Who wants to earn $200?

NextExit

I was on this "experiment" of nothing but MRE's for 21 days...it was called the Invasion of Iraq in 2003.  Medical science didn't ask for a stool sample, however.

I didn't have a fresh meal (well a T-Rat, so fresh is a loose term) from the day before we crossed the berm in Kuwait until the Brigade I was attached to settled just outside of Baghdad and the field kitchens set up at the BDE and BN TOCs while we cleared Baghdad.

I would do it as long as I can rat#### the cases and throw away the vegetarian offerings

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The Cheese Tortellini was pretty damn good with crackers mixed in.

Edited by btq96r

I was on this "experiment" of nothing but MRE's for 21 days...it was called the Invasion of Iraq in 2003. I didn't have a fresh meal (well a T-Rat, so fresh is a loose term) from the day before we crossed the berm in Kuwait until the Brigade I was attached to settled just outside of Baghdad and the field kitchens set up at the BDE and BN TOCs while we cleared Baghdad.

The Cheese Tortellini was pretty damn good with crackers mixed in.

Yeah Im sure most of us have done the MRE thing for damn near 30 days straigut

Even worse is just poptarts...

If it was only chili mac and chicken dumplings id be happy

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am on a diet and need to lose some weight, so I read this. Pizzing in a jar and blood draws....no problem. Taking a crap in a jar is a deal breaker.

leaving.gif

You won't lose weight this way, did you read the calorie count?  When I went to Sapper school, we had two MREs per day for about three weeks or so.  Even with all the vigorous activity, I still didn't lose any weight and I didn't consume all the meal, we cannibalized the MREs because we had to carry them all in our packs.  Now, if you want to loose weight the army's way, go to SERE school.

Waste of money if you ask me, there are tons of opportunity's to study service members, just send the scientists to the field with one of the units in the 101st or 82nd, then they can study the morale side of eating MREs for too long.

You won't lose weight this way, did you read the calorie count?  When I went to Sapper school, we had two MREs per day for about three weeks or so.  Even with all the vigorous activity, I still didn't lose any weight and I didn't consume all the meal, we cannibalized the MREs because we had to carry them all in our packs.  Now, if you want to loose weight the army's way, go to SERE school.

Waste of money if you ask me, there are tons of opportunity's to study service members, just send the scientists to the field with one of the units in the 101st or 82nd, then they can study the morale side of eating MREs for too long.

The calories aren't the concern for me.... it's the sodium! :death:   I like not being on blood pressure meds.

YUCK!! I would not touch that crap for $20,000!! LOL i would literally die...wife and i have been vegan for 3 years now~dogs too. Yep, got a Subaru too :pleased:

Vegan?  No problem!  There's an MRE for that. :-\

http://www.campingsurvival.com/vegetarianmre.html

Nope, not interested and I've consumed several cases of MRE's and freeze dried meals over the years. That stuff has its place and purpose but its kind of like eating nothing but processed frozen foods or canned foods. Eat to much of them without fresh foods and problems are going to happen.

MRE dinner date - the following is a story from a young Marine.

I had a date the other night at my place. On the phone the day
before, the girl asked me to "Cook her something she's never had
before" for dinner.  After many minutes of scratching my head over what to make, I finally settled on something she has DEFINITELY never eaten before.

I got out my trusty case of MRE's (Meal, Ready-to-Eat) Field rations that when eaten in their entirety contain 3000+ calories in each meal.

Here's what I made: I took three of the Ham Slices out of their
plastic packets, took out three of the Pork Chops, three packets of
Chicken-a-la-king and eight packets of dehydrated butter noodles and some dehydrated/rehydrated rice.

I cooked the Ham Slices and Pork Chops in one pan, sauteed in shaved garlic and olive oil.  In another pot, I blended the Chicken
a-la-king, noodles, and rice together to make a sort of mush that
looked suspiciously like succotash.

