Savage Models: What's the difference?

ReeferMac

I mean, besides price...I can't tell what makes a Model 10 different from Model 16? Saw a gorgeous Model 16 w/ stainless barrel at the range this week, and was talking w/ the guy. Had no complaints. He got it to replace the Remington 700 he just sold (which ironically is the other rifle I've been looking at). Said they were both tack-drivers.

I went to their website and couldn't even see them marketing them differently. So if you were shopping for a savage rifle, which model would you be looking at, and why?

- K

For what purpose?  I have two of their target models and they are great.  Not the prettiest guns, but they shoot well and the triggers in the target versions are superb.  

Some of the Savage stocks on the normal models leave a bit to be desired, but depending what you want to do with it, they may be fine.  If just plinking, any of them will do.  For Hunting, any of them will do.  Accuracy will be good with all, but long range shooting requires one with a better stock (outside of the target versions) or you have to replace the factory one with something better.

Which model will depend on your intent. Just target shooting, 10, all weather hunting, 16.

From SavageShooters:

10/110 = Sporter (old designation, now 10/110 is designation for the Law Enforcement Series)
11/111 = Sporter (new designation)
12/112 = Varmint Series
14/114 = Classic Series (same as Sporter Series but High Luster Blue and Nicer Wood Stocks)
16/116 = Weather Warrior Series (SS Actions, barrels, and Synthetic Stocks)
25 & 40 = Lightweight Varmint Series (these are a totally different Action Setup)
Axis = Entry Sporter ( Different Action and Stocks, Sporter Style with DBM only)

The letters in the model mean things too. Examples:
B - boyds stock
F - synthetic stock
C - detachable box mag
P - police
L - left hand model
V - bull/target barrel
S - stainless barrel
HS - HS stock
SR - suppressor ready Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 1

Which model will depend on your intent. Just target shooting, 10, all weather hunting, 16.

Thanks for the info! For the most part just target shooting. What differences exist from the sportster to weather warrior 16's, just the stainless? The guy I was talking to @ the range had the model 16 SS and liked the weight of it vs. his Rem700... that being said, I see Remington has a model 700 w/ SS barrel at 24" (vs. 22" savage), that weighs the same (costs about $30 more).

- K

Ok, there are other physical differences.

ALL long actions will be the same regardless of when they were made. That is all the stocks interchange between long action guns. But, there always is a but, there is a difference in barrel shanks for those of you that plan on swapping barrels. The long actions can have either a large shank or a small shank but 90% of them are going to be small shank barrels.

For short actions there are differences as well. Actions made before ~2006 will have a action screw spacing of 4.27" while actions made after that will have action screw spacing of 4.40". This matters if you plan on swapping stocks. ALL short actions that have a flat rear receiver, like a R700, will be 4.27". Round back actions will be 4.27" or 4.40", depending on when they were made. Basically anything after 2006 will be 4.40". Additionally some short actions also have large shank barrels but they are extremely rare and the odds of finding one is about the same as hitting the powerball.

The only two 100% reliable ways to tell whether a gun has the newer 4.40" spacing is this. If it has a cocking indicator at the rear of the bolt it will ALWAYS be the new action. And if the bolt release lever is under the gun and not on the side then it will be a 4.40" gun. But, if it doesn't have a cocking indicator it does not mean it is a new action.

I have heard people say another way to tell a new action from an old action is the accutrigger but that is not 100% correct. It is mostly correct but not all accutrigger guns will be 4.40".

And finally, do not assume that if it is bought new it will be the later, better, action because I have bought brand new Savages 10 years after they were produced as new guns.

Guns that have the accustock ALWAYS are the new 4.40" receiver. But that does not matter because it uses a unique recoil lug making it impossible to swap stocks unless you disassemble the gun and install a traditional recoil lug.

None of this matters if you are buying it to leave it completely stock.

And why would any of this matter? Because if you buy a Savage made before ~2006 and it has an issue Savage will NOT honor their lifetime warranty. Even if it is a manufacturer's defect they refuse to send parts, accept it for repair or do anything to correct the issue. That is because in ~2006 Savage was sold off and the new owners are refusing to honor any previously made guns. Additionally, parts for the earlier gun are very hard to find on the secondary market. You can modify the newer parts to work on the older guns but it requires experience to know what must be done to make them safe.

The Savage Axis/Edge is a completely different action and the ONLY thing that will interchange is the barrels.

And finally, if anyone has any questions regarding Savages feel free to send me a PM. I am intimately familiar with the Savage action and what it takes to get them to shoot better than they already do. I have tweaked factory guns and the results are sub .4" groups at 100 yards using all factory parts.

Give me a call sometime Kevin so we can discuss. Also, next time you come out I will show you what to look for.

• Like 4

They're all amazingly accurate. The 14/114 are quite attractive as well.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_1898.jpg.html]IMG_1898.jpg[/URL]

Edited by gregintenn