Dislocated my shoulder

Pete123

So, dislocated my shoulder earlier this week.

I got lost in a bad part of town.  There was a big group of thugs getting ready to attack this young woman.  Well, of course I couldn't sit back and watch that happen, so I cleaned house.

Then, while finding my way home I came across a grizzly bear getting ready to eat two small kids and I had to save them and dislocated my shoulder while pulling the bears teeth out.

Well, at least that's the official story.  

The truth - the cat pissed me off.  I threw a hand towel at him and my shoulder dislocated.  Aging sucks - really it sucks!

• Like 5

Tell the truth, you been shooting hot loads again haven't you!

Funny you should mention that.

I was just cleaning up my Enfield No.5 Jungle.

If not familiar with this gun, it was designed from the ground up for maximum recoil.

They started with an Enfield receiver and barrel and scalloped away all steel that wasn't completely necessary.

Then, they put a straight stock on it.

Then, they used the 303 British round, which certainly isn't a .223

Then, they took a piece of very hard rubber and reduced its size, the impact being that the force is concentrated on a smaller area.

• Like 1

Funny you should mention that.

I was just cleaning up my Enfield No.5 Jungle.

If not familiar with this gun, it was designed from the ground up for maximum recoil.

They started with an Enfield receiver and barrel and scalloped away all steel that wasn't completely necessary.

Then, they put a straight stock on it.

Then, they used the 303 British round, which certainly isn't a .223

Then, they took a piece of very hard rubber and reduced its size, the impact being that the force is concentrated on a smaller area.

Yeah, I've got  one of those I inherited from my father and not only will it kick you into the next Zip code prefix it's also got a wandering zero. The rubber butt pad was supposed to help with recoil but even when said recoil pad was new and not the now ossified hard rubber it still kicked.

Yeah, I'm ok.  The first dislocation was a bad one.  This dislocated to the front which isn't that bad.

Not to compare to a shoulder in severity, and my condolences, but my left elbow is trashed in that way. Broken twice and dislocated badly twice through the years.

Needed the Tommy Johns fix, but by the time I could afford to have it done when I turned 65, the surgeon was more than willing to do it,  but talked me out of it. Said with all the years of osteo buildup and whatnot there, that if he made it good and tight again the chances were it would cause chronic pain there. So I took his advice and just live with the sloppy connections.

- OS

Take care of that shoulder, Pete. My wife has a bad issue with her left shoulder as well. It's been knocked out so many times the rotator cuff is scored so badly the orthopedic guy says it's going to need major work soon. After getting a knee replacement...she says it ain't gonna happen.

Last time it dislocated, it went behind. I bet you know what that means. I've never heard her scream like that as they tried to roll it back into place.

So again, be careful. Don't want to hear anything like that coming from you.

• Like 1

Not so sure the shoulder is worse than the elbow - you really need them both.

There are a lot of nerves in the shoulder area, so the pain is tremendous.  Once it's back in it isn't so bad.

Elbow isn't so bad, no actual joint there, just held together by ligaments, which are stretched and torn.  It actually doesn't prevent carrying stuff or pulling with it but any lateral type movement can pop it out of alignment, makes a big bulge just like there were a joint there though. Doesn't take a lot of force to do it, just the perfect little pressure at the wrong angle, something as simple as pushing a patio door closed with back of hand.

Biggest downside is just not being able to trust it, as it does hurt like a bitch if you do it, and for a few days after, and the whole left arm basically atrophies in strength as you just won't use it to potential even in normal day to day tasks.

- OS

Shoulders go downhill pretty quickly. Generally stiffness is your enemy. Early intervention is better. Get to an orthopedist, establish a correct diagnosis, then pick your option. Everyone on TGO wants to help but internet treatment isn't the way to do it.

So, dislocated my shoulder earlier this week.

I got lost in a bad part of town.  There was a big group of thugs getting ready to attack this young woman.  Well, of course I couldn't sit back and watch that happen, so I cleaned house.

Then, while finding my way home I came across a grizzly bear getting ready to eat two small kids and I had to save them and dislocated my shoulder while pulling the bears teeth out.

Well, at least that's the official story.  

The truth - the cat pissed me off.  I threw a hand towel at him and my shoulder dislocated.  Aging sucks - really it sucks!

My son has a co-worker who threw his shoulder out in his yard throwing dog poo at the dog owner.  Twice!  :D

I've had shoulder issues since high school wrestling.  I've learned that I have to exercise and keep the surrounding muscles toned, because the ligaments and such just don't do a good job holding the joint together anymore.  There's specific exercises to target different areas.  A friend's wife is a physical therapist and recommended a few things, and they help.  It doesn't really slow me down, but I've also learned that there's certain movements I have to be very careful with or avoid altogether.  Most all of that learning came the hard way.

I've talked with several people who've had similar problems and had surgery to fix it.  The standard answer is to put off surgery until you can't stand it any longer.  The surgery is very painful, and full recovery generally takes an entire year.  The latest surgical techniques may have improved that. 

Last time I threw my shoulder out, I was throwing a frisbee for my dog.  :wall:   Thankfully that's been several years ago.

Edited by peejman

I'm definitely taking it easy.  Got to the physical therapist Thursday and have been doing what she told me to do.  

That would really suck to have people letting their dog crap in your yard, then you dislocate your shoulder throwing their dog poop back at them.