Talk me into or out of a shield

broox

Every month, I fixate on a different firearm. Last month, it was an AK with magpul trim, but that desire went unfulfilled and has now passed. This month it is a 9mm shield with no manual safety. My main carry gun is a xd subcompact in 9mm. I would like to try a singlestack, merely for comfort/ease of carry. Thoughts or suggestions?

For what it's worth, I've owned both and prefer the shield. It's much thinner and carries better (for me).Both are excellent and I shoot both very well. Reliability is great on both -  but for the size, weight and bulk difference the Shield is my choice. 

Also capacity difference is minimal as I bought two of these mag-guts kits to increase my mag capacity to 8+1 and 9 +1

http://magguts.com/shop/smith-wesson/smith-wesson-shield

Edited by polecat
  • Like 2

Go and handle a Shield and a Glock 43 at a gun shop. I have both . Both work great for me . For me the Glock 43 is smaller and more thinner since it doesnt have the take-down lever sticking outwards. I pick the Glock 43 .

You can't go wrong with either.

I will add this : Take a Shield or a Glock 43 . put each of them in an IWB holster and you wont even know they are there. I carry each of mine in an Alien Gear IWB holster and I have to check just to make sure they are they. They are each great guns . Mine eat factory ammo and my own reloads like candy .

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1
If you think you want it and can afford it, buy it. I've never had buyers remorse after purchasing a firearm. Do I have firearms I've never shot because I didn't really need it, yes but no remorse.

Edit: Added the afford part. Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Like 1

I have a 3.3" barrel XDs9 and can't find anything negative to say about it and have seriously looked at both the Shield and Glock 43 to see if they are significantly better. Size wise the 43 is fractionaly better, grip comofrt wise the Shield is fractionally better. Most likely I'll pick up a G-43 for this summer and a 4" barrel XDs45 for next winter. For daily carry I want a trim, slim pistol, not a double colum mag thickness pistol. Thats the beauty of the Shield/43/XDs9 etc. The biggest thing the Shield has going for it right now is its price.

For what it's worth, I've owned both and prefer the shield. It's much thinner and carries better (for me).Both are excellent and I shoot both very well. Reliability is great on both -  but for the size, weight and bulk difference the Shield is my choice. 

Also capacity difference is minimal as I bought two of these mag-guts kits to increase my mag capacity to 8+1 and 9 +1

I didn't know these existed, thanks for the link.

I didn't know these existed, thanks for the link.

Ditto! There are a few on the way to my house now. ;-)

They always leave us 40 guys out. They must figure with the shear devastation of the mighty 40; we don’t need any extra rounds.

biggrin.gif
  • Like 3

The magguts looks intriguing...please post back as to the reliability/feeding when you guys have the opportunity. 

I own a box-stock 9mm Shield and find it an incredibly easy shooting little gun, and extremely comfortable to carry...either AIWB or offside pocket carry in my Carharrt jeans.

A bud owns a G 43 and uses the Taran Tactical mag extensions. I've fired it several times and it's a great shooting gun. He did have to replace the plastic sites and put a lighter disconnector in it...his preference...but it does shoot better now.

Another bud had his daughter's XDs 9mm out with us the other day as he is trying to decide which one he wants to purchase. After shooting all 3 he decided on the Glock 43.

I prefer my Shield of the 3. btw...my Shield ran about $365.00 shipping, TICS, tax and all...

Point is, if you can try each of them out it would be of benefit to you. The "feel" is a very subjective thing. Cost is another matter.

Keep us posted on you choice and/or impressions.

• Like 1
Of the 3, my preference is the Shield. I have 2 and love them. I had a few FTF and FTE during the breakin period, but cured it by shooting 124 grain instead of 115. After about 500 rounds, they both function with the 115 now, but I prefer the 124 in them.

I got one as a Christmas present and I love it.  I've put about 300rds through it so far with no malfunctions.  It carries like a dream too....super thin and lightweight. 

I'm going to check out those mag gut kits as well.  Never heard of em before.

Had one in 9mm. Heavier than I wanted and did not like the felt weight of it, seemed nose heavy. Took me a month to realize that. The 2.5+ oz over other similar pistols made a difference and kicked it out of my pile. the weight does have controllability benifits if you need it and makes a sweet shooter in 40s&w but if I need that caliber a glock 27 trumps the shield. The shield 9mm...... Traded and Happier with the block 43 but still can't displace the cm9.
The only way to decide is get one and post an update. My o2

Not to derail Broox's thread, but what do y'all think of the new Performance Center Shield with the fiber optic sights and ported barrel?  I get the sights, but I'm not sure what the point was of porting the barrel on a small carry gun.  Is the trigger that much better than the regular Shield without the Apex?

Well I obviously need another Shield if both hipower & musicman own 2 each!

I actually would like to have a second...one in the belt and one in the pocket seems more balanced anyway. :pleased:

Haha! You better catch up! Lol!

But seriously, I bought the second one for wifey as she finally got her HCP and she loved my Shield. Well... she wasn't takin' my little buddy away from me, so I had to buy a second! It's just another regular (non PC) Shield, but I gotta say, Smith has made the trigger even better since I got mine a couple years ago. I thought mine was good, but hers is even better! Very nice takeup, and it stacks just right and then... pop! Super clean break.

Both of mine were 100% right away, both with cheap ammo and my reloads, as well as all the different HP ammo I've tried so far to include factory XTP ammo, Critical Defense, HSTs, Hydrashocks, Golden Sabers, Gold Dots... um.... others I'm sure, too.
  • Like 3

Not to derail Broox's thread, but what do y'all think of the new Performance Center Shield with the fiber optic sights and ported barrel?  I get the sights, but I'm not sure what the point was of porting the barrel on a small carry gun.  Is the trigger that much better than the regular Shield without the Apex?

Marketing
Don’t get me wrong I have a Shield and really like it, but it’s a belly gun not a range or target gun; sights and porting add nothing.The trigger on mine is fine, but again... It’s not a target gun.
  • Like 1