Do any of you guys wear Suspenders ?

tercel89

This may seem a bit strange , but do any of you guys wear suspenders to help keep your pants up ?

I'm in my 40's and like most on here wear a gun on my belt for carry when I am not working. But I carry a dutybelt at work 12 hrs a day that weighs about 18lbs. When I am not working I like to give my waist and lower back a rest . I got to thinking maybe getting a pair of suspenders to wear along with my belt on my days off.

Any of you guys do this ? Or do any of you guys normally wear suspenders at all ?

I dont know where to look for a pair or at least a pair that look decent . Most look like they are all nylon and fragile .

When all else fails look online....http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9/175-0699285-2904358?url=search-alias%3Dfashion-mens-accessories&field-keywords=suspenders&sprefix=suspender%2Caps%2C206

There's also a set of suspenders you wear under your uniform shirt that hook to your waistband and take some of the duty belt weight off of your lower back...  http://www.backdefensesystems.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=Back-Defender

I wear a pair, Carrharts have for a long time. Don't have the shape to keep my pants up without any more. lol. You can get all kinds on line just make sure they are wide to keep from cutting you. Give it a try I think you'll find them helpful.

• Like 3

I wear a pair, Carrharts have for a long time. Don't have the shape to keep my pants up without any more. lol. You can get all kinds on line just make sure they are wide to keep from cutting you. Give it a try I think you'll find them helpful.

You know I forgot all about Carrhart  :up:  I think I'll run by CO-OP tomarrow and maybe Tracter Supply Co and see if they have any . And yes thanks for reminding me about getting wide straps to keep from digging into the shoulders.

I still have the body to wear a beltlike normal but I am trying to save my back as much as I can . I took out a transmission a few months back , fixed it and put it back in on my own and that did a number on me , reminding me I am not 20 anymore.

tercel...

I wear 'em all the time, and i use suspender buttons too... The best of the best suspenders are made by Fred Welch... Here is the link...

http://www.welchsuspenders.com/ ... These are, in fact, "the best of the best" ...period... I discovered 'em 40 or so years ago when some of my buddies went and worked in the log woods of the pacific northwest... They are the standard of the log woods; and have been for years...

I like the "Y" backs with the 2 inch wide elastic... Easy on your shoulders and will hold anything up... Most of mine come from David Morgan... He also sells "bachelor buttons"... They are the buttons that ya have to button the waist of your carhartts and levis... Ya can install 'em with a hammer... Nothin to it... Here they are.. http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=32 ...

If ya want ta go all out with the logger dungarees, check here... Good deals on them as well... 

http://www.baileysonline.com/Clothing/Men-s-Clothing/Jeans/Key/Key-Industries-48011-Relaxed-Fit-Denim-Logger-Dungarees.axd 

I have also bought carhartt logger dungarees from sierra trading post...

Buy without hesitation... I've done business with all these folks... This stuff will hold your dungarees and everything else up...

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1

You know I forgot all about Carrhart  :up:  I think I'll run by CO-OP tomarrow and maybe Tracter Supply Co and see if they have any . And yes thanks for reminding me about getting wide straps to keep from digging into the shoulders.

I still have the body to wear a beltlike normal but I am trying to save my back as much as I can . I took out a transmission a few months back , fixed it and put it back in on my own and that did a number on me , reminding me I am not 20 anymore.

Kind of off topic but I had my wife lift a 350 tranny up for me to install when she was 8 mos. preg. I put 2 cinder blocks under the front bumper and then a 2x10 about 12 foot long on that. Slid the tranny on the board and had my wife sit on the other end. Slipped the tranny into place and installed a couple bolts. Thanked my wife several times for saving my back. A lot better than doing it by yourself like I had been doing.

• Like 1

I wore a pair of perry suspenders just like these ones between a white tshirt and whatever other shirt I was wearing for a while. It was quite comfy and handy not to have to tighten my belt so tight.

Don't know why I quit wearing them. I think I'll wear them to work tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 3

Kind of off topic but I had my wife lift a 350 tranny up for me to install when she was 8 mos. preg. I put 2 cinder blocks under the front bumper and then a 2x10 about 12 foot long on that. Slid the tranny on the board and had my wife sit on the other end. Slipped the tranny into place and installed a couple bolts. Thanked my wife several times for saving my back. A lot better than doing it by yourself like I had been doing.

Mine was in a 2003 Mustang MACH 1 and there was absolutely 1/2 inch cleareance all the way around and a nightmare . I eventually borrowed a transmission jack but these newer cars are a nightmare and clearly put togather on the assembly line building the whole damn car around the engine and transmission with no room for clearence nor the shad tree mechanic .LOL .

• Like 1

+1 on the Perry suspenders.  I like them because they hook onto my belt without having to sew buttons into all my pants.  When I can support my belt (and the load it's carrying) my pants stay up just fine!   Plus my belt feels much better when it's not pulled so tight. 

Got some crazy patterns too.  If you can't have fun wearing these you just can't have fun.

• Like 6

Yes, I started wearing them while working in the yard. Got tired of always pulling up my pants. Best move I've made in a long while. I'm much more comfortable with them.

Tercel, and all you guys considering them, be sure and look at the snap closures for the back. Some of them can be so large and aggressive they will wear thru shirt material and leave imprints in your car seat.

My wife bought me a new pair and I almost ripped the leather in my car they had such sharp edges.

I have worn Perry's from the day I got my HCP. I buy mine at Walmart. A real big advantage to the Perry's is when you have to go to the bathroom in public. You don't have to take your shirt or jacket off to drop your pants. Easy off and easy hook up! Get the ones with the nylon keepers, they last longer. I am 72 years old and don't have any rear or hips to hold my pants up anymore. Everything migrated to my belly!

• Like 1

I wore suspenders for several months recently because the surgeries I had, etc. made wearing a belt not an option for a while (too painful.)  I have to say, I hate suspenders.  They tend to make my shoulders tense and achy not to mention that they are sometimes a PITA to keep connected, depending on what kind of pants you are wearing.

That said, I have a pair that I bought at Walmart a few years back that are designed to be worn with a belt.  These do not attach to the waistband of the pants but are designed to hook onto the belt, itself.  Something like that might be a good option for you.  I think I have only worn them a few times and got them when I was still carrying OWB most of the time and, because of my shape needed to sometimes give my belt a little help in staying put (have since gone to mostly pocket carry with smaller, lighter guns.)  I don't remember the brand for sure but I think they are Dickies.  Might not be, though.

EDIT:  Ha - I was typing when raildog's post (above) came through.  Sounds like we are talking about the same suspenders, bought at Walmart.

Edited by JAB

I tried something different with my Perry suspenders today. I wore the front hooks around the side like trucker style suspenders. It was so comfy that I ordered a pair [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GDJS6NA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00"] of these suspenders[/url] online.

• Like 1

I don't think there is anything unfashionable about suspenders. I don't wear a suit that often these days, though will wear suspenders to dress it up a little. 

They are far better than a belt.  I spent the 90s wearing suspenders when folks actually wore a suit to work everyday.  

It sounds like you may be law enforcement, so your needs will be different than mine, though as many have shared there are a wide range of suspender types available.

I would suggest against the ones that clip to you pants and get the buttons sewn in.  If so, make sure they sew the buttons that the suspenders connect to really well, possibly with some reinforcement if you are wearing them when you work.

• Like 1