Who owns a 40 S&W ?

94user

Lets see:  Sig P229, Glock 22, & Glock 23.  I don't dislike the round, it will do the job if needed, and if its good enough for LEO, its good enough for me.  Between the guns, the Sig by far, but I usually carry the 23 and the 22 is not too far from me from time to time. 

• Like 1
The round grew on me a lot over the years. While I still have more 9's than 40's, I stock pile the 40 for my shtf pistol platform with a Glock 22 and a Glock 27. Both of these were cheaply acquired police trade ins . The Glock 22 was actually my duty weapon and has eaten several thousand rounds without an issue.

I have had Sigs in 40 and a Shield in 40, all whereas accurate and as easy to handle as their 9mm counterparts. Edited by Patton

Glock 27... I like it... Shoots very well... We do the "standard" reloading... 180 grain bullet 950 fps... Works like a charm... Nothin not to like about it...

Brass is easy to come by... Easy to reload...

lerot

Kahr PM40 and a Beretta 96.
Both shoot fine. I carry the Kahr as my edc. No problems with either gun. Reloading is simple enough with the .40 so I shoot them regularly. The Beretta is a fun shooter.

I had and carried a PM40 for a while, especially when I needed some power but needed to hide it. The PM40 is a WHOLE lot of firepower in a very small package.

I also had a H&K USP 40 and I'm not sure what the problem was but I couldn't hit Jack with it, I was more accurate with my XD 45.

I have had a couple G27s on different occasions, nice gun, just not nice enough for me to keep for long.

For that general size, I prefer 9mm or .45acp but .40 is a good round and will get the job done if you do your part.

Own currently? 3rd gen G-22. Have owned S&W Sigma, 2nd gen G-23/22/27, 4th gen G27. It's a bit more snappy then a +p or some +p+ 9mmP rounds in light weight pistols. Shot from a G-22 or G-23 it's a noticable bump up from the G-17/19 in recoil and muzzle blast. You can really tell the difference between the G-27 & G-26 the most in recoil.

It's a good defensive handgun round, but so's the 45 ACP or a properly loaded +p or +p+ 9mmP. If you want one give it a try, if you think its going to be light years ahead of a good 9mmp or 45 ACP pistol its not.

I have an early SIG P229 thathe hs been shot more than I can count I also have 2 3rd Gen S&W 4013 and a 4026 that have been great guns. Previously also had a Taurus PT101. All are fine weapons but the SIG is the favorite with the 4013 second.

Everyone's comments are spot on. Can be snappy but not bad.

Fter all that I carry a 45 SIG and feel very well equipped. Use the highest performance weapon that you shoot the best.
M&P 40s in 5" Pro, 4.25" Full size, and a Compact, I think it's a 3 or 3.5".

I think the round is adequate. It's what I bought for my very first gun, so that's what I built my collection around at first. Since I've also gotten into 10MM it's been easy since I had everything I need on hand because I already loaded 40.

However, if I were starting a collection all over again with what I know today, I'd probably just go 9 for the most part. The increased capacity and lower price of ammo is nice and I don't feel that 9 is deficient vs 40, like I did 10 years ago. My EDC is a Shield 9.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my 40s, but I doubt I'm going to buy more. I will, however, probably get a boatload more 9s, and hopefully my first 1911 (in 45 of course) this year.
  • Like 1
Took my Handgun Permit Class back in the mid 90s, 1993 or '94, with my then brand new Sig P229 .40 and did rather well with it. It served me very well and I thought it a fine tool.

But over the years, I've gravitated to 9mm and 45 more. I sold the Sig, and now have only 2 in 40; a Taurus PT100 and a Glock G24 with a 6" barrel.

The G24 is by far the softest shooting 40 I have ever owned, and believe me that's been quite a few in 40+ years of pistol shooting.

These days, I rarely shoot 40, as I find it a bit more punishing to my now arthritic hands than other calibers, but never really had anything against it.
Sig P229 in the nightstand with a light on it. H&K USP compact in the safe, carry a 4th Gen Glock 23 every day.
The 229 is a dream to shoot but heavy for a carry gun, even without the light on it.
The H&K took a while to get the sights figured out (they are slightly different than others, Google it... game changer).
G23, I can make it hit minute of man at 25 yds. Maybe not head shots, but I'll keep practicing with it. Thinking about changing out the trigger for a flat trigger, can't get used to the stock one.
The round overall is fine for my application. At the speeds that I've crono'd for and reloaded for I shouldn't have to worry about over penetration, but still get a decent velocity.
It can be snappy, you can get used to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sig S2022, 226, 229 and yes a high point. Do like the round and Enjoy shooting, have defensive ammo but typically carry in .357 config. Except for the high point. It stays in the truck stuffed with Golden Sabers.