Looking for Nashville Credit Union/Banking suggestions

JDebler

As mentioned here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/93466-just-moved-to-nashville-area-from-detroit/

I just moved into the area and we are trying to get our lives set up.

My wife is trying to set up our bank accounts and she said "Where can we get honest info about a good bank or credit union around here?".  I said, "If you want honest people, go to a gun owner forum."  :)

So if anyone has suggestions based on experience, they would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Most of your local credit unions will have a community charter, meaning if you live/work/worship within a geographic footprint, you can join.

Typically better value/service than a large bank corp, more similar to a small local/regional bank with lower / no fees.

Make sure they are part of the "co-op" ATM network.

First Community, Cornerstone, The Tennessee Credit Union and Ascend are a few to check out.

You've got 15+ community credit unions in greater Nash to choose from...

As mentioned here:
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/93466-just-moved-to-nashville-area-from-detroit/

My wife is trying to set up our bank accounts and she said "Where can we get honest info about a good bank or credit union around here?". I said, "If you want honest people, go to a gun owner forum." :)

So if anyone has suggestions based on experience, they would be appreciated. Thanks!

We bank with two different banks, neither of which are a credit union. For me, I use Pinnicle Financial Partners. I love them. One of the friendliest, most helpful banks I have EVER used. www.pnfp.com Whenever I have trouble I just call and get a human instantly. I love them so much that I rely on mobile banking because there isn't a branch where we live yet.

Monkey banks with First Tennessee. I'm iffy here. In Nashville they were great. Financially they helped us make some wise decisions, but up here I think the service could improve a wee bit.

Do not go with Suntrust!!! I opened my account with Third National Bank (now Suntrust) in 1978. I have been happy with them until two weeks ago. Went in to deposit my paycheck on Dec. 23, the check was dated Dec. 24. The drive through teller would not accept my deposit. I left angry and drove directly to another branch and they processed my transaction with no problem. I decided to see if this was a fluke and repeated the process this week, same situation. Again this branch refused to take my deposit (no cash back mind you) because the check was dated day after. I tore the acting manager a new a**hole and left. I went to the branch inside Kroger at Hickory Hollow and made my deposit. I have written Suntrust Corporate, but have not had a response yet. I don't know why the asshats at the Nolensville Rd. by Southern Hills are doing things different than all other branches, but I am probably moving my money elsewhere.

I have been well pleased with First Tennessee. They hold our mortgage as well. We were with suntrust before this but switched when we got the FT home loan. I was pleased with Suntrust and they were very competitive in the home loan. I like FT because they are a TN bank and have locations all over the state.

https://www.connexuscu.org/about-us/connexus-association

Not local ;however, this is who we have been with for several years and are quite happy with them. If you jump through some hoops you get 1.75% APY* on checking accounts. I make deposits via my wife's smart phone and if I need cash I just go to any ATM (No charge on there end and they reimburses any other associated fees) (I'm big on that feature sense there are no banks in my "area") Payroll checks and most bills are set up on auto deposit/pay...

Edited by hughd

As mentioned here:

My wife is trying to set up our bank accounts and she said "Where can we get honest info about a good bank or credit union around here?".  I said, "If you want honest people, go to a gun owner forum."   :)

So if anyone has suggestions based on experience, they would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Honest bank: Is that like military intelligence?

Honestly, with the feds keeping interest rates low, it really doesn't matter where you bank. You're not going to get any kind of interest on your accounts, whether saving or money market. Just get one that has free checking (almost all of them) and offers you a free debit card (almost all of them). The fed will take care of devaluing your money and ensuring that it goes to bailing out their members and their debtors in the form of taxation and inflation.

How's that for honesty? ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I use Ascend. Been with them since when they were AEDC credit union. Back then either you or an immediate family member had to work on AEDC Airforce base. I had family that worked there is how I got in. It has gotten much easier to get in but it is still members only. If you have a way in, you won't find better rates than them.
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum.

What are you looking for in a bank?

A checking account is about all I'm interested in. That an an ATM.

I use a local bank here, and wouldn't be of much use to you in Nashville, but if you state what you're looking for, others here could better give recommendations.

I've never found a service at a credit union I was interested in, but hear plenty of people brag about them. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Edited by gregintenn

I've never found a service at a credit union I was interested in, but hear plenty of people brag about them. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Me personally, speaking for Ascend, they have better rates than nearly anyone else for auto and home loans as well as personal loans. Also much easier to deal with than banks in my experience. Also, Ascend is non profit. After paying all expenses at years end, members receive a dividend check according to how much is in your accounts and what loans you have with them and what not.