AK 74 can handle 223 NATO ammo ?

An old pal of mine said he read the above in Guns & Ammo back in the early 80's.. I don't think so , but he said it's possible.. I know the 223 case is 45 mm long & such but he insists the commie gun was designed to eat NATO ammo but not the reverse. Can anyone de-bunk his assumption ? Thanks

Total BS.  There are persistent rumors that commie guns could use US ammo but not vice versa.  The first time I heard it, the person referred to 7.62 AK ammo not able to be used in an M-14 but our ammo could be used in theirs.  After I finished laughing, I showed him the two cartridges.

Do NOT try to shoot 5.56 in a 5.45mm rifle. 

The only ammo that fits this myth is using US 1940-1970 81mm and 60mm mortar ammo in commie 82mm and 60mm mortars.  I would not try it using any US ammo more recent that Vietnam vintage as the newer ammo has much higher pressures.

No, this is actually true. Russian guns were designed to eat everything from .22LR to small artillery shells without the pesky need to swap barrels. They also never, ever, ever, ever, never ever jam. I once saw YouTube video of a Spetznatz Soyuz door gunner who filled his AK47 barrel and chamber with Quik-Crete, let it set for 3 days, then successfully fired a magazine on full auto from it, underwater, upside down, with no hands. It was on the Internet so you know it's true.

• Like 4

No, this is actually true. Russian guns were designed to eat everything from .22LR to small artillery shells without the pesky need to swap barrels. They also never, ever, ever, ever, never ever jam. I once saw YouTube video of a Spetznatz Soyuz door gunner who filled his AK47 barrel and chamber with Quik-Crete, let it set for 3 days, then successfully fired a magazine on full auto from it, underwater, upside down, with no hands. It was on the Internet so you know it's true.

But is he really Spetznaz if he wasn't back flipping while throwing an e-tool?
  • Like 1

I had heard something similar about a Japanese WW2 rifle, that it could eat its own ammo or ours, but not the other way around, but I don't recall which one. Maybe one of the Arisaka Type-xx models? Anyone else ever hear this and is it true?

Edited by monkeylizard

I had heard something similar about a Japanese WW2 rifle, that it could eat its own ammo or ours, but not the other way around, but I don't recall which one. Maybe one of the Arisaka Type-xx models? Anyone else ever hear this and is it true?

The 7.7 Jap has a 58mm case.  30-06 is 63 mm.  Don't know how that would work either.

Videos are better.........LoL

Like TMF, I found out by accident.  It started with some bulk .40 S&W ammo and a Glock 22.  My 13 year old son was loading and shooting and I was at the bench next to him working on something.  There was a shot that sounded like a squib load and the gun didn't cycle.  I got involved and cleared the gun, the bullet cleared the barrel and the case in the picture below is all the proof I have of the fact it can happen.   The remainder of the bulk ammo was check and no more 9mm was found.

2014-02-249508.31.41_zpssy4cxjuf.jpg

Like TMF, I found out by accident.  It started with some bulk .40 S&W ammo and a Glock 22.  My 13 year old son was loading and shooting and I was at the bench next to him working on something.  There was a shot that sounded like a squib load and the gun didn't cycle.  I got involved and cleared the gun, the bullet cleared the barrel and the case in the picture below is all the proof I have of the fact it can happen.   The remainder of the bulk ammo was check and no more 9mm was found.

2014-02-249508.31.41_zpssy4cxjuf.jpg

I found out when I was shooting my dad's newly issued Beretta 96.  His agency switched from the 92 to the 96, so I wanted to give it a shot.  He was up shooting and I was jamming mags for myself.  Apparently there was still a box of 9mm in there mixed with his .40 ammo, so I loaded the wrong stuff.  I locked and loaded, went to fire and the damn thing wasn't cycling.  I shot 3 rounds through it before I dropped the mag and took a look.  BTW, it still grouped just fine at 10m with 9mm in a .40 barrel.

• 3 weeks later...