What is This? Solar/Compression Furnace Thingy

This was in a house I was hired to clean out.  It wasn't attached (and, yes, I asked specifically if I was supposed to take it).

According to the instructions, it goes in series between a solar collector and storage.  

But Bing has turned up nothing.  Google brought up a Popular Science article from 1984, which I have gotten a chance to read.

Is it useful if I am interested in using solar energy?  Got any idea of a value?

Thanks

23954784000_004dab4248_k.jpg

It looks like a liquid to liquid heat pump. I have seen similar systems in industrial applications (Paper Mills) but MUCH larger. I would think there may be an efficiency trade off that might make it less than economical for home heating. You will be using electricity to run the compressor and that has to come from somewhere and isn't free.

If you know someone that does geothermal heat systems they could probably explain it better and give you an idea if it is practical to use as their equipment will work in a similar fashion.

Um...you can view the image at its native resolution and it is perfectly legible. Computer skills FTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if by using the term "incomprehensible" vs "unreadable" or similar that he may be referring to the idea that the text may be confusing, not illegible.
  • Like 1

Ah ha! That's a thermo-syphon heat exchanger which works similaraly to a geo-thermal heater. External solar collectors transfer heat to a fluid which is pumped through the coils of the heater and said heat forced into your heat pump. Sidecariest pretty much summed up the rest. You can do almost the same thing by making a framebox with a glass cover, fill it with empty beverage cans you've painted black, place said box outside a window where the most sun is recieved. Then run a duct into the window and viola, very simple solar heat.

I don't know how effective your set up there's going to be but suspect it didn't do well enough to be commercialy sucessful. I'd hang onto it for a bit as it might become somewhat valualbe in the future.

It looks like it's the same thing as a geo thermal or water source heat pump that gets the water heated by the sun instead of taking it out the ground or other water source. I can see it working well if the sun is shinning but useless when it's cold and there is no sun. You couldn't rely on that for your only heat source. 

It was all perfectly clear until I got to this part.  Carnot%20Eq._zpsggytdr7f.jpg

The energy change through the cycle is proportional to the heat input and absolute temperature.  Since the process isn't "perfect", the total actual energy change must be less than or equal to the total ideal energy change. 

What's not clear about that?   ;)

• Like 1

The energy change through the cycle is proportional to the heat input and absolute temperature.  Since the process isn't "perfect", the total actual energy change must be less than or equal to the total ideal energy change. 

What's not clear about that?   ;)

Thanks peejman, Now that you put it that way it makes perfect sense.  :up:

• Like 1

What's not clear about that?  

Oh I can figure that formula out just fine as long as I have access to Google, Wikipedia and a couple of math sites. I even understand how the system works, but as me to write that stuff down in anything other then every day words...forget it....LOL 

The energy change through the cycle is proportional to the heat input and absolute temperature. Since the process isn't "perfect", the total actual energy change must be less than or equal to the total ideal energy change.

What's not clear about that? ;)

Let's play "find the engineers"
  • Like 2

Let's play "find the engineers"

:hiding:

Wait... it's been how many years since I took thermo?  :dropjaw:    I used the wiki page too...  :angel: 

All that calculus is just the "proof" (remember those?  :eek: )  of the equation used to calculate the thermal efficiency of the cycle.   As for that doodad, I'd be shocked if it was more about 10%. 

• Admin Team

Wait... it's been how many years since I took thermo?  :dropjaw:    I used the wiki page too...  :angel:

All that calculus is just the "proof" (remember those?  :eek: )  of the equation used to calculate the thermal efficiency of the cycle.   As for that doodad, I'd be shocked if it was more about 10%. 

I've got a friend who went several years working between undergrad and getting his masters, and then again for a few years before he went back for a PhD.  When he speaks about it these days, he talks about having to teach himself calculus three different times...

I've got a friend who went several years working between undergrad and getting his masters, and then again for a few years before he went back for a PhD.  When he speaks about it these days, he talks about having to teach himself calculus three different times...

How's ole Richard Noggin doing these days?  Last I saw him was at the TTU baja race a few years ago.  Gonna be back there again this spring, btw.  

Wait... it's been how many years since I took thermo? :dropjaw: I used the wiki page too... :angel:

All that calculus is just the "proof" (remember those? :eek: ) of the equation used to calculate the thermal efficiency of the cycle. As for that doodad, I'd be shocked if it was more about 10%.

Well if you had asked I would have gladly passed on my Schaum's Guides in thermodynamics for you to read. Lol.
  • Like 1

Looked at solar heating before built my house, this was probably used to duct heated liquid thru a heat sink[ rocks or other material to collect heat during daylight houurs] and then air would be pumped thru the sink for night time transfer of heat. Just never caught on.