Retention Holsters

Anyone care to give me a crash course on retention holsters? With the upcoming change in VA policy, i will have to embrace open carry when crossing the state line. I don't think i will need the level of retention used by LEO's but i don't like the idea of open carry without some sort of retention.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Without going to a LEO retention holster, you probably have two main options: 1) a regular belt holster with a thumb-break retention strap, or 2) one of the basic retention holsters like the Blackhawk Serpa or the Safariland ALS with the locking device.  I'm perfectly comfortable with option one.

I'm not trying to discuss the differences in opinion, but I prefer no retention. And when I look for a OWB holster I have to look high and low to find anything that doesn't have some sort of retention like a thump break or a strap of some kind. Nearly all quality OWB holsters have a retention device. I use a Galco Combat Master with no retention device but most holsters have something.

I would recommend against the Blackhawk Serpa holster. I found that when attempting to draw a full size Glock, the angle of the grip combined with the location of the retention finger press device caused my finger to fall directly on the trigger when the gun came out of the holster. I told the owner immediately who began to instruct me on keeping my finger straight. Sure...

It's one thing to keep the finger straight when it doesn't have to do anything, but with the Serpa retention, the trigger finger has to press the lever inwards to release the device. Of course, the finger continues to go in after the gun is unholstered, stopping when it hits the trigger guard or the frame. In my case, my finger would sometimes go INSIDE the trigger guard. Making it worse, the retention lever was hard to actuate, so I wound up pushing it with the pad of my finger, which meant the finger had to be slightly bent, which meant it was even more likely to continue to bend after the gun was released from the holster.

There have been a number of NDs with this holster for this reason. There are holsters with thumb retention devices. I'd consider those first.

EDITED: Here's a link to an article that describes the problems with the Serpa type retention. http://weaponsman.com/?p=16642

Edited by jgradyc

I had one of these for a while: 

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/797/797312.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/957173453/galco-fletch-belt-holster-glock-17-22-31-leather

It was definitely a quality product and I was surprised how naturally it was to release the thumb-break while drawing. I don't OC so I didn't hang on to it since none of my other holsters have any sort of retention (except a quality fit).  I am not sure why I even bought the thing except that I wanted to try it.  I am pretty much an all kydex guy these days but I will admit that leather does look better.  If I were so inclined to OC I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another thumb-break holster as I found it simple, manageable solution and I do think the thumb-break would make a "gun-grab" a little more difficult.     

Edited by JReedEsq

I use a holster that "looks" similar to the Serpa, but the trigger issue is not there. Your trigger finger presses the catch, but stays out of harms way. It's made in Israel by IDM, about $30 I believe. I have zero complaints. Also, adjustable for cant, and is available with other options. It's a paddle type that fits over the belt.

I'm a huge fan of Safariland. Pressing that little button becomes second nature quick and and doesn't place your finger near the bang switch like the Serpas.

I have the 5378 and like it a lot for a paddle style. It's slimmer than the 6378 and the release is with the middle finger vs the thumb. 

• Like 1
I don't mind the serpa but it can be picky anything gets in the release it runs bad or if you have any pull on the gull or pressure in a certain direction it can bind. The ALS holsters are good I use one as a duty holster and the thumb release is natural feeling to me. I have some knock down fights and rolling around with it and never worry about the gun coming out.

I've got the Blackhawk, it seems to be a good Duty-holster for a 1911.  It works well without a belt. 

It took a while to get it to release right.  I'm not comfortable to bet my life on it, maybe with more practice.

Edited by kcruisin
I use the Bianchi "carry lock". Hitting the release lever is automatic when you go to draw.

Second the Carry Lock

Use it every day and on weekends. No problems at all. Plus it does not diesengage or move the safety at all. Edited by wcd