Looks like Wideners has been sold

Was in Avery outdoors this morning. The powder wall is full with extra in the back. Primers were a plenty. Projectiles and brass of all favors. They even had roughly 8,000 LR 22 on the shelf with another 8K in the back. I would think with what 2 Bass Pros have plus Avery one could find enough to get by on.

What did they have for Pistol powders?

I've been there numerous times in the last few months, and they never have anything but rifle powders.

Kurt

Wideners has stopped local pick up also. I have bought quite a bit of reloading supplies from them but guess I won't anymore. No way am I paying shipping charges to somewhere that is 15 min from the house.

Yeah that pretty much seals the deal.

• Like 1

Wideners has stopped local pick up also. I have bought quite a bit of reloading supplies from them but guess I won't anymore. No way am I paying shipping charges to somewhere that is 15 min from the house.

They are nothing more than another Internet retailer now.....I used them over others because they were local and I could pick up my order, saving me lots of money in hazmat and shipping. Looks like Mahoney's and Volunteer will be getting more of my business now.

• Like 2

Hate to hear this - they were the one place I could find kegs of Red Dot and Green Dot of late, and no shipping was a real bonus.  Hope Gamaliel gets some in before fall, when I will need more.

I've got a couple of powders on order from Gamaliel going back almost a year. Green Dot is one of them.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you can order 64lbs with one fee so put your money together with friends and save even more. Sunfish

Ditto!

I used to do this quite a bit with my previous hobby - Salt Water Reef Keeping (and I'll bet you thought the "Reefer" meant something else, didn't you? :dirty: )

There are a bunch of suppliers on the west coast, a few in FLA, and 1 or 2 inland... but shipping little bags filled w/ saltwater and twig's of coral are pretty expensive (first AM overnight delivery from LA _used_ to run around 70-80 bucks per cooler, which only holds 12-15 coral frags, etc.) We had formed a club up there (Upstate Reef Society) for social reasons as well as sharing knowledge, and many of us would gang up orders to save on shipping. 20-bucks for a coral wasn't too bad, and you only had to swallow 5-10 for shipping, which was far better than the premium local fish stores would charge (to offset their shipping costs and losses, etc. - it wasn't uncommon to have half-your cooler die due to shipping stresses).

It's unfortunate to lose a local vendor, and I encourage everyone to support local small business in which you are interested as much as possible... but I don't think any of us are an individual charity. It'd be nice if there were a group of people you could talk to on the internet and throw out a conversation to strike up an order pool or something?

- K

Wideners apparently overhauled all their ground shipment contracts last week, too. No stone left unturned, eh?

I noticed they haven't had any prepaid shipping deals lately. The ones where they pack a bunch of bullets in a USPS flat rate box and make your mailman hate you.
  • 1 month later...

This was news to me, I went to their site today and was glad to see that they had everything that I needed. The frist thing I ask was if I place an order today can I pick it up tomorrow, that when I was told that they no longer had in store pickup. I sure hate that.

Just my 2 cents

Well I guess that luck was on my side or better yet I just living right. I had to stop at Walmart this afternoon and low and behold on the shelf was 2 lbs of IR 4064, that was the part of the order that caused my concern from Widener's be cause of the hazmat ship.

Was a Great Day

• Like 1

May have to get a coworker in Va. To order for me from Natchez. Wideners has nothing going for then.
I have been buying from Mahoneys and Cabelas any way.

I try not to buy anything from Mahoney's. I turn invisible when I walk in there because I am not a buddy of any of the sales personnel.
  • Like 1