Is There Such A Thing As Clean Ammo?

....and to have fire, you need fuel. Ahhhhh, semantics.

well, again, if you used hydrogen or one of the propane type gasses as your powder... it wouldn't leave anywhere near as much.   Its not practical to do this and I am not sure it would generate the power we need.   Its possible to burn clean.

it would be interesting to try to make something cleaner in a powder, but it probably would end up costing like $100 / pound or something.

Edited by Jonnin
  • 3 years later...

Specifically, 9mm range ammo?

Been shooting a bunch of the WM Win 124 NATO with no issues other than quite a bit of residue, especially on the feed ramps of my CZs.

With all brand name brass around $10/50 or less, any suggestions?

Doesn't specifically need to be 124gr.

Thanks!

It's mostly target practice, so  I buy cheap AMMO (Blazer, Aquilla, some CCI, or whatever is brass or aluminum and cheap) and hope it shoots.

Then clean gun, I get fun out of disassembly and cleaning (double fun messing with guns).😊

I do buy better Defense Rounds (must be better if it costs more). I don't shoot those much at $0.75 plus a round (maybe use them up every year or every other year to make sure gun runs the hollow points). So, don't worry about dirty once a year.  

• Like 1

I've had good luck with Lawman for target rounds, as it's made by Speer (who also makes the Gold-Dots I carry for personal protection). Also in 124 grain!  My belief is (right or wrong...), that the target ammo will perform similar to the defensive ammo by the same manufacturer. In fact I can almost recall reading that Speer designs it that way (or I could be BS'ing myself). If you shop around and wait for sales, free shipping offers, etc., you can get it at somewhat reasonable prices, and just make sure you stock up. That Ammo-bot website is useful.

I had really bad luck using Walmart ammo (cough, winchester, cough...) not only being dirty, but FTF, stovepipes, and other performance issues. Switched back to 'quality' rounds, nary a problem. Now that being said, would make for a good training exercise to intentionally mix in some sub-par ammo with the hope that it precipitates a problem, forcing you to hone your recovery skills.

- K

• Like 1