2016 TN Legislature

Have the NRA and other lobbying groups started working with our state legislators on bills to improve our carry rights?

If you were a TFA member you'd be in the loop on state level effort, just sayin...

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

If the TFA would stop trying to violate property and contract rights by making HCP a 'protected class' then I might be a member still ;(

If you were a TFA member you'd be in the loop on state level effort, just sayin...

- OS

A very good happening occurred today with the agreement of a prominent House member to Sponsor a much needed piece of legislation. (Senate sponsor was already locked down)

As soon as the GA decides to update their website for the second half of the 109th  General Assembly, those sponsors and the bill will be available for scrutiny.

I have some meetings next week that will give an indication of how easy or hard this may be, but I can promise a strong attempt!

• Like 1

Are there any plans this legislative session to get rid of the 500 dollar fine for the 'no gun' signs?  We would have it pretty good here with our handgun carry permits if the 'no gun' sign law was modified to remove the fine for people with permits.

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 3

I would like TICS exemption too for the handgun carry permit but I do not think it will happen.  Pro gun bills have a way of being stalled in the finance committee and a TICS exemption would reduce govt revenue.  We need bills that would not get stuck in the finance committee so that they can reach a floor vote.

I would like TICS exemption too for the handgun carry permit but I do not think it will happen.  Pro gun bills have a way of being stalled in the finance committee and a TICS exemption would reduce govt revenue.  We need bills that would not get stuck in the finance committee so that they can reach a floor vote.

Okay, then I want someone in the legislature to stand up and go on record telling us that reducing the number of TICS checks would mean a reduction in revenue.

TICS is supposed to be a background check, not a revenue generator.  It SHOULD be revenue-neutral, whether the system does a thousand checks or 10 million. If it actually costs less than 10 bucks per check, then the price of the check needs to go down accordingly. 

• Like 1

I think also for the handgun carry permit to be a substitute for a background check when buying a gun at a dealer, the state would have to run background checks yearly on all the handgun carry permits.  I may be wrong, but I think the background checks are only done when the permits are renewed.

Edited by 300winmag

I think also for the handgun carry permit to be a substitute for a background check when buying a gun at a dealer, the state would have to run background checks yearly on all the handgun carry permits.  I may be wrong, but I think the background checks are only done when the permits are renewed.

I used to think that too, but it isn't the case.  We would need to go back to 5-year renewals though.  Or just allow HCP holders to voluntarily renew after 5 years if they choose.

18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3)

(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a firearm transfer between a licensee and another person if—

(A)
(i) such other person has presented to the licensee a permit that—
(I)
allows such other person to possess or acquire a firearm; and
(II)
was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and
(ii)
the law of the State provides that such a permit is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by such other person would be in violation of law;
Edited by dcloudy777

Okay, then I want someone in the legislature to stand up and go on record telling us that reducing the number of TICS checks would mean a reduction in revenue.

Committee hearings 4-5 years ago addressing bill on this very subject, the revenue loss was clearly addressed as an issue. One plan was to raise the price of the permit to compensate for lost revenue. Somebody even came up with some kind of estimate of how many guns per year the average HCPer bought, which of course was pretty much a WAG.

- OS

If a decrease in the number of checks would really result in a loss of revenue, we should demand an audit of the TICS system.

It's not supposed to be turning a &$^%#* profit!!!

TCA says a profit is fine, overage amount is appropriated to other TBI activities.

- OS

In order to keep a bill from Sargent's black hole committee, you will have to prevent enterprising young scalawags seeking a sniff of the Speakers hemline from attaching a fiscal note - regardless of whether it is factual, relevant, etc.  Despite her caterwauling to the contrary, that practice is still alive and well on on BH's watch.

• Like 1

If the fines were dropped, then if you had to go to some sort of local government building or a hospital to see family, you wouldn't have to worry about a weapons charge.  Many places have these signs that are not just ordinary stores or restaurants and you often have no choice in going to those locations.

As Long as Charles Sargent is the double naught-naught operative for Beth and Bill, they will make up a fiscal note to kill any bill they do not like.  Does not have to be true...

If the fines were dropped, then if you had to go to some sort of local government building or a hospital to see family, you wouldn't have to worry about a weapons charge.  Many places have these signs that are not just ordinary stores or restaurants and you often have no choice in going to those locations.

So, you just want to remove the fine, or the criminal charge as well?

I would remove both the criminal charge and the fine for people with handgun carry permits.  Missouri, for example, only turns the signs into an issue if you fail to leave when asked to leave, and even then it is only a 100 dollar fine.  Missouri's sign law makes the busy body politicians feel like they are doing something but in fact it helps people with permits.  You can even carry on school property legally in Missour until someone notices you carrying and asks you to leave.  That is a lot better than Tennessee.

Change the wording to something like this:

Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (
17) of subsection 1 of this
section by any individual who holds a concealed carry
permit
issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121

shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premise

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 2

I would remove both the criminal charge and the fine for people with handgun carry permits.  Missouri, for example, only turns the signs into an issue if you fail to leave when asked to leave, and even then it is only a 100 dollar fine.  Missouri's sign law makes the busy body politicians feel like they are doing something but in fact it helps people with permits.  You can even carry on school property legally in Missour until someone notices you carrying and asks you to leave.  That is a lot better than Tennessee.

Change the wording to something like this:

Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (
17) of subsection 1 of this
section by any individual who holds a concealed carry
permit
issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121

shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premise

Or you could just remove the section entirely because trespass law already covers this.

• Like 2