I shot the new Ruger Amercian today

tercel89

I set out today to go buy the new Ruger American pistol. My local shop had one for trials and rental . Now I gve most brands the benefit of the doubt and so I was all set to buy it . My friend that works there gave me the new Ruger and some ammo and told me to go shoot it. I took it to the range there . Now guys I am an old country boy so I may not use the correct terms here .

The trigger and reset were just almost not there. I could barely feel where the trigger resets and it is hardly audible at all. The trigger had to go almost all the way forward to reset itself. I beleive if you rapidly fired this pistol you would easily "short-stroke" the trigger and it wouldn't fire. The trigger pull feels like one of those stress balls that you squeeze where the rubber is very soft . It almost seems like the striker barely has enough power to pierce the primer.

I love the feel of the gun . The rear of the grip where it meets your thumbs when firing did not bother me at all . I know a lot of people have said this bites their thumb knuckle , but it did not bother me at all. Accuracy was good . Recoil was good.

I have shot Glocks for 20 years and carried one on my job for 18 yrs so I am very used to how they work. I also shoot a S&W M&P9 . Both have a good positive trigger and reset . And as some of you guys know , I am a huge fan of Ruger's old P-Series pistols . I still have a few that I shoot regulary. The big ole fat and ugly ones but even they have better triggers than this new Ruger . I also noticed that when I took this new Ruger's slide off that it has no conventional trigger bar like Glock and the M&P has . It was very new to me and I did not undertsand it's "guts" as comapared to what I am used to.

So I decided to keep my money and just wait it out. I was sssoooooo set on getting this pistol. I still hope it does well and I may eventually get one , but I am gonna wait it out for a while and see if Ruger does anything with this trigger. The shop said that they are going to keep running this pistol on the rental range and not clean it to see how well it does. I am anxious to see how it does too.

Guys I didn't mean to jabber on and on but I thought I'd share my experience that I had today. Like I said , I will hold out for Ruger to see if they "upgrade" this trigger and/or fix or change anything else.

Until then if I see an old P90 in .45ACP in great shape  I may just buy it instead :cool:

Have a great day guys /gals

• Like 5

I suspect the trigger reset issue will generate enough dialog if its present in all Ruger American pistols to prompt a bit of redesign improvments. That's in the nature of newly released pistols so its only a question of how soon its addressed, not if its going to be addressed. I also suspect we'll be seeing some minor frame mods in later production pistols too. So I'm still intrested in having a serious look see but in no hurry whatsoever on when or even if I purchase one. In all likelyhood should I seriously consider one it's probably going to be a .45ACP.

• Authorized Vendor

I sure wanted it bad , like a kid wanting a toy with a bundle of money in his pocket , but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it after I shot it .

You got lucky by being able to actually shoot it before you bought it. Things aren't always what they seem sometimes. Maybe they will work the trigger down the road a bit. Great review by the way. :up:

• Like 3

Good review.  You answered any questions I might have had.  I'll go back to sleep until the next great thing. 

Every time a major manufacture or some up and coming Johnny Come Lately puts out a new model handgun its the next great thing. Everything currently coming out is recycled clone ware with minimual originality. Heck, they're still making and selling that horrible DA/SA trigger of Walthers and people still think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. H&K's P7 was the closest thing to something a bit newer then past offerings. I'm still waiting for an all electronic defensive pistol with an electrically tripped trigger to come out so I can read about how fantastic it is. Probably the best inovative future designs going to be around a reliable, caseless round that actually works correctly and is a proper defensive caliber.

Oh no you're bad , you're bad !!!! So cruel ! :rofl:  He is funny !

But the plus side of all of this is you've now learned the importance of waiting until a new guns been on the market for at least six or eight months before buying it. I bought a few clunkers doing just that with the last one being a near first release S&W Sigma. That wasn't the first dud I got from S&W either. Now I look, think about it, look a few more times and most of the time by that point don't want it anymore.

• Like 2

Sorry you lost a Glock over this. Thanks for the feedback. I've been telling Monkey for a while now that we needed to add some other brands to the mix but when I read this, I'm glad he says no sometimes!

Oh I was gonna sell the Glock eventually . I was originally going to use the money to buy the all new improved Gen 2 CZ P-07. Ironically the orginal CZ P07 was the one "dud" that I bought by jumping the gun when it first came out. I got screwed but CZ took care of me and sent me an all new one but I lost confidence in it . So , the new Gen 2  P-07 is out now and I was going to get it until I got so sideswiped by this new Ruger.  Now let me tell you , the new Gen 2 CZ P-07 is GREAT , trigger and all. Plus you can convert it from decocker only to safety and back . To me it's the best hammer-fired polymer gun out there now days . But I am gonna give it a week and who knows , I may go get the CZ after all. The new Ruger's "guts" just look very unconventional to me and I don't feel comfortable with it .

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2
Somehow, we've become the Glock house. I'm not sure when it happened but it did. And oddly enough, it's my fault. It happened about a year ago and I haven't looked back. My problem is we only have 3 calibers in this house and I only have. A few options left of Glocks I don't have. Granted we have some nice pieces but those a safe babies and don't come out often. So I just keep buying ugly with lipstick. I love their Nickle-Boron slides. Which I never thought I would. I need a 20 like that and I'll be a happy girl. But I'm not trading my black 20 for it and since I've blown through a lot of money since November, it might be a few months.

I tried to branch out, if I ever finally do, it will probably be a Dan Wesson. My LGS has one and it's been there a while. When I go back if it is still there, then I'll bite. I've discovered when it's meant to be, it happens. Coon hounds and all.

Thanks, I have a bunch of Rugers including a few that were freshly announced models and have never been disappointed, now I can cross this one off my list, at least till a Gen 2 version comes out.

Oh well my list was two long anyway, at least that's what my wife keeps telling me  :x:

• Like 1

Somehow, we've become the Glock house. I'm not sure when it happened but it did. And oddly enough, it's my fault. It happened about a year ago and I haven't looked back. My problem is we only have 3 calibers in this house and I only have. A few options left of Glocks I don't have. Granted we have some nice pieces but those a safe babies and don't come out often. So I just keep buying ugly with lipstick. I love their Nickle-Boron slides. Which I never thought I would. I need a 20 like that and I'll be a happy girl. But I'm not trading my black 20 for it and since I've blown through a lot of money since November, it might be a few months.

I tried to branch out, if I ever finally do, it will probably be a Dan Wesson. My LGS has one and it's been there a while. When I go back if it is still there, then I'll bite. I've discovered when it's meant to be, it happens. Coon hounds and all.

Go and try a SA XDs45 in either the 3.3 or 4" barrel its much more comfortable to me then the Glock 36 was and FWIW I never cared for the XD line because of its humpbacked slide. The XDs line doesn't have this issue. After owning an XDs9 for the last few years I'm pretty much convinced one in .45ACP is on my short list.

I suspect the trigger reset issue will generate enough dialog if its present in all Ruger American pistols to prompt a bit of redesign improvments. That's in the nature of newly released pistols so its only a question of how soon its addressed, not if its going to be addressed. I also suspect we'll be seeing some minor frame mods in later production pistols too. So I'm still intrested in having a serious look see but in no hurry whatsoever on when or even if I purchase one. In all likelyhood should I seriously consider one it's probably going to be a .45ACP.

I don't know; the trigger on the XD has been a complaint since pretty much day one. And people are still dropping Apex triggers in their M&Ps right out of the gate.