New Ruger American line of pistols forthcoming

musicman

I believe the term is "equal opportunity hand gunner" :)

Hah!  I like that.

No 1911? That's the only REAL handgun, right?

Just thought I'd help this thread along in the direction it's going.

But of course!  You aren't a real man if you don't own a 1911 in .45, no?

• Like 1
Slightly on the original topic,

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/12/foghorn/rumor-leaked-pictures-of-rugers-forthcoming-american-pistol/

Looks like price is expected to be $575. I'll pass.

I'll just say this, for a 9mm full sized striker fired polymer frame pistol, if I can buy an H&K for the same price as a Ruger, I know what I'm getting. Edited by nightrunner
  • Like 1

Wow. Really? From what personal experience are you making this statement? My SR's are some of the finest handguns I've ever owned; accurate, reliable, slim, easy to conceal, and WAY better than ANY M&P handgun I've ever seen. And I've seen plenty, every day. The SR's outsell the M&P's by a huge margin in the shop. I've never had a problem talking a customer out of an M&P and into an SR series gun. Once they feel the grip and the trigger, it's pretty much over.

Really? What do they tell you they like better about it? So you are trying to “take them out of the M&P and putting them in an SR series”? Don’t you sell the M&P for about $100 more? I have nothing against the SR line; I own a SR1911. But we are talking about a comparison of a full size SR against a full size M&P correct?

I haven’t heard anything about the SR series in competition. How are they doing? Anyone here shoot one in completion? Are any PD’s using the SR series (Not that I think that means much; just curious)?

Wow. Really? From what personal experience are you making this statement? My SR's are some of the finest handguns I've ever owned; accurate, reliable, slim, easy to conceal, and WAY better than ANY M&P handgun I've ever seen. And I've seen plenty, every day. The SR's outsell the M&P's by a huge margin in the shop. I've never had a problem talking a customer out of an M&P and into an SR series gun. Once they feel the grip and the trigger, it's pretty much over.

My dad has an SR9 and I've spent a fair amount of time with it. Musicman touches on my thoughts below. The fit and finish is not on the same level as many others. I even think the XD's are far better.

The trigger on my dad's pistol was gritty and the position of the thumb safety gun my palm open when I went tried to rack the slide.

I feel that may be some personal bias showing through there, as honestly I have the same, but reversed. I have stated before I think the SR series guns aren't as well finished internally, showing rough machining, etc, and I feel the M&P grip is much more natural, while the gun is more aesthetically pleasing inside and out. I also hate that little bump/vertical ridge on the fingertips when holding an SR. I find the trigger on the 4-5 examples of the SRs I've shot to be nothing to write home about. I will definitely admit they are more consistent than M&P triggers which used to be all over the place. It seems Smith has both improved the design while tightened QC in the last couple years. However, I have always picked out specific M&Ps with good triggers from the get-go, while passing on some with too much grit or a heavier or inconsistent break. The SR wins on tactile reset, stock vs stock triggers.

It's funny how our bias changes our sales and our perception. I like the M&Ps, among others, and know many more shooters that have and love them vs SR series guns. Off hand I can think of 3 SR series owners in my regular circle of friends who have kept theirs (meaning they liked them enough not to dump them quickly) while I can name 8 at church alone that still have and love their M&Ps. I spend a lot of time at gun stores, and have spent time behind a counter as well. I definitely have not seen the "always buy an SR after holding an M&P" that you do. In fact, the reverse. Of course, I have to point out that that may be my bias coloring my perception. I am at least admitting that.

We all make our decisions based on our personal bias.

Tens of thousands of each make's models being sold prove that their designs are speaking to someone. For the sake of the folks cranking out the guns on the production floor, I hope this ugly bastage of a pistol speaks to plenty of folks. It is speaking to me... yelling, actually. Yelling "Run away!" Haha! Maybe it's speaking in tongues and will be interpreted differently by others.

I'd say the price is speaking to people more so than the design. I've also seen people point out the SR because it's "pretty"... While I admit they are good looking guns I'd rather have function over looks.

I need an M&P 10 for my collection, so I will give you half what you paid. Maybe you can trade the rest of your M&P collection in for a Glock.

