Climbing treestands?

I have a summit SS. It's great as far as climbing stands go, but I really don't like it, because it's a climber. I hunt public land pretty exclusively or travel to WV to hunt family land so that limits me to a climber. If I ever get a lease or my own property the climber won't get used.
Another API owner here. I'm 50 plus years old, 6 ft plus tall and weigh 250 plus a couple. I don't exercise like I used to but I can be get up and down tree with the best of them and sit in the thing all day and love it. I don't hunt nearly as much as I used to and the only time I use this one is an annual trip up to Wisconsin for archery season. Since it's used very little I'm not in the market for a new one but judging by interwebs searches and opinions here I'm quite sure Summit is where my money would be if purchased another.

Thanks for the input....and the warnings. I'm still in the thinking stage. I hunted from the ground this year and a portable chair. I did use a couple of the clubs ladder stands and they are really nice to, just not portable. The lease I'm on is pretty thick down low. I really need to get about 10 or 12 ft or so to get above it. A few of the guys on th lease I'm on are close to my age and use the Summits which seems to be extremely popular. If I get one that will probably be the brand I get. So far I like the Triton the best. I've got a long time to think on it. Again,  I really appreciate all of the input. Thanks!

I'm another Summit Viper owner.  Haven't put it in a tree in 10 years.  In that time I've hunted exclusively from the ground in a camp chair.  It's so much easier.  Easier to carry in, I don't have too mess with a harness, I don't have to find a suitable tree, and I don't have to worry about falling.  I do hunt out of ground blinds done but prefer just a camp chair. And I kill plenty of deer by the way.

I use a Summit Viper SD.

I love it. It's easy to pack in and out, comfy and stable. I sat in mine this evening. I can sleep in it real easy too :)

For bowhunting, I adjust the seat high so that the bar is not in my way. For gun hunting, I adjust the seat to hang lower so that I can use the bar for a shooting rest. It's a great stand.

I got a Hunter Safety Sytem lightweight safety harness to use instead of the one that came with it. Although, the one provided is not that bad. Just attach the safety harness from the moment you leave the ground.
I have both a Summit and an API. The Summit is the only one I will carry any distance. The Summit wins in the weight category and set up. The only reason I use the API is because of the size. It's the biggest stand I have and like the ability to move around in it, but if the tree is very far away the Summit gets put in the vehicle. Edited by Howler
Summit Goliath if I don't have to carry it too far.
Lone Wolf hand climber if I'm going in a mile or four.

The Summit I modified with a Hazmore Silent Seat (sheds a pound & much quieter) & I can sit in that big bastard all day long! I've probably spent as much time in it asleep as I have awake.

The Lone Wolf packs up to about the thickness & weight of a postage stamp, but it's a 4 hour stand, maximum (& preferably less)

I LOVE carrying the lone wolf, I LOVE sitting in the summit.
  • 1 month later...

I have a summit viper that's several years old. It's a steel version so it's heavy. I'm considering a new one for next year and came across these guys: http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/contact.asp
They look pretty reasonable and are made in Tennessee.

I have a tree walker. It is heavy on the back and big. Once you r up it is super stable and comfortable but as I get older I may need to go back to something a little lighter.
If I remember right, tree walker was one of only 2 climbers still made in the USA. A big reason I went with it.