New Rimless Revolver

HoustonGrey

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I *would* like to have a .40S&W revolver and the S&W610 is pricey enough it might be a while...

Is Charter Arms really that bad?

I have a .38 from the 60s that is still solid ...

Conventional wisdom seems that for a few years normal build quality suffered and perhaps best to avoid those branded as "Charter 2000".

- OS

I haven't owned/shot a Charter Arms revolver in over 20 years. I had one in .38 special & another in .44 special I think it was. A Bulldog maybe? They both ended up with dangerously loose cylinders after very little use. I got rid of them and have never tried another one.

What has CA done to improve quality? Granted they were good BUGs but now I carry a PM40 or a LCP if I want something small. Have any of you really shot one hard to see how it holds up? I'd be curious to know.

CHerokee Slim

I haven't owned/shot a Charter Arms revolver in over 20 years. I had one in .38 special & another in .44 special I think it was. A Bulldog maybe? They both ended up with dangerously loose cylinders after very little use. I got rid of them and have never tried another one.

Well, Charter (along with Taurus/Rossi) has long been considered a "second tier" maker, but your experience with models of 20 years ago seems to be atypical. Granted, this is not from my firsthand experience of shooting one a heck of a lot, but rather from lots of webbing, as I really looked into buying a modern one about a year ago. (I wound up buying Ruger, btw).

- OS

Guest Astra900

Looks to me like you'd have to eject the brass ALL the way out of the cylinder and pick them off the built in moon clip. Sounds like a fun gun to play with, but might be a bit clumsy to reload on the fly.

Looks to me like you'd have to eject the brass ALL the way out of the cylinder and pick them off the built in moon clip. Sounds like a fun gun to play with, but might be a bit clumsy to reload on the fly.

If you read the description it seems otherwise.

The secret is the patent-pending Charter Arms Rimless Revolver Round System. Basically, when a round is loaded into the chamber a specialized spring engages the cartridge’s ejector groove. When the cylinder is opened and the ejector rod operated, it extracts and ejects the fired cases.

If you carry a 19 why not get a 26 for a bug?

I am looking for a pocket gun. I have a Ruger LCP that works well but it is a .380 and if I could use the same ammo that would be nice. I wear dress slacks for work so the LCP is light enough to be comfortable and discreet. Can I carry a 26 in dress slacks? I would think it is too heavy. Does anyone carry this way?

Mick

I had a .38 cal. charter arms fishin weight when I was about 18.I would say in 20 years they have improved the reliability or they would have been shut down by now.

I would have to say buyer beware!!!

Smith & Wesson started making them almost 30 years ago, but they have never really been in much demand.

Model 547 K-Frame

Model 940 J-Frame

You need moon clips with the Smiths. The idea with the Charter is you don't.

I really like the idea, but the mechanism seems kinda iffy.

Edited by Garufa
  • Administrator
I am looking for a pocket gun. I have a Ruger LCP that works well but it is a .380 and if I could use the same ammo that would be nice. I wear dress slacks for work so the LCP is light enough to be comfortable and discreet. Can I carry a 26 in dress slacks? I would think it is too heavy. Does anyone carry this way?

Mick

I'm convinced that the Glock 26 and 27 were built for cartoon characters with three fat fingers and a thumb. They are possibly the only people who could ever find those particular Glocks comfortable to shoot as they certainly weren't designed to be "ultra concealable".

• Fat grip... CHECK!
  • Short grip... CHECK!
  • Fat slide... CHECK!

I owned a 27 for a while. I couldn't place my finger (no pun intended) on why I didn't like it when I owned it, but it dawned on me subsequent to buying a Glock 23 and then later a Glock 19. The 26/27 just suck from an ergonomics standpoint. :bowrofl: