Comcast...lost emails.

TN-popo

I don't use Comcast email and can't take a look.  Having said that, I have a few suggestions based on issues like this that have happened in the past.

It's possible that the inbox is gone, though that's less likely than some other things. 

1. Check to see if your inbox has been archived, if so, see if you can reverse it.

2. Check to see if your inbox has been 'hidden'

3. Google 'comcast inbox disappeared' and see if that comes up with anything.

4. Call Comcast tech support.  I put that one last as Comcast is so hard to deal with.

email settings matter.   Could be a local problem, for example if you are using the settings to store it locally and delete it from the server after it is downloaded to you (common for people that check mail on a single machine).   In that case, its a problem on your pc.    Could be the reverse (common for people that check it on multiple devices) ... a problem over at Comcast.    Could be a combo (and still a problem on your PC or device, but fixable since its stored in both places).   Etc.

In any event,

if it is stored at Comcast

it is highly likely they can restore you from a backup.   if not

they can still restore recent stuff, but old stuff may be gone for good.

going forward, I advise using a client that can store it locally on one of your machines (whether you leave it on the server or not) and periodically backing up the files that it generates.  

Edited by Jonnin

Thanks all (DaveTN, I'm writing this not having fully read your provided link yet...I will shortly).

In doing a search, this is exactly what happened to me...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Email-inbox-deleted/td-p/1437787

I checked everything on my end and all my settings are the same / as I want them.  I'm fairly certain the problem is not here.  This will be a Comcast Tech call and there better be some love when my next bill rolls around.

• Like 1
I made the mistake of relying on Comcast email for EVERYTHING. I didn't consider what would happen if I were to ever leave Comcast. Well, that happened, and it was a nightmare.

Once I canceled my service, Comcast let me continue using my email for what I belive was a couple months. I used that time to switch EVERYTHING to Gmail. Talk about a pain.

Ironically,  my emails are intact and the account still functions.   I canceled my account back when they banned gun stores from advertising with them... but they were too inept to figure out how to kill the account totally.  

Comcast is my ISP, but I've used Pegasus email since before the web was born.

Just pop the emails from all my different accounts to local storage on my desktop and laptop boxes. Can transfer the whole thang to different puter when time to switch..

I never used webmail except once in a while when I'm out and about and need to access from someone else's puter.

On the other hand, I don't access the net with smart phone either, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot