Just a Beginner

I am a new learner about different firearms for concealed carry. I do have a Springfield XD Mod. 2 9mm but am interested in a 40cal. My first choices seem to be the S&W M&P Shield 40 Ported Performance Center model, the Sig P-320 Compact, or the Walther PPQ M-2 in 40 caliber. Any thoughts are appreciated. - Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome.

I have a Shield 9, and a P320 compact in 9mm. Both are fine weapons, but totally different in terms of concealability. The Shield is very slim easier to conceal, but harder to shoot well with the short sight radius and somewhat heavy trigger. The P320 has a better trigger but is substantially larger. It's easier to shoot as well.

I would suggest visiting range where you can rent and try before you buy.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with the M&P being difficult to shoot. I was able to fire about 75 rounds of 9mm with the Shield and was not as proficient as with my XD. The ported performance center version seem to get higher ratings due to the ported barrel and improved trigger but I am still not sure it's the one for me. I like your idea of renting a pistol but have found Sig, Walther and H&K are not readily available. I'll keep looking. I do appreciate your comment.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and even the offer to fire one of the handguns. I live in the Lebanon, TN area so I will find a local range where they rent different handguns. I will definitely want to shoot anything before I buy. I am hearing a lot of mixed opinions about the Sig so I might move that one down on the priority list. I will also check out videos by hickock45. I have heard he reviews quite a few guns. - Thanks again all!

Thanks to everyone for their comments and even the offer to fire one of the handguns. I live in the Lebanon, TN area so I will find a local range where they rent different handguns. I will definitely want to shoot anything before I buy. I am hearing a lot of mixed opinions about the Sig so I might move that one down on the priority list. I will also check out videos by hickock45. I have heard he reviews quite a few guns. - Thanks again all!

Here ya go

http://thegunroomshootingrange.com/handgun-rentals/1757346