TN animal abuse registry

Caster

While I get the intent, I can't see how this is a good thing overall.  The address listing especially.  That's inviting some kind of vigilante justice.

The child sex offender registry I understand as a matter of common sense to allow parents to be informed about dangers in their immediate area.  The need in public interest is there.  But it's not like you let your dog run around the streets with other dogs to play during the day.  This is just public humiliation, and I'm wondering if it would survive a challenge under the Eighth Amendment.

• Like 1
We got people starving and people dying. Humans.

Yet waste resources on a list more or less meant for humiliation? Especially on something subjective like animal "cruelty" there is a difference between taking a chainsaw to a puppy or kicking one because he snapped at you.

Stuff like this is a waste of time, and meant to pander to the bleeding hearts. They get on message boards and CNN comments sections and want to save Fido from being chained because he dropped a deuce in the house and call for the murder of "animal abusers"

I am a dog owner and I like animals and whatever but I do not agree with this. Everyone wants a list and registry. When will it stop? Gun owner registry with names and addresses? Ammo? Diesel trucks? Republican voters?

Child predators and sexual predators yes I agree with because I have a daugther - but I dont care if my neighbor beats his dog, he isnt going to come to my house or follow my dog around to beat him.

So much stupid

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk Edited by CommsNBombs
  • Like 1

While I get the intent, I can't see how this is a good thing overall. The address listing especially. That's inviting some kind of vigilante justice.

The child sex offender registry I understand as a matter of common sense to allow parents to be informed about dangers in their immediate area. The need in public interest is there. But it's not like you let your dog run around the streets with other dogs to play during the day. This is just public humiliation, and I'm wondering if it would survive a challenge under the Eighth Amendment.

Perhaps having their address goes too far, if that's the plan. However, criminal convictions are a matter of public record. I think it should be this easy to look up any criminal, not just animal abusers. I realize that may be labor intensive to create and maintain an online database, so at least we can keep one on the biggest scumbags.

We got people starving and people dying. Humans.

Yet waste resources on a list more or less meant for humiliation? Especially on something subjective like animal "cruelty" there is a difference between taking a chainsaw to a puppy or kicking one because he snapped at you.

Stuff like this is a waste of time, and meant to pander to the bleeding hearts. They got on message boards and CNN comments section and want to save Fido from being chained becuase he drop a duece in the house and call for the murder of "animal abusers"

I am a dog owner and I like animals and whatever but I do not agree with this. Everyone wants a list and registry. When will it stop? Gun owner registry with names and addresses? Ammo? Diesel trucks? Republican voters?

Child predators and sexual predators yes I agree with because I have a daugther - but I dont care if my neighbor beats his dog, he isnt going to come to my house or follow my dog around to beat him.

So much stupid

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

This is for felony animal cruelty, not just kicking a puppy. I know the difference, because I had my neighbor convicted, but it was only a misdemeanor. You have to cross one hell of a scumbag line to get convicted of felony animal abuse.

Comparing that to registries of gun owners or political parties isn't even in the same ballpark. Not even the same sport. These are people who were convicted of a felony. That's a big deal, and a matter of public record. If you commit a felony, I have a right to know. This just makes it easier to access the information.
  • Like 1

Perhaps having their address goes too far, if that's the plan. However, criminal convictions are a matter of public record. I think it should be this easy to look up any criminal, not just animal abusers. I realize that may be labor intensive to create and maintain an online database, so at least we can keep one on the biggest scumbags.

Big difference between public record where you have to put in a modicum of research, and easily searchable website like they set up.  The former is designed to be a matter of record while the other is meant to be queried by the public with ease.  If this gets challenged, intent will be the focus of if it's out of bounds with the 8th.

Big difference between public record where you have to put in a modicum of research, and easily searchable website like they set up. The former is designed to be a matter of record while the other is meant to be queried by the public with ease. If this gets challenged, intent will be the focus of if it's out of bounds with the 8th.

Why? Shouldn't public records be easy to search? This isn't 1970. So many other public documents from every level of government are archived and searchable online. Why should criminal convictions be different? Because the crime they were convicted of? That's silly. Why on earth would it matter?
I'm all for the address AND humiliation. Act like a peice of :poop: get treated like a peice of :poop:

I hold most animals I come into contact with in greater esteem than 99% of the humans on this planet. Animals aren't the virus that strangles the life out of this world. It's humans.

If having your address posted and pride assaulted is a problem for anyone, there's a simple solution; don't abuse animals. Amazingly simple huh?
  • Like 8

This is for felony animal cruelty, not just kicking a puppy. I know the difference, because I had my neighbor convicted, but it was only a misdemeanor. You have to cross one hell of a scumbag line to get convicted of felony animal abuse.

Comparing that to registries of gun owners or political parties isn't even in the same ballpark. Not even the same sport. These are people who were convicted of a felony. That's a big deal, and a matter of public record. If you commit a felony, I have a right to know. This just makes it easier to access the information.

I think making registries like this and shaming people perpetuates the industrial prison complex and vindictive deameanor lots of people have.

John Doe commits felony puppy immolation or murder, and really wants to straigthen himself out and become a better citizen but we stick his likeness and address online so every muldoon can harrass him...not sure how that is fair to someone who otherwise had already been fined and/or sentenced.