I added some spices, and blended everything together in a glass pan
that I then cooked in the oven for about 35 minutes at 450 degrees.
When I took it out, it looked like, well, ham slices, pork chops,
and a bed of yellow poop.  I covered the tops of the meat in the MRE cheese (kinda like Velveeta) and added some green sprinkly things from one of my spice cans (hey, if it has green sprinkly things on it, it looks fancy right?)

For dessert, I took four MRE Pound Cakes, mashed 'em up, added five packets of cocoa powder, powdered coffee cream, and some water.  I heated it up and stirred it until it looked like a sort of chunky gelatinous xxxxxxx, and I sprinkled powdered sugar on top of it.  Voilaanger Pudding!

For dinner drinks, I took the rest of my bottle of Military
Special Vodka (yes, they DO make a type of liquor named "Military Special"...it sells for $4.35 per fifth at the Class Six) and mixed in four packets of "Electrolytes - 1 each - Cherry flavored" (I swear, the packet says that).  It looked like an eerie Kool-Aid with
sparkles in it (that was the electrolytes I guess... but could've been
leftover sand from Egypt ).

I lit two candles, put a vase of wildflowers in the middle, and set
the table with my best set of Ralph Lauren Academy-series China
(that stuff is EXPENSIVE... My set of 8 place settings cost me over
$600 on sale at the Lejeune PX), and put the alcoholic drink in a
crystal wine decanter.

She came over, and I had some appetizers already made, of MRE
spaghetti-with-meatballs, set in small cups.  She saw the dinner,
saw the food, and said "This looks INCREDIBLE!!!"
We dug in, and she loved the food.

Throughout the meal, she kept asking me how long it took me to make it, and kept remarking that I obviously knew a thing or two about cooking fine meals. She kind of balked at the make-shift "wine" I had set out, but after she tried it I guess she liked it because she drank four glasses during dinner.

At the end of the main course, when I served the dessert, she
squealed with delight at the "Chocolate mousse" I had made.  Huh?
Chocolate what?  Okay... Yeah... Its Chocolate Moose.  Took me
HOURS to make... Yup!

Later on, as we were watching a movie, she excused herself to use my rest room.  While she was in there, I heard her say softly to
herself "uh oh" and a resounding but petite fart punctuated her
utterance of dismay.

Let the games begin.  She sprayed about half a can of air freshener
(Air Freshener, 1 each, Orange scent.  Yup.  The military even makes
smell-good) and returned to the couch, this time with an obvious
pained look.  After 10 more minutes she excused herself again, and retreated to the bathroom for the second time, I could hear her say, "What the hell is WRONG with me???" as she again send flatulent shock waves into the porcelain bowl.  This time, they sounded kinda wet, and I heard the toilet paper roll being employed, and again, LOTS more air freshener.

Back to the couch.  She smiles meekly as she decides to sit on the
chair instead of next to me.  She sits on my chair, knees pulled up
to her chest, kind of rocking back and forth slightly.  Suddenly, without a word, she ROCKETED up and FLEW to the bathroom,
slammed the door, and didn't come out for 30 minutes.  I turned the movie up because I didn't want her to hear me laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my cheeks.

She came out with a slightly gray pallor to her face, and said "I am
SOOOOOO sorry.  I have NO idea what is wrong with me.  I am so
embarrassed; I can't believe I keep running to your bathroom!!"
I gave her an Imodium AD, and she finally settled down and relaxed.  Later on, she asked me again what I had made for dinner, because she had enjoyed it so much.  I calmly took her into the kitchen and showed her all the used MRE bags and packets in the trash can.  After explaining to her that she had eaten roughly 9,000 calories of "Marine Corps Field Rations" she turned stark white, looked at me incredulously, and said "I ate 9,000 calories of dehydrated food that was made 3 years ago?"

