Gun Auction, Monroe County Sheriffs Dept Feb 13th 10am

I highly likely can't go, but will try if I can.  Appears to be some good pieces!  But be warned my friend, anytime the general public goes to a gun auction, its crazy bidding + house charge + tax + tics, and not sure if the FFL transfer charges a fee! 

Link to the pictures:

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=2626777&feed=129&gid=0&category=0&zip=&kwd=

Link to more detail:

http://c21howerealty.com/pages/east_tennessee_real_estate_auction_listings.htm?az_feed_pos=www.auctionzip.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fauctionview.cgi%3Flid%3D2626777%26feed%3D129%26group%3D0%26state%3D%26kwd%3D%26zip%3D%26category%3D0%26nojava%3D0

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/auction_zpsohm1uaoo.jpg.html]auction_zpsohm1uaoo.jpg[/URL]

In looking at the pics, they have nice guns on there - not the Saturday night special types I would expect from a law enforcement auction. I wonder how they got them.

i was wondering the same thing, I do see a couple on there I would love to own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last one I went to was in McMinn county a few years back, I assumed some of these firearms people previously owned, but could not prove ownership due to theft or was a confiscated heirloom..............hence why I saw some prices 2x and 3x what one could buy at walmart or if discontinued on GB.  I did see a NEF 12 ga single shot fetch $225+10% buyers premium+9.75% sales tax + $10 Tics = $281 and some change OTD.  That had to be a heirloom or a daddy's gun, or had to be some of the most ignorant gun people around.  There were some Raven 25 that fetched similar pricing too.

Some of the nicer and high end guns were very close to a deal, but the extra charges made them less attractive.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the more advertised the auction the worse the madness is.

The best one I ever went to was the least advertised and there was still a hoard of people.

After reading the "terms" I usually do the math and move on. Such as it is with this one.

Lots of luck to those that attend. Definitely some good looking pieces.

I bought a couple guns on an local online only auction this year. The were from the Overton County sheriffs dept, and apparently their evidence locker is in a swamp. The S&W 3" m36 and Rem 870 were both basically unfired, but pretty badly rusted. Who knew cops didn't clean and oil firearms before tagging and tossing?  Look before you bid.

Update post auction report. 

Well, as you figured it was a mad house.  I estimate 1000+ people there if not more.  I did bid on several items that I went after, but none came home with me.  There were a few deals, but 90% were no where close to deals.  My assessment:

• If the actual value of the gun was <$300, it went about 2-3x its value.
  • If the actual value of the gun was between $300 to $600, it went for what was worth.
  • If the actual value was greater than $600, there were deals to be found.

I seen hoards of 25 autos (Lorcins, Davis, etc.) go close to $200+10%+$20.

Seen many North America Arms 22 fetch $250+

I seen many NEF 20, 12, etc. go for $175+

I seen many Marlins, Glenfileds, etc. 22LR fetch +$200

I seen many S&W 38 and 357 fetch in the $400-$600 range.

I seen a couple of Ruger Blackhawks fetch $475+

Deals that I witnessed

I seen a MAK90 that was mis-labeld as just a 7.62 rifle in great shape fetch $550.  I am not a fan of the AK platform, and I don't flip guns.

I seen several SKS fetch ~$300

I seen (which I should have bought) a Colt 1911 I think with the s/n a 1918 mfg fetch $575.  What spooked me, but I still kick myself for not buying, it had a threaded barrel with a screwed on compensator, it had pearl grips (no biggy), and I suspect it had a trigger job.  The bluing was about 50%, and more on the white side, but if looked up the s/n right, then it indeed was 1918 per Colt's s/n website. 

I seen a Winchester M1 Carbine with a broke stock, duct tape, and rusty barrel fetch $775+

If there are any gun dealers wandering about their business model, let me tell you, go to auction model.  Open say one day every other month, advertise gun auction to the general public, auction the guns, add 10% premium after the auction + $20 processing fee (less $10 for the TICS), and you will make serious money with less overhead!  I swear auctions bring out the crazies of the crazies when it comes to guns.

