3.25 or 6.5 RMR

My new G40 will be here this week and I am trying to decide which Trijicon sight to get. The RMR06 has a 3.25 dot which would be good for more accurate shots further out but the RMR07, with the 6.5 dot, would be quicker to acquire I would suspect. I don't plan to hunt with this gun so I don't expect to be shooting at 100 yards, not that I can hit anything from 100 feet, but would like to be able to shoot at smaller areas at greater distances and it is my understanding that the 6.5 would cover a 3.25 inch area at 50 yards. Any thoughts from the experts out there? I was also looking at the Trijicon suppressor height iron sights to co-witness if anyone has any thoughts on those or others that are night sights. Thanks

I have one of each - a 3.25 RM01 and a 6.5 RM07. Which I prefer is entirely dependent upon what type of shooting I'm doing. If I'm shooting 25 yds or less, especially in a setting where quick target acquisition is important, then I prefer the 6.5 MOA. For all other shooting I prefer the 3.25 MOA. If I could choose only one I'd keep the 3.25 MOA...to me it's much more versatile.

We're right down the road from each other so if you'd like to meet up to take a look at the 2 different MOAs in person let me know and we can arrange something. Just PM me.

By the way...my tired old eyes make me a HUGE RMR fan!
  • Like 1
I'm definitely not an expert but I'll voice my opinion anyways... if you're aiming for a ping-pong ball put an ACOG on it. Baseballs use a 3.25 and softballs a 6.5. Monogomous dryfire practice, safely, with your Glock will yield impressive results. My first outing after cheating on my Glocks with a 1911 I mistakenly blamed the ammo. Accuracy and Familiarity go hand in hand. Have fun with your handcannon. :)

I don't claim to be any sort of expert, but I have several RMRs, and they're all RM07s (6.5).  If you're goal is bullseye shooting, a smaller dot would be useful, but I haven't found the larger dot to be any problem.  It's not hard to visually center a larger dot on a typical target, and at normal handgun ranges (25 yards or less). 

If you plan to shoot 100 yards, are you going to zero your optic for that distance, or just hold over using your normal zero.  If you're holding over, then the size of the dot won't matter, because it won't be covering your target anyway.  The only time I think I'd want a smaller dot is if I was going to zero it for long range, but I couldn't hit anything anyway, so I might as well stick with the big dot :-)

Rusty

• 2 weeks later...