Need to order suppressor, know absolutely nothing about them.

ok so got that 9mm mp5 on the way and was going to wait until it was SBRd before finding a suppressor but with all the hoopla going on with trusts, I want to go ahead and order it now.  The gun has a 1/2" x 28 threaded barrel with a 3 lug quick attachment (not sure what the 3 lug thing means).

I seen that there are some multi-caliber suppressors around, and it would be great if there was a decent one that would do 9mm & 45, but if there is a massive difference in noise reduction, I would rather get a dedicated 9mm one for this gun.

Can anyone point me in the direction to get started on the hunt?  And what kind of differences in we're looking at for multi-caliber suppressors as compared to single.

I run a Silencerco Octane 9 on my 9mm SBR.  Can't be more pleased with its performance.  Rated full auto,  it will also run on my 300 BLK SBR with subsonic ammo by changing the threaded booster end cap.  If you think you may go 45 ACP some day, look at the Octane 45.  I also have a Gemtech Tundra in 9mm.  It performs OK, but an in warranty repair took 3 months.

If you want more information on cans, call Mike, at Law Enforcement Sales.  He will not steer you wrong.

Will definitely be interested in .45 on my composite guns (not messing with the 1911s).

Someone mentioned the octane 45 in a pm, so I checked it out, looks ok but for $100 more, that company offers one called a hybrid that if I read right, will even work on my ar10 and puts 9mm in the 125db range. Do you know much about those?

I'm not familiar with the sites that sell suppressors - looked around and cannot find anyone that says the silincerco hybrid was in stock.  If anyone can find that for me, I would greatly appreciate it.  Want to just order one of them.  Would prefer for out of state to save on sales tax, but will do local if it's reasonably priced. 

Edited by Sam1

I'm not familiar with the sites that sell suppressors - looked around and cannot find anyone that says the silincerco hybrid was in stock.  If anyone can find that for me, I would greatly appreciate it.  Want to just order one of them.  Would prefer for out of state to save on sales tax, but will do local if it's reasonably priced. 

Buy in state, the money your thinking of saving on tax you'll paying the dealer for a transfer fee and you'll wait extra time for you F3 to clear..

Buy in state, the money your thinking of saving on tax you'll paying the dealer for a transfer fee and you'll wait extra time for you F3 to clear..

good point, thanks.

To nightrunner, if this can go on my rifle and mp5, that's worth the size difference and not using it on a pistol.  Also on the silencerco FB page, someone was saying they've already ordered one from a dealer, but I checked and that specific place is out of stock now.

good point, thanks.

To nightrunner, if this can go on my rifle and mp5, that's worth the size difference and not using it on a pistol. Also on the silencerco FB page, someone was saying they've already ordered one from a dealer, but I checked and that specific place is out of stock now.

They may be out there, I don't know. I just know that they were just released and haven't been out long. Maybe not even long enough for anyone to have their Form4 clear yet.

For comparison, most .22lr cans are 1" diameter, most center fire pistol cans are 1 3/8" or 1.375" diameter, with a few 9mm cans out there at 1 1/4" diameter. .30cal rifle suppressors are about 1.5". This Hybrid is 1.565". Not much bigger but it's bigger than a .30cal rifle can and at 7.8" long it's longer than a Saker 762 or a AAC SDN-6.

If that additional size is worth it to you to use on the MP5 and a .308 AR, then that sounds like it works for you. I don't know of another can that can handle full power .308 and 9mm also. Edited by nightrunner
Sam, be aware that you will need different adapters for a fixed barrel gun (like the mp5) and a tilt barrel gun (like most semi-auto handguns). Many suppressor a only come with a recoil booster adapter (for tilt barrel guns). You would have to buy an adapter for the fixed barrel gun. See this blog entry that explains adapters:

http://blog.silencershop.com/mounting-pistolcaliber-suppressors/

I agree with the above that buying online doesn't save that much money and may take a slight bit longer. If a local shop has the model you want in stock for a similar price, probably a good idea to buy it local.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on that, the adapters were expected, my boss warned me about that part last week.  I was more concerned with getting the can itself and registering it before any changes are made to the trusts.  After seeing that hybrid that ranges from 9mm + .308 I am going to get it.  The only other caliber I want is .45 which would go on my pistols and I may get a dedicated can for those.  Largest focus is the MP5 stuff at the moment, the pistol cans can wait until later... Figured I've never used one in nearly 40 years, so it's no rush.  However, the MP5 thing is just a straight up don't need, but always wanted thing and had the extra funds around so I'm going full-throttle :D

• Like 1