Edited by runco

Update post auction report. 

Well, as you figured it was a mad house.  I estimate 1000+ people there if not more.  I did big on several items that I sent after, but none came home with me.  There were a few deals, but 90% were no where close to deals.  My assessment:

• If the actual value of the gun was <$300, it went about 2-3x its value.
  • If the actual value of the gun was between $300 to $600, it went for what was worth.
  • If the actual value was greater than $600, there were deals to be found.

I seen hoards of 25 autos (Lorcins, Davis, etc.) go close to $200+10%+$20.

Seen many North America Arms 22 fetch $250+

I seen many NEF 20, 12, etc. go for $175+

I seen many Marlins, Glenfileds, etc. 22LR fetch +$200

I seen many S&W 38 and 357 fetch in the $400-$600 range.

I seen a couple of Ruger Blackhawks fetch $475+

Deals that I witnessed

I seen a MAK90 that was mis-labeld as just a 7.62 rifle in great shape fetch $550.  I am not a fan of the AK platform, and I don't flip guns.

I seen several SKS fetch ~$300

I seen (which I should have bought) a Colt 1911 I think with the s/n a 1918 mfg fetch $575.  What spooked me, but I still kick myself for not buying, it had a threaded barrel with a screwed on compensator, it had pearl grips (no biggy), and I suspect it had a trigger job.  The bluing was about 50%, and more on the white side, but if looked up the s/n right, then it indeed was 1918 per Colt's s/n website. 

I seen a Winchester M1 Carbine with a broke stock, duct tape, and rusty barrel fetch $775+

If there are any gun dealers wandering about their business model, let me tell you, go to auction model.  Open say one day every other month, advertise gun auction to the general public, auction the guns, add 10% premium after the auction + $20 processing fee (less $10 for the TICS), and you will make serious money with less overhead!  I swear auctions bring out the crazies of the crazies when it comes to guns.

I saw.  :P

• Like 3

So you were there, did you agree with my assessment!  If you were there, were you able to get a chair or did you have to stand the whole time.

TDR was not there (that I'm aware of).  He was giving you the business as you did not seen anything, you SAW it!

• Like 1

Before this posting fades away into the doldrums of all short lived postings, have you ever been to an acution that had a opening prayer, and a pledge allegiance to the flag?  This one did.  The local Sheriff is up for election this year (Sheriff Tommy Jones).  He welcomed everyone for attending, and made announcement his dept was very glad he could bring about this auction.  Very proud we live in a land where we do have freedom, and can exercise our right as citizens to purchase and own firearms.  Finally, he said he was glad he had the opporutunity to make available these guns to the people. 

BTW, I met the Sheriff for the first time that morning.  I asked him to tell me why I should vote for him, and for the next 5 minutes he did a very good job explaining while others waiting on him for something.  He did leave me with a impression to be worthy of my vote.  He also told me he still had about has many firearms yet to be auctioned, but those were not cleared to be turned loose. 

Since I had the Sheriff's ear, the only complaint I had about the auction:  Wipe down those rusty guns with oil every now and then.  Your evidence locker must be in a flooded basement or something.  He smiled and said a few were.  One thing I forgot to ask, could he sign a future form 4 for me.  :)

I've had this experience several times at auctions in general and gun auctions in particular. Cheap stuff goes high and high end stuff goes cheap or at least fair. Local pawn shop here has been running an annual gun auction to blow out his guns. He buys all year long and holds it til then rather than putting it in the showcase. 

Got a note today about an online only gun auction out of cookeville. Starts tomorrow. Lots of cheap junk, guess that's the preferred stuff of Putnam county meth heads. A few nice pieces including one class 3 shotgun. Never paid attention to an online only auction. Might be worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

See if you can find gun ignorance or plain stupidity and politics in this story.  BTW, local sheriff up for reelection this year with Mar 1 just a few days away:

http://www.local8now.com/content/news/Monroe-Co-Sheriff-sells-firearms-without-serial-numbers-to-local-gun-shop-370175571.html

Monroe Co. Sheriff sells firearms without serial numbers to local gun shop

Monroe Co. Sheriff sells firearms without serial numbers to local gun shop

By Lauren Davis | 

It's election time and the mud is slinging. A local gun store admits to buying guns without serial numbers. And they say the Monroe County Sheriff is the one who sold them.

