without other prep.
  3. Where, and how much, do I lube an AR and a striker fired pistol with the grease that meets the criteria in question #2?

1) grease traps dirt and grit, so after a while it sort of morphs into scouring powder -- that's ok, replace it now and then.  Rem oil is a good cleaner but it evaporates and is too thin, its gone pretty fast after using the gun... I use it to spray and wipe rustable guns.   Clp is a good cleaner but its not really a lube, its better than remoil as a lube though.

2) Heh, I just use my case lube from my reloading stuff.  Its hornady's tub, whatever they call it.  Ill also use 3 in 1 oil (its a little thicker) or even clp and remoil but those two really don't last but 1 range trip.   Most of my guns have the case lube on the major moving parts (slide / bolt) and thin oil sprayed in the works (trigger / action / other moving parts) whenever they feel sticky between deep cleanings. 

3) thin lite layer of grease will last a long time.  About the time you feel like the chamber/barrel needs cleaing, go ahead and strip off the old grease and reapply.  For me, that's a couple hundred rounds usually, depending on the gun. 

4) you didn't ask but just about the time anyone puts the word "gun" on a lube product, the price doubles.  

A 3rd for the mil-comm stuff.

Grease is the most appropriate lubricant for firearms, though oil is fine in most applications. The reason lots of people don't like grease is they use way too much of it. A little goes a long, long way. A thin film is all that's needed. That's why I like the mil-comm syringe as it allows you to put a very small amount where, and only where it's needed. No goopy mess to deal with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UTOVX8/ref=pd_aw_sim_200_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=4142Tg%2Bhe4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C50_&refRID=10S0JDAZ1ZPCXKPN71HZ Edited by peejman

I've used grease in the past, but I seriously don't think there is much of a difference between oil and grease on guns in use.  I mostly use CLP because CLP has all three properties, it's in the name Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant. If you let it sit long enough you can see it separate into an oil and a thicker grease like substance.  The only thing I now use grease on is things like guns I plan on storing for a bit, or maybe if I am going to run a large amount of ammo through them at the range but only sometimes there.  The grease I have in my box is milspec, used for the 240G, but like I said I rarely use any.

I use Tetra as well. I researched it at the time. It has been so long ago that I forgot why. I have no complaints

KY jelly is my personal favorite.

I once listened all day to a guy who was a bolt expert talk about bolts. The one and only thing I brought away from that fascinating sermon was "The larger your shaft, the better grade lubricant you need".

That's my extent of grease knowledge. :D Hope it helps.

When it comes to inserting damn near anything into an anus, human or otherwise, KY is the ticket. But, since it's water based, you don't want it anywhere near a firearm.

When it comes to inserting damn near anything into an anus, human or otherwise, KY is the ticket. But, since it's water based, you don't want it anywhere near a firearm.

No, but Vaseline works quite well with beeswax as a bullet lube.

I probably will not hit on all you questions but I ran Lucas red N tacky on the AK and 1911 with no issues. When I finished the AR build I started using the Lucas gun oil. It's says oil but it's still really tacky and sticks to every part you put it on. I tend to run all my weapons a little "wet" I think and metal on metal should have plenty of lube. I've used remoil and clp but I really like the Lucas products. If you ever want to try it let me know. We are both in the Boro and I owe you money for FF. 4ecd70d997beef102b97bdb8c7b43a8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds a lot like engine assembly lube which I would guess would make a fine gun grease. 

I just imagine some gun grabbing ding-a-ling lurking around here looking for any dirt they can to use against us, then they find this post and lump us in with those ISIS goat humpers.  Maybe they will chime in, folks like that tend to be experts in things like anus insertions.

Got a standard little speech for the grease and gun oil thing... Learned it from a world class gunsmith i'll not name... He said:... "Buy the one on sale at Brownells... They are all good..."... Personally, i like anything synthetic and moisture displacing... CLP is a pretty good example... I think we've got some Slip2000 grease and oil around here too... Grease the frame rails, as others have said, with just a touch of grease... Oil and wipe down everything else...

leroy