New Year's Resolutions

TMF

Anyone doing it this year?  I thought it might be fun to have a New Year's resolution thread and resurrect it this time next year to see how we did.  Mine is to run a marathon.  I've done it before, but I'm not as hard as I used to be.  I figured I'd set a goal like that so I can get back to feeling a little younger.

Who else has some self improvement planned in 2016?

I plan to start working out/weightlifting. I have wanted to for a while but need to actually start. I have always worked physically demanding jobs but never touched a set of weights in my life. May end up hurting myself from bad technique who knows.

And not this year, but year after next (have to wait to top out and make enough money to do work and school) I plan to go back to school at MTSU and get my Bachelors in Mechanical engineering, won't be easy working full time plus school but easy never got anybody anywhere anyways. Edited by nightrunner
  • Like 2

I plan to start working out/weightlifting. I have wanted to for a while but need to actually start. I have always worked physically demanding jobs but never touched a set of weights in my life. May end up hurting myself from bad technique who knows.

Just do really low weight, like 50%, for the first couple of weeks to get your form down and muscles used to it.  Whenever introducing myself to a new exercise or am coming off an injury, I take it real easy to start and go from there.

• Like 1
50% of what? I haven't been around weights and gyms/lifting either, probably don't know what most of the jargon is.

I don't plan on going to a gym just get free weights and a bench and Dumbbells and start at home. I plan on looking online and YouTube to see what some good ways to work the different muscle groups are.

I'm 6'5" 250lbs now, mostly like to lean out first then gain muscle mass. Just want to be in better physical shape.

50% of what?

50% of what you can do sets of 8-12 repetitions with.  I mean, that's a general estimation.  The idea is to ease into it rather than jumping right in at the max weight you can do a set with.  With lower weight to start you aren't risking injury by bad form or overdoing it.  A week or two with steadily increasing weight so you can really work on the proper form to do the exercises correctly and without injury is the point.  I see guys lifting with bad form all the time, and it's probably because they never did it at the lower weight to start in order to really focus on the exercise.  The result is not working the target muscle group properly and risk of injury.

50% of what you can do sets of 8-12 repetitions with. I mean, that's a general estimation. The idea is to ease into it rather than jumping right in at the max weight you can do a set with. With lower weight to start you aren't risking injury by bad form or overdoing it. A week or two with steadily increasing weight so you can really work on the proper form to do the exercises correctly and without injury is the point. I see guys lifting with bad form all the time, and it's probably because they never did it at the lower weight to start in order to really focus on the exercise. The result is not working the target muscle group properly and risk of injury.

Got it, Thanks for the tips.

And not this year, but year after next (have to wait to top out and make enough money to do work and school) I plan to go back to school at MTSU and get my Bachelors in Mechanical engineering, won't be easy working full time plus school but easy never got anybody anywhere anyways.

I started this in August. Here's my advice. Find some place with a trainer who can monitor your form. Even at low weight, I was doing things that would have gotten me injured. Ask around. I go to Franklin Strength in Cool Springs just south of Nashville. I have to drive 40 minutes to get there, but the low cost ($599/year) and quality of training make it worth the drive for me. Once someone (who is knowledgeable) observes you and corrects what you're doing wrong, then you can progress to working out on your own. I'd avoid Crossfit. There's too much emphasis on speed. Speed sacrifices form. There are lots of fitness clubs springing up now so you should be able to find one.  

Oh, for example, the things that can hurt you aren't just the lift. You can just as easily hurt yourself setting the bars down!

Edited by jgradyc

50% of what? I haven't been around weights and gyms/lifting either, probably don't know what most of the jargon is.

I don't plan on going to a gym just get free weights and a bench and Dumbbells and start at home. I plan on looking online and YouTube to see what some good ways to work the different muscle groups are.

I'm 6'5" 250lbs now, mostly like to lean out first then gain muscle mass. Just want to be in better physical shape.

When I was working in Afghanistan, I got back into working out in a big way.  Time and facilities were there for me, so I took advantage of it.  I used this website to study a good bit and put together a workout plan.  Very easily laid out and the .gif's for examples on form are great.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

• Like 2
If you haven't recently, PLEASE get a check-up with your doc before you start any serious exercise. A friend of mine didn't and died of a heart attack while exercising with his family. He was 34.

If you haven't done any exercising in a long time, the best thing to start with is simply walking. Walk at a brisk pace for 30 mins or so. Do that 5x per week for a few weeks before you dive off into anything serious (P-90X, etc).
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

I crushed my 2015 resolution of working out 5 days a week.  These days, if I count the 30 minutes of walking I do last thing before bed at night, I get a workout everyday.

I had a surfing injury this year that's really put a damper on the last half of my year.  PT is making it better, but I've got a ways to go to get my full range of motion back in my shoulder.  My immediate goal is to get this shoulder back to where it was in June of this year.  

Or,  maybe I'll just admit that I can't top Johnny Cash's resolutions and stick to what works:

6140023418_0d815772f0_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Continue to lose weight (lost 85 pounds this year) and reach my goal weight by August 31.  Purchase some land to build a retirement cabin/home with a gun room.  Spend less time stressing with work and more time enjoying the blessings of each day.

• Like 2