C48CA1D97AD24F8ABF0DE3B38339E9FB.jpg

Ray Kough with self defense solutions shows me parts of four guns that he bought from Sheriff Tommy Jones. The guns are all shotguns, and they came from the evidence locker at the sheriff's office.

We obtained a check for 200 dollars that Self Defense Solutions wrote to the Monroe County Sheriff's department for the guns. Ray Kough says, "They weren't going to be resold. We just wanted them for guns and the other parts were given back to the sheriff's office to be destroyed."

Self Defense Solutions is owned and operated by reserve deputies with the county. A person who used to work for the sheriff's office who was laid off last June, says this is unethical at the least. He says, "They're on a buddy system and they'll do anything to help out their buddy. That's what they're going to do."

We asked Self Defense Solutions if this is the first time they purchased guns from the sheriff's office. Ray Kough says, "This was actually uh one time that we did it."

That doesn't matter to the former sheriff employee. He says, "I'd like to see him prosecuted. There isn't gray area when it comes to law."

We talked to the sheriff and he tells Local 8 he had a court order to sell those particular guns without a serial number.

FYI Colt did not make a SS MK III. I've run into this with several auctions of nickel guns stating they were stainless. Regardless I have a two inch MK III and it shoots very good and balances in my hand well. Might go if the weather is good for a country drive.

cheers,

tad

Agree about 1968 and I didn't see any receivers in that picture, did you?  Barrels and stocks don't require s/n even post 1968. 

I say the real story, a gun store about 8 miles up the street was awarded the FFL transfer price @ $20 per gun regardless of if the buyer bought 1 or 10 guns.  There were roughly 275 guns sold, so that is roughly $5500, at minmum they kept 1/2 that amount for the 4473 paperwork stuff.  Not too bad a rake.  So this gun shop who is owner by former sheriff's dept employees probably had multiple motivations to contact the Knoxville newstation just a few days before election time. 

• 1 month later...

OK, the auction is over, the auctioneer, made a bundle, the gun shop of choice made a bundle, now how big was the bundle that Monrow county made and where is it going?

Edited by Ray Z

Got a note today about an online only gun auction out of cookeville. Starts tomorrow. Lots of cheap junk, guess that's the preferred stuff of Putnam county meth heads. A few nice pieces including one class 3 shotgun. Never paid attention to an online only auction. Might be worth watching.

While I can't speak for the Putnam County Meth Heads Association, I can tell you they aren't the preferred junk of the law abiding citizens here. Also, for what it's worth, there was a recently posting of the 50 safest cities in Tennessee and Cookeville (the county seat of Putnam County) made the top 20. :)

Edit: I don't live in Cookeville nor Putnam county. But we do have a Cookeville address. I've seen way less crime here than I did in my 14 years of Nashville. So I'm sorry, but I feel the need to defend it, despite the drug users. Because 1 look at WKRN this morning and the top 5 stories are murders and shootings all over north and east Nashville and Madison too. Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500

While I can't speak for the Putnam County Meth Heads Association, I can tell you they aren't the preferred junk of the law abiding citizens here. Also, for what it's worth, there was a recently posting of the 50 safest cities in Tennessee and Cookeville (the county seat of Putnam County) made the top 20. :)

Edit: I don't live in Cookeville nor Putnam county. But we do have a Cookeville address. I've seen way less crime here than I did in my 14 years of Nashville. So I'm sorry, but I feel the need to defend it, despite the drug users. Because 1 look at WKRN this morning and the top 5 stories are murders and shootings all over north and east Nashville and Madison too.

Clarksville used to be like that, now you hear about shootings and other crimes left and right.  Maybe those crimes just didn't make the news?  Those guns had to come from somewhere.