New Ruger American line of pistols forthcoming

musicman

The more I see and read of this, the more I like it.  Steelharp, how would you say the 45 compares with the old SR45?

Yeah that was going to be my next question because I'd been planning on purchising an SR45, I can easily wait a few extra months though.

• Like 1

The more I see and read of this, the more I like it.  Steelharp, how would you say the 45 compares with the old SR45?

I would have to say my initial impression is that the American feels a bit better in the hand; the trigger is DEFINITELY an improvement. Not that I don't like the SR45 trigger... but this is a lot smoother. More like the new LC9s.

• Like 1

I hope this Ruger American pistol ends up being an awesomely reliable gun. I hope it gives Glock some competition among the people who want an all American gun.

Right now , in my opinon , it's hard to find much American things that run reliabily , for instance cars and truck . That's why I buy Japanese cars and trucks. So I hope this American Pistol turns out to be the most awesome thing since Glock made the 17 back in the 80's. I am a big Glock and Ruger fan but lots of people kind of turn their heads on Ruger when they hear of one running very well or shooting great and so on . Some people just dont seem to think they can do what S&W , H&K , Berettea ,or GLock can do . I beleive they can and I sure hope this turns out great .

This is really funny , cause when I first seen this pistol a few days ago , I thought it looked terrible , but it seems to be growing on me now. I got burned by buying a brand new "just released" pistol by CZ when the P-07 came out and it was a "dud" , but I am really aiming to try this new Ruger American pistol.

• Like 2

Anyone else notice the second mag in each course of fire in that video, there were 18 shots? Wonder wassup with that?

EDIT: Yep, watched it again just to be sure. 2nd mag each time from an open slide, there were 18 rounds fired. Guess one mag holds 18?

Edited by Steelharp

Interesting. There maight have been another since but I recall all of the gunrag goings on about the Steyer 18 round pistol GB9 with its 18 round magazine. With one up the pipe and the magazine topped off it was a 19 round pistol. I hope the Ruger American 9mm P and 45 ACP are more successful.  

I hope this Ruger American pistol ends up being an awesomely reliable gun. I hope it gives Glock some competition among the people who want an all American gun.

Right now , in my opinon , it's hard to find much American things that run reliabily , for instance cars and truck . That's why I buy Japanese cars and trucks. So I hope this American Pistol turns out to be the most awesome thing since Glock made the 17 back in the 80's. I am a big Glock and Ruger fan but lots of people kind of turn their heads on Ruger when they hear of one running very well or shooting great and so on . Some people just dont seem to think they can do what S&W , H&K , Berettea ,or GLock can do . I beleive they can and I sure hope this turns out great .

This is really funny , cause when I first seen this pistol a few days ago , I thought it looked terrible , but it seems to be growing on me now. I got burned by buying a brand new "just released" pistol by CZ when the P-07 came out and it was a "dud" , but I am really aiming to try this new Ruger American pistol.

Find an old Security Six revolver, then try to shoot it till it dies.  You won't live that long ...

Y'all are a lot more observant than I am.  I watched that very same video, and didn't notice the round count.  All I noticed was that he wasn't able to shoot it very accurately...

He shot it like most right handed shooters I see. If you don't secure your grip with your LEFT hand properly, that's how you shoot. Need to have a 40% right - 60% left type grip ratio.

Edited by Steelharp
  • Like 1

Interesting. There maight have been another since but I recall all of the gunrag goings on about the Steyer 18 round pistol GB9 with its 18 round magazine. With one up the pipe and the magazine topped off it was a 19 round pistol. I hope the Ruger American 9mm P and 45 ACP are more successful.  

The Canik TP9sa has 18 rd mags; unless you get the 20 rounder.

M.A.C with Military Arms Channel didn't have very good things to say about the new gun in his latest video. It's worth watching.

Cliff notes: I may have left a few off each list

cons

• above average recoil for its class
  • shoots to the left for everyone that has shot it
  • fat grip which is chaffing the thumb knuckle of everyone that shot it
  • price point-similar guns have more features at a lower price
  • above average weight for its size
  • horrible trigger reset
  • slide releases on its own when inserting full magazine

Pros

• good trigger takeup
  • reliable
  • safe takedown for cleaning-no trigger pull required.
  • Like 1

I just handled one at my local shop. It felt great and is a bit bigger and thicker than I thought. Kinda felt like the size of a Glock 17 or 22 but heavier. The trigger break feels a little on the soft side but I am just used to shooting Glocks. When reseting the trigger , there was quite a long ways for the trigger to tavel forward before it reset. Longer than a GLock or M&P . The one they had had been shot quite a bit and had the usual shiny wear that some guns get on the barrel hood and on top of the chamber where the barrel locks up into the slide. If I sell one of my Glocks that I have for sale ,I will definitley buy this new Ruger in 9mm. The fact that Ruger left off the big ole flimsy looking loaded chamber indicator that is on the SR series is great to me . And no more thumb safety is great too.  I was pleased at looking and handling it .

There will be those who won't be able to resist the temptation to throw money at a new offering by Ruger. After watching this video, I wouldn't even consider it.

And on the flip side we have already seen folks here on TGO who will defend it simply because they love Ruger. Facts and first hand accounts be damned.