Yes it is wrong what they do but how can you expect people to want to right their wrongs if you keep throwing an albatross around their necks?

I think making registries like this and shaming people perpetuates the industrial prison complex and vindictive deameanor lots of people have.

John Doe commits felony puppy immolation or murder, and really wants to straigthen himself out and become a better citizen but we stick his likeness and address online so every muldoon can harrass him...not sure how that is fair to someone who otherwise had already been fined and/or sentenced.

Yes it is wrong what they do but how can you expect people to want to right their wrongs if you keep throwing an albatross around their necks?

It's not shaming; they are felons. That is a matter of public record. A registry doesn't make them more or less of a felon, nor does it magically free up information that is secret or compartmented. Every person has access to criminal records, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with making those records more convenient for the public to access.

As for their life, I don't care. Not one bit. If you're convicted of a felony, especially if the crime was torturing a defenseless creature, you get to pay the consequences. There isn't an ounce of empathy toward people who do that. They made their bed and now they have to lie in it.
  • Like 1

People rarely if ever change. They only live in fear of retribution and so, restrain their behavior. Micheal Vick has no more love for dogs than before he got caught. The truth of rehabilitation is fear.
  • Like 2

Why? Shouldn't public records be easy to search? This isn't 1970. So many other public documents from every level of government are archived and searchable online. Why should criminal convictions be different? Because the crime they were convicted of? That's silly. Why on earth would it matter?

One conviction database, where you can enter a name and get search results, I can get behind.  Separate "look at what they did" ones based on moral outrage, not so much.

• Like 2

One conviction database, where you can enter a name and get search results, I can get behind. Separate "look at what they did" ones based on moral outrage, not so much.

Fair enough. My attitude something along the lines of "f*** them", so I don't have an issue with it. If it were innocent people I would think differently. They're felons, and what happens to them is not something I care about. I wouldn't piss in their mouth if their teeth were on fire.
  • Like 1
Do not get me wrong I am not defending people's actions - you gotta have something wired wrong to go out in cold blood and set a dog on fire, or what have you.

Listing photos and addresses is a bit much.

Just make on database and be done with it. Isnt robbery or grand larceny or aggravated assault just as bad?

• Like 1

Fair enough. My attitude something along the lines of "f*** them", so I don't have an issue with it. If it were innocent people I would think differently. They're felons, and what happens to them is not something I care about. I wouldn't piss in their mouth if their teeth were on fire.

Oh, believe me...I could not care less about someone so sick and twisted as to be convicted of felony level animal abuse.  They're stealing nitrogen & oxygen that could be better taken by the animals they abused on top of their crimes as far as I'm concerned.

It's what a precedent like this can bring about once the Social Justice Warrior crowd can leverage it to their wants that has me shaking my head.  Bad laws often start against those we hate the most because "they deserve it" before they are turned against the public at large.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

Do not get me wrong I am not defending people's actions - you gotta have something wired wrong to go out in cold blood and set a dog on fire, or what have you.

Listing photos and addresses is a bit much.

Just make on database and be done with it. Isnt robbery or grand larceny or aggravated assault just as bad?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they got around to those folks too. Of course, I have some pretty radical ideas on what should be done with violent offenders, and it isn't warm and cuddly.

Oh, believe me...I could not care less about someone so sick and twisted as to be convicted of felony level animal abuse. They're stealing nitrogen & oxygen that could be better taken by the animals they abused on top of their crimes as far as I'm concerned.

It's what a precedent like this can bring about once the Social Justice Warrior crowd can leverage it to their wants that has me shaking my head. Bad laws often start against those we hate the most because "they deserve it" before they are turned against the public at large.

I get what you're saying, I just don't see the potential for slippery slope here. The only issue is listing their address. Not because I care about the safety of the felon, but if something does happen, they will sue the state and get a payday.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they got around to those folks too. Of course, I have some pretty radical ideas on what should be done with violent offenders, and it isn't warm and cuddly.

I am with you man, if you want to rape, murder and steal a 9mm slug in the head is better than paying for 3 hots and a cot for 20+ years for someone.

However - the justice system isnt infallible, and the public does not have the guts for it. Itd be really bad if some innocent people got convicted and executed.

Wish we could be as tough on our enemies as we can be on our own citizens, regardless of what wrong they committed

I could vote yes to that. Felony conviction costs a person many of their rights anyway. Make it all public for anyone to see. Rights and privacy should be for law abiding citizens only which only leads us to a greater point; making penalties for laws already in the books MUCH more severe.
  • Like 1

The same thing could be said of gun control (they are doing it, get over it) ... that is not a good argument to convince me that something is the right thing to do.

I am ok with this so long as

- anyone wrongfully on the list that wins a lawsuit takes the money from the creators of this law directly, not public coffers, when they win millions and

- anyone finding that the list can still be accessed via web historical programs and archives and such after their time has aged off is similar to #1  ... that is, someone can sue for historical data being kept past their punishment period the lawmakers pay for the damages awarded directly not from public funds.

Promise me that, and I will be all for it.

Id rather see a list of rapists though, at the same level of detail.  

my conditions are of course impossible.   The point is, its a way to throw away tax payer money in lawsuits the second they screw it up, and that will happen within a month of it going live.  

Edited by Jonnin