Royal Range's Range Now Open

KahrMan

Sweet, about time.

Not a huge fan a indoor ranges with all the rules and making it the most boring shooting possible, but that said  :surrender: - please Royal range, take my money - it's getting cold outside, and I want to get more efficient at my long distance (25yd+)  shooting with my pistol(s).

Any word on pricing?  That'll be the make-or-break test for me.  Already feel like Nashville Armory is overpriced and hope Royal is not the same way.

FWIW, I went to an amazing range over Christmas which had a 100yard range and unlimited range access if you commit to a $35/month membership.  It really put the Nahsville Armory to shame both in terms of facilities and pricing.

EDIT: just called them.  $25 per hour on the tactical range.  others are not open yet. 

Edited by ExMachina

Pistol range will be 20/hr and 60yard rifle range 35/hr.

Thanks. Any knowledge as to whether they planning on offering memberships? 

EDIT:  they say they ARE going to offer memberships but have no idea as to cost. won't happen until all the ranges are completed

Edited by ExMachina

Ouch.

Yep. I agree. I know it takes a lot of green to put a range together, but it sure seems like the hourly rates are getting too steep for some of us. Like me, for instance. It may get to the point I have to if I want to shoot, but I'm not there yet.
$25 per hour on the tactical range

Pistol range will be 20/hr and 60yard rifle range 35/hr.

Sigh.  Yeah, too rich for my blood too,  But then again I am not their target demographic (and I'm guessing most of us here aren't either).  

They're competing for the younger, less experienced folks who seem to be flocking to Nashville's condos and have surplus money to spend.  That demographic will pay for the comfortable environment and added amenities offered by places like the Nashville Armory and now,the Royal Range.  And, in as much as it might encourage more novices to take up shooting, it should be a good thing.   Heck, I see the appeal myself. I simply can't justify the expense.

Edited by ExMachina

I agree - the hourly rates are steep.

But I'm interested in the annual membership rates, Nashville Armory is 500/yr - if Royal Range could be closer to 400/yr - I can justify that. When I had an indoor range membership before, I'd just about work a range trip into almost every week - could easily do that how close I am to RR.

Prices will not keep me away.  There are several things to consider besides just the price per hour.  I live about 8 minutes from here.  If I want to shoot outside for free or at a cheap range I am at a minimum 45mins to an hour away.  Each way.    I would much rather pay for a short shooting session rather than take 2.5-3 hrs when i have other things to do.

I will probably also use the rifle range to sight in my rifles when I need to.  The convenience for me is worth the money. 

Plus it is a lot easier to get my wife to go to a range to shoot verse going out in the woods.   :rofl:

:2cents:

• Like 3

Prices will not keep me away.  There are several things to consider besides just the price per hour.  I live about 8 minutes from here.  If I want to shoot outside for free or at a cheap range I am at a minimum 45mins to an hour away.  Each way.    I would much rather pay for a short shooting session rather than take 2.5-3 hrs when i have other things to do.

I will probably also use the rifle range to sight in my rifles when I need to.  The convenience for me is worth the money. 

Plus it is a lot easier to get my wife to go to a range to shoot verse going out in the woods.   :rofl:

You make valid points. But I'm 25 miles away and don't have the location advantage you do. That said, I might try it out sometime.

$35, holy mother..

For that price will my lane at least take me out to dinner first?

You know...I had the same reaction initially. lol

I bet you're a bit of an old crumegeon like me. And I'm working on that mag throne. I ordered 15 E-Lander mags from Botach earlier this week. I can make a small chair so far.

Say what you want about prices but the last two times I've been to nashville armory there has been a waiting list to shoot. Someone is paying.

Of course people are paying.  Just like people are paying for those new $10k/month apartments on Music Row.

For good or ill, boutique shooting ranges are here to stay.   

I'm thankful for my $50/year membership at Gallatin Gun Club. Even during the winter months, I can usually find a couple days each month that are warm enough to go shooting.

+1 on both counts.

I'm never letting my Gallatin membership slip away unless I someday have my own land where I can shoot at 300 yds or more. But I'm in the same 'hood as KahrMan and it's an hour each way to GGC. After work is an option now that the new parking lot laws are in effect (less risk of getting fired), but that's only an option in the summer with later sunsets and even then it puts me home at 8pm or later. I suspect I'll be going to Gallatin as much as I do now, but will fill in some time at the RR guntry club with a few visits a year. AFAIK, 60yds is the longest indoor range in the area.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this thread.

Went to royal range yesterday and shot on the pistol range - quite nice and had the place to myself at 11:30 for almost the whole hour until another couple came in when I was finishing up. Place is nice and shiny new, people were quite friendly, and the ranges were VERY well lit (hate the dim indoor range lighting). Ammo prices seemed quite good, especially for a range. Did not go to the gun counter - lest I be tempted with money I don't need to spend.

The only thing I didn't like was the target computer/control thing. It worked fine and was easy to use but they had preset distances for the carry class - set to 8, 14, 20, 30, 36 and 45 feet. The RO showed me how to use it, and just to use the preset distances - I didn't ask IF/HOW to set to my own distances but I will next time. I would much rather shoot in yard increments, and be able to set for each distances I prefer. Hopefully you CAN set your own distances, and will find out soon - hopefully they wouldn't have everything preset - especially the other ranges.

They do have annual memberships

-Base Membership- (Non Peak Hours)

Monday-Friday

• Unlimited shooting Monday-Friday.
  • 4:00 pm every day is the check-in cut off time.

Gold Membership

Couple Membership

Add a child for 199.00

Gold and Family Memberships include the following:

• Unlimited shooting
  • 1/2 Price Range Rental Guns
  • 15% Off Training Classes
  • Member only special sales
  • 25.00 FFL Transfers (includes TBI fee)
  • Free Lane Reservations (with 24hr Notice)

*Members may book a lane 24-72 hours in advance.

The base membership works perfect for me, as I can get in on slow days, rain days, when we finish early etc.. I don't have the availability on week nights, and don't prefer to fight the crowds on weekends and try to keep my weekends for getting out to shoot matches anyways.

So I'm looking forward to getting my membership (what I believe is a good deal, for what I need) this week and having a new range close by to go shoot at.