Or not...smilielol5.gif

Lol! Well I got it for a smokin' deal, so you're gunna get a CRAZY good deal!!!

Well, at least I'll still be able to buy a collection of them there super fancy HiPoints! Thanks so much for your generous offer, and for saving me from that terrible .308 which has been flawless and super accurate! I don't know what I'd do without you!

But you do bring up some great points I never even thought about. Do any PDs use SR striker guns? Come to think of it, I've NEVER seen an SR at an IDPA match. (of course, I've only been to 4) I usually see about an even split of Glocks and M&Ps making the bulk of competition guns, I'd guess 2/3 altogether, the other 3rd being a mix of all kinds of stuff. Food for thought.

Really? What do they tell you they like better about it? So you are trying to “take them out of the M&P and putting them in an SR series”? Don’t you sell the M&P for about $100 more? I have nothing against the SR line; I own a SR1911. But we are talking about a comparison of a full size SR against a full size M&P correct?

I haven’t heard anything about the SR series in competition. How are they doing? Anyone here shoot one in completion? Are any PD’s using the SR series (Not that I think that means much; just curious)?

I don't do the IDPA shoots on Wednesday, we go to church, so I don't know what the different guys are running there.

And I'm not talking about the SR1911's. I think we can all agree that those are really good ones.

I have sold many SR9's and 45's to a lot of folks coming in looking for either Glocks or M&P's. Yes, price point helps. I had a guy in last week, wearing a Glock hat, shirt, and the "I'm ALL about Glock" attitude. He wanted a 43 BAD. I showed it to him, and he did all the inspection and said he'd take it. I said, "Before we do that, let me just show you one more thing." I handed him an LC9s. I explained it held one more round than the 43, and I wanted him to just try the trigger. He did the fondling, pulled the trigger, looked at me wide eyed, looked at the price tag, and said, "Uh... uh... I'll take that instead!"

There's nothing wrong with M&P's or Glocks or XD's OR Rugers. All are fine guns. I've never understood the outright hatred some folks exhibit for anything that isn't THEIR favorite brand. Some people are just "label ho's," as my wife says, lol, and they never look past the brand. Sometimes something outside of your favorite brand just might be a better fit for you; you just may never know it until someone takes the time to show you.

One of MY favorite 9's? Lol... my Canik TP9sa. Absolutely LOVE the way it fits ME.

• Like 3

Whittakers has them listed for $420.99 if anyone really wants one.

That's about what the SR9's sold for when they were newer, so the prediction that you should see them at or maybe slightly below $400 is probably accurate.

• Like 1

The initial ads are up for it, I suspect they had to bring them out a bit early due to the "leak" ...

http://ruger.com/products/rugerAmericanPistol/index.html

Well, it's NOT "hideous." Looks like it has a takedown lever ala SIG instead of the pushout pin of the current SR series; I kinda like that idea. Of course, the ad copy is stellar, lol. We'll see. I'd like to try one sometime.

• Like 1
Eye of the beholder and all, Steelharp, lol! The pics Ruger put out still look just as butt ugly as the other pics to me, haha!

I don't get all the "innovation" hype on this. What's new? Not a thing is mentioned. What is the "recoil reducing barrel cam?" Isn't it just a regular ol' barrel? Doesn't look like a Beretta rotating job.

No trigger pull required for take down. That's good. I wonder if they have a little pin to move like the M&P or something else.

If the money is the same as the SR, I'd take the SR over this thing any day based on looks alone. And I really don't like the SRs. Ah well. Edited by musicman

To those in Clarksville, TN Gun Country has the 9mm version as a rental and they'll give you 5 rounds and let you shoot it for free.

It was just posted on their Facebook.

Marketing at it's best...and that's how to sell a new product line...wonder how aggressive Ruger's going to get on going after a larger market share.

“The Ruger American Pistol”, MSRP exactly $10 more than the M&P, three palm swells. Looks like they have set their sights directly on the King of the hill. Good for them. We all win when the American gun companies start slugging it out.

King of the Hill? That's funny.

That's about what the SR9's sold for when they were newer, so the prediction that you should see them at or maybe slightly below $400 is probably accurate.

$400 is less than dealer cost. It could come down in the future, but that is very unlikely.