Century Arms Canik TP9-SA

DWARREN123

Picked one up on the first on January, very quickly becoming a favorite pistol

Has a strange decocker on top rear of slide and have to pull slide back 1/4inch to recock.

Got to looking on their web site and saw a SA/DA model, ordered one from Grab A Gun Tuesday evening.

Large pistol (full size) and has 18 round mags  so I have 37 rounds of 9mm on hand to carry.

This pistol is becoming the one I like better than any I have owned and I have owned a few.

• Like 3

I handled this gun at the March NRA show in Nashville. It's a nice looking gun and it felt better than guns costing 2-3 times as much. The trigger was short and relatively light. I've been thinking of getting it in the desert tan color.  A lot of reviewers are put off by the decocker, but based on its position and need for 10 lb of pressure to actuate it, I can't imagine a situation where you could accidentally engage it. Checking to make sure the gun is cocked ought to become second nature before holstering it anyway.

Edited by jgradyc

I'm about to pick one up as well.  I fondled one the other day and liked it enough to decide to buy one.  The trigger is actually really good IMO and it feels great in the hands.  It felt as good as the VP9 I held.  The decocker is a non issue to me.  It really took some pressure for me to actuate it and I can't imagine it would decock the gun accidentally.  

Yeager did a video on it and has a few in rotation for his training classes.  He claims that nobody has ever accidentally decocked one.  

At it's price point, I feel like it's a great value.  

I have had one for about 7 months. My pistol is tan and my first of color. lol

I find it to be a very accurate, comfortable to shoot pistol. I personally prefer it over the VP9, but that's my opinion.

It has a very smooth, short trigger with a distinct break point that I'm estimating at about 3.5 pounds. And a very short, very audible reset.

Follow up shots are ridiculously easy with this pistol. I absolutely love it. My only complaint with it is finding extra mags for it. Strike that, make it was.

I found a dealer on GunBroker who has them. Goes under seller HotRod. Or just search for Canik and you can find him. Mags are priced about like every other one these days...30 bucks apiece. And he even has some 32 rounders for them. lol

I'll stop just short of saying I like it better than my PPQ 9, but the 2 are darn close in all areas.

If you are considering one...don't hesitate. You won't regret it.

• Like 1

BIG fan of my TANIK (I have the desert tan one, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk) TP9sa. Wish there was a TP45sa. Anyone that complains about the decocker must really have ocd issues. It can in NO WAY be engaged accidentally, and for the non-chamber checking morons that pull a trigger on a loaded pistol for field stripping (and you KNOW they exist), it's a much better option to use the decocker.

A compact version would be really nice for EDC, but I'll stick with my full size till that happens...

Picked one up on the first on January, very quickly becoming a favorite pistol

Has a strange decocker on top rear of slide and have to pull slide back 1/4inch to recock.

Got to looking on their web site and saw a SA/DA model, ordered one from Grab A Gun Tuesday evening.

Large pistol (full size) and has 18 round mags  so I have 37 rounds of 9mm on hand to carry.

This pistol is becoming the one I like better than any I have owned and I have owned a few.

Get two of the 20 rounders, and ya got 41 on ya. ;)

BIG fan of my TANIK (I have the desert tan one, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk) TP9sa. Wish there was a TP45sa. Anyone that complains about the decocker must really have ocd issues. It can in NO WAY be engaged accidentally, and for the non-chamber checking morons that pull a trigger on a loaded pistol for field stripping (and you KNOW they exist), it's a much better option to use the decocker.

A compact version would be really nice for EDC, but I'll stick with my full size till that happens...

I have one of these as well and enjoy it. However, if you are clumsy as I am, it is possible to decock the gun. I have a tendency to run into things that can and will decock it while wearing it in an OWB holster. It has only happened once and I was aware of it after my collision.

I have one of these as well and enjoy it. However, if you are clumsy as I am, it is possible to decock the gun. I have a tendency to run into things that can and will decock it while wearing it in an OWB holster. It has only happened once and I was aware of it after my collision.

Musta been one hell of a collision...

Musta been one hell of a collision...

