Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

Anybody seen one of these before?

image-1.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI7YXCMNRD

It looks like they have taken a pneumatic speargun and turned it into a hunting hunting gun.  Back during my scuba diving days one of the warnings on my pneumatic speargun was to not fire it out of the water.  Not sure if that was a physical limitation warning or they just didn't want you launching spears at your friends. :rofl:  

It is a cross between a crossbow and a gun.  Shoots full size arrows at 450 fps.  That is fast.  

Jim Shockey was asked to test it and has taken a 1800b bison with one.  

If this catches on, I wonder if it would ever be approved for use in a bow season.

http://thinkingafield.org/2015/12/17167.html#more-17167

I just saw an article on that yesterday as well.  Interesting concept for sure.  Probably not something I would buy, but kind of neat none the less.  I still can't bring myself to get a crossbow as I think of it as cheating in a way.   I hunt for the sport and challenge, not the meat, so I understand each persons needs varies.

• Like 1

I would get one if it was cheaper.  At over $800 they can keep it, I'll stick to a bow or crossbow...But I like the concept, and if it gets some following then maybe the price tag will come down to a more affordable level.

• Like 1

Cinimatic special effects folks have been using punamatic guns to shoot arrows for a long time now so its not suprising the concepts finally gotten to the point of commercial marketing. I like it, if it becomes cost effective I'd like to have one to see how well it preforms. Given the current state of technology in crossbows used for hunting this "air gun" bolt thrower isn't that far of a step beyond.

I still can't bring myself to get a crossbow as I think of it as cheating in a way.   I hunt for the sport and challenge, not the meat, so I understand each persons needs varies.

My Dad felt the same way (except we wanted the meat :)  ).  

But, when he was involved in a motorcycle accident and lost much of the use of one of his shoulders, he got a medical waiver and hunted with a crossbow (unless its changed, in Wisconsin, the only way you can hunt with a crossbow during Bow Season is with a medical waiver).

I don't hunt anymore, but I'd like to have one of these.  $800 + is silly, but if they work and come WAY down in price, I'll be getting one.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1

My Dad felt the same way (except we wanted the meat :)  ).  

But, when he was involved in a motorcycle accident and lost much of the use of one of his shoulders, he got a medical waiver and hunted with a crossbow (unless its changed, in Wisconsin, the only way you can hunt with a crossbow during Bow Season is with a medical waiver).

I don't hunt anymore, but I'd like to have one of these.  $800 + is silly, but if they work and come WAY down in price, I'll be getting one.

I agree.  My brother and I just bought my dad a crossbow.  He is 71 and while still in good health, he just can't hold a bow back that easy anymore.  In those cases, I am all for it.  I am not quite there.....yet.  ;)