Glock 27 or ruger sr9c

bayouvol

Ya know, not for nothing....

In a previous life I was the technical whiz-kid at a mid-sized printing company. We handled several national accounts, one was a large spring-water bottling company you've all heard of. Every couple years, they'd threaten our contract w/ them, we'd wiggle, jump, give something up, and they would sign on for another 3 years. ONE of these instances required me going out to NYC (White Plains, actually), to install a remote proofing device and computer on the end of an ISDN Line so the sales guy could get his proofs same day vs. waiting for FedEx.

He took me to dinner that night and was talking w/ him about the account, work, life, etc., and he shared w/ me that these exercises were all just for show (and to get something out of their supplier - our employer). He let me in on a little secret about the account. You see, the Salesman's wife, and the President of this Spring-Water Bottling Company's wife, were Sorority Sisters from college, and the guy liked to golf at this one country club ($225k annual membership!) So long as my employer paid for the salesman to have membership at this club (and he took the guy golfing while the wive's had brunch on Saturday...), the account wasn't going anywhere.

Last I worked there, 10+ years ago, that was a $20 million dollar account annually.

Behold the Power of the P gentlemen!

It's not always about money. Sometimes the money is just for show. ;)

- K

• Like 1

To my recollection, I have never shot Glock 27.  I have owned and shot other Glocks, and they are fine pistols.  I would not knock anyone who carries one.  However, I carry an SR9c daily.  I have never had an issue from it.  It fits my hand well, I can shoot it well, and it conceals well.  I like it well enough that I can say, without reservation, that I would never trade my SR9c for a Glock.  If I were given a Glock and did not have an SR9c, knowing what I know now, I would sell it to buy a Ruger. 

As far as the military / LEO argument, there are many reasons why Glock is so widely used, and again, I am not going to knock Glock.  However, I would not let that alone persuade me one way or the other.  To me, that is akin to saying, "The majority of LEOs have Dodges for patrol cars, so my next vehicle is going to be a dodge.  They must be the best for the job."  

They are both reliable guns; pick which ever fits you and your needs the best.

As an aside, this response was very annoying to type.  My computer (Surface) autocorrects Glock to Block and Ruger to Roger. 

• Like 1

I bet you'd be shocked at the prices on governmental bulk orders.

If accurate, the Knoxville News-Sentinel reported on the Sig P220 for Knoxville maybe 2-3 years ago, wasn't too far off from retail, but nonetheless what I couldn't buy for. 

There is a reason that 65% of US LEO uses Glock.  Again not bashing Ruger whatsoever!  Maybe the use by LEO is not a adequate measuring stick for everyone, but it is for me when considering EDC, CCW, etc. 

Data source

Glock 65%  https://us.glock.com/products/sector/law-enforcement

Most departments force their officers to carry whatever they decide on as a department. So the LEO has no choice in the matter. I have a friend that works for City of Knoxville and they were forced to change from a Glock 22 to a Sig .45 cal. There were many that wanted to stay with the Glock but again it wasn't their choice. I said all that to say this, the data is skewed because the LEOs wouldn't always choose a Glock. 

the data is skewed because the LEOs wouldn't always choose a Glock.

The data is skewed because it doesn’t exist. The only way to check it would be to know what all departments in the country allow their Officers to carry, and what they are actually carrying. S&W, Sig and Glock could probably come pretty close to establishing those numbers by making the numbers public; but that won’t happen. So they can all claim whatever number they want.

If it matters to someone what guns cops carry; that information is easy to get.

I bet you'd be shocked at the prices on governmental bulk orders.

My agency pays more than $700 a piece for Sig handguns. There is a sticky at the top of this section that list many of the departments in TN. I try to maintain it with accurate and current information. Based on the information that gets supplied to me Glock has more than 50% of the TN LE market.

I miss the days of carrying a Glock for many reasons. Edited by Patton