Really! I don't even utilize the decocker. I will check it when unloading or cleaning, but otherwise just forget about it.

Sorta like the safety on the Shield pistols. lol 

While I'm sure someone could accidentally press the decocker in unintentional or hand placement on its upper rear slide I don't know how frequently that would happen. The same applies to the holstered pistol and person carrying such running into something. My personal observations were it took a rather intentional act to press down on the pistols decocker. Any concerns I would have would be whether the decocker design being used would be a potential mechanical failure point at some future point. Overall its proving itself to be a really good pistol.

Since we are talking about the decocker, is there a way to simply disable it?  File something down, or remove a part, or something? 

I just bought mine at lunch and haven't had an opportunity to break it down yet to look.

Edit - They are also coming out with a version that omits the decocker altogether....called "SF" I believe.  Interested to see when they are available and if the price will go up on them.  

Edit #2 - BAM!  Found a non permanent solution for those who wish to disable the decocker:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_36/157293_Disable_TP9SA_Decocker.html

Edited by samson7x

I was very surprised that James Yeager is using these and even made a video about them.

How are parts availability ?

Mags and holsters aren't a problem, aftermarket stuff isn't as common as a Glock or M&P but its actually nice enough out of the box to use as it is. After viewing the pictures and video of the decocker lever I no longer have any concerns. The two springs would be my only concern, keep an eye on them or replace them with stronger springs and never worry. It takes a determined effort to make that decocker work, enough so I wouldn't bother deactivating it. A pair of stronger springs would suffice should I wish to make the decocker harder to activate.

• Like 1

Just finished a trigger job on mine.  Haven't even fired it yet, but that's how I roll.

Trigger measured between 5.5 and 6lbs from the factory, with a little grit on the take up.  I did some polishing on the trigger bar, sear housing, striker, and plunger.  I changed the plunger spring out to a slightly lighter one out of an M&P and changed the striker spring with a lighter one out of a Glock.  Ended up with a SUPER smooth pull at just under 4lbs.  It actually breaks as clean as some of my 1911's which seems crazy for a gun that's a fraction of the cost.  I can bring it down some more with a different trigger return spring, however I didn't have anything on hand that would work.  2.5-3lbs. should be feasible.

I should have a chance to put some rounds downrange this weekend.  If I shoot it fairly well and it's reliable, I think it's a winner.

Just finished a trigger job on mine.  Haven't even fired it yet, but that's how I roll.

Trigger measured between 5.5 and 6lbs from the factory, with a little grit on the take up.  I did some polishing on the trigger bar, sear housing, striker, and plunger.  I changed the plunger spring out to a slightly lighter one out of an M&P and changed the striker spring with a lighter one out of a Glock.  Ended up with a SUPER smooth pull at just under 4lbs.  It actually breaks as clean as some of my 1911's which seems crazy for a gun that's a fraction of the cost.  I can bring it down some more with a different trigger return spring, however I didn't have anything on hand that would work.  2.5-3lbs. should be feasible.

I should have a chance to put some rounds downrange this weekend.  If I shoot it fairly well and it's reliable, I think it's a winner.

WOW you make it sound like it is as easy as a GLock to detail strip the whole gun down. Is it that easy ? Does it have more or fewer parts than a GLock ? Any special tools needed ?

WOW you make it sound like it is as easy as a GLock to detail strip the whole gun down. Is it that easy ? Does it have more or fewer parts than a GLock ? Any special tools needed ?

It's not as easy as a glock and there are more parts in a TP9, but it's not too bad either.  You have to remove the decocker, which is no big deal.  The plunger/extractor interface takes a bit of patience to get back together.  The sear block comes right out it's like a two sear system if that makes sense.  They are both contained within the block and I didn't remove them at all.  To polish the area where the trigger bar rides on the block, it was not necessary to remove them. Removing the striker spring takes more patience than a glock as well.  The spring retaining cups are really long, so you have to depress the spring quite a bit to get them out.  

No special tools required.  I used a punch/hammer and a small flat head screwdriver.  I also used some needle nose pliers to remove the trigger return spring.  

Edited by samson7x
  • Like 1