New Ruger American line of pistols forthcoming

musicman

Chris, do you like it better than your SR9's or is it too early to tell? Thanks for the review BTW.

I like everything about my sr9 better than this pistol. Everything except the am I safety. I have a habit of bumping into things and clicking the safety off. I shoot it better. And the trigger pull is more familiar to me. The trigger on the American is much nicer to pull but the long reset really does suck. The more I think about if, the more unhappy I am with that.

I gotta say, and Erik, you'll know that this means a lot coming from me, I won't be recommending this to anyone without some changes coming down the line.

I like everything about my sr9 better than this pistol. Everything except the am I safety. I have a habit of bumping into things and clicking the safety off. I shoot it better. And the trigger pull is more familiar to me. The trigger on the American is much nicer to pull but the long reset really does suck. The more I think about if, the more unhappy I am with that.

I gotta say, and Erik, you'll know that this means a lot coming from me, I won't be recommending this to anyone without some changes coming down the line.

You pretty much summed up what my thoughts to date are on the new Ruger pistol. I think everything glitch wise on it that concern me are going to be resolved but am also glad I hadn't planned on purchasing one any time soon. Insofar as the long trigger pull and long reset goes someone will have an aftermarket trigger out in no time at all. So I guess it depends on how quickly Ruger steps up and tweaks the design a bit.

Am I the only one who's wondering if some of these manufacturers ignore research and development? How can a firearm reach the manufacturing process with so many obvious flaws?

Well insofar as the Ruger American pistol goes the only real flaw as I see it at this time is the slide dropping when a magazine's vigorously slapped in to seat it. The longer trigger pull and reset is more of a learning the pistol issue and the complaints pertaining to shooters thumb knuckles are as well. 

But that aside you bring up a good point about new  firearms hitting the marketplace with problems that should have been noticed in product testing. I don't like it but it is what it is, look at cars and such, same thing.    

I dunno. I worked in manufacturing at a guitar company for a few years. As some ridiculously stoopid things came down for production nearly every one of us players/buyers of guitars knew immediately if it was stupid and going to be a flop. We spoke, it didn't matter. There was one or two people up top who thought it was a cool idea, and they were in charge. It would take a backlog of unsold inventory in the warehouse for about 6 months before they "heard" what we were saying. It happened over and over. I imagine that wasn't the only place where this happens.

To me, this ugly duckling seems like the pet project of one or two folks way up high, and by golly they're making this thing the way they want, everyone else be damned. I'm sure it's their attempt at the military contract, but the execution and design seems so bad that there's no way that many voices were part of the project. Or if there were, I'm sure many were simply ignored/silenced.