After I admitted it, she grabbed her coat and keys, and took off
without a word.  She called me yesterday.  Seems she couldn't shit
for 5 days, and when she finally did, the smell was so bad, her roommate could smell it from down the hall.  She also told me she had been working out nonstop to combat the high caloric intake, and that she never wanted me to cook dinner for her again, unless she was PERSONALLY present and supervising.

It was a fun date.  She laughed about it eventually and said that that was the first time she'd ever crapped in a guy's house on a date.  She'd been so upset by it she was in tears in the bathroom while I had been in tears on the couch.

• Like 8

Vegan?  No problem!  There's an MRE for that. :-\

http://www.campingsurvival.com/vegetarianmre.html

Thanks so much for the suggestions.  I guess I should have been more specific:  "vegetarian diets are broken into three or more groups include lacto-ovo vegetarians (whose diets include eating dairy products and eggs), lacto vegetarians (who eat dairy, but avoid eggs), and vegan vegetarians (those who avoid animal products altogether).  Lol, Ive been gluten free for 3 months now as well.  gluten-free diet (GFD) is a diet that excludes gluten, a protein composite found in wheat, barley, rye, and all their species and hybrids."   .....no beer or whisky but there are plenty of other alcoholic options, haha!
  I'm sure y'all are wondering what the crap I actually eat...in short, I eat plants.  Yep, only plants.  There's a vegan version of pretty much everything. Darn good stuff too -you don't even miss the animals or cholesterol, no kidding.  I started eating a vegan diet for the health benefits.  Now I see how it's even more than just eating "healthy"  - it can actually make the world a better place for future generations - factory farms are terrible not just for the animals but for the people who work in them, live around them and even the atmosphere.  
I've eaten this way for almost three years now - I really can't believe it sometimes.  I'm a country-boy at heart but one day I randomly watched Vegetated and Forks Over Knives on Netlix and I gave it a shot and man, I've never felt so good in my life.        
Edited by Mwhiskey

vegan vegetarians (those who avoid animal products altogether).
I have a friend of mine in NY whose wife falls under this category.  She won't eat scrambled eggs, oysters, sushi... pretty much just water, rice, kelp, etc.

factory farms are terrible not just for the animals but for the people who work in them, live around them and even the atmosphere.  
Years ago, I picked up a load at Iowa Beef Producers.  Cattle trucks on one side, me on the other.  When I pulled out of the dock, I noticed the signs on the pallets of "beef" said "Not Fit For Human Consumption."  It was a 2 stop load... first was Alpo (yup, dog food) and the second was Oscar Meyer.  I got to see how hot dogs were made. :puke:  Needless to say, it took me about 3 years before I ate another hot dog.  (I figured it hadn't killed me yet so it couldn't be that bad. :2cents: )  I've also been told that if I saw how a frozen pizza was made, I'd never eat another one.  (Something about the toppings)  I love pizza!  No one is gonna ruin that for me! :ignore:

Will I Live to see 80?

Here's something to think about.

I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive Lab tests, He said I was doing fairly well for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?'

He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?' 'Oh no,' I replied. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!'

Then He asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?' 'I said, 'Not much... My former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!'

'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?' 'No, I don't,' I said.

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive motor-cycles, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?' 'No,' I said...

He looked at me and said,.. 'Then, why do you even give a shit?' :rock:

• Like 6

No thanks.  In the mid-60s we were issued C Rations packed in 1946.  Enough experimenting for me.

Damn Garufa, that was good!! :clap: :biglol:

My father spent most of his military career working in supply. I can remember as a kid we always had a kitchen cabinet stocked with the OD Green C-Rations. You know the story, they fell off the truck and throwing them in the trash wasn't an option in the 60's. I don't ever recall a family road trip, fishing trip, camping trip, or picnic without some kind of C Ration being involved. I'm certain there was a C Ration worked into our regular Sunday evening dinner if mom had anything to do with it, and as I recall I enjoyed them. Now as for MRE's, unless it's a post apocolyptic necesity